Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13126 times)

zootv

Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
I'm hoping that this is one of the weaker tracks off the new album, that's why they gave it to RED. If this turns out to be one of the stronger tracks on the album, then I'm giving up on any chance of U2 ever releasing another great album.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm hoping that this is one of the weaker tracks off the new album, that's why they gave it to RED. If this turns out to be one of the stronger tracks on the album, then I'm giving up on any chance of U2 ever releasing another great album.

What happens if the new album has a cohesive sound?

zootv

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »

What happens if the new album has a cohesive sound?

Well that depends on the overall cohesion. If Invisible is a lull in the cohesion, then the album has great potential. If Invisible is the climax so to speak, then not so much.

zootv

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
I must say I'm listening to it now through a pair of very good headphones. Much better.

Offline Wtn24

• Stateless
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
Love it!!

Offline shadent

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »
Significantly better than Ordinary Love. There's a reason Bono said this wasn't the 1st single, it's not strong enough. To help Red it's just fine

Offline ehtaerb

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Have to agree with a lot of the comments so far - it is too pop/electronic for me too.

I hope Bono & the boys grow some balls and get back to the rock roots & uplifting anthems, but I fear they are chasing that 'relevant' and 'radio friendly' dream......

Offline Candysroom

• Stateless
  • Aged U2, Bruce & Bowie fan. Prone to Gavin Friday.
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
I think the video looks better than the song sounds on first listen. That's not the way I want it to be. Will keep listening.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
I think the video looks better than the song sounds on first listen. That's not the way I want it to be. Will keep listening.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
I must say I'm listening to it now through a pair of very good headphones. Much better.

the version that's in the ad has a quite different mix. Check it out when you can.

Offline Candysroom

• Stateless
  • Aged U2, Bruce & Bowie fan. Prone to Gavin Friday.
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you, appreciate the welcome

Offline striped potatoe

• Stateless
  • Baby, Baby, Baby, Light My Way
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
I think it sounds great. I voted good. I'm officially excited for the new album. I like the sort of computerish sounding beginning.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Mixed Emotions is the best way to describe how I feel about this song.

1. It's miles better then Ordinary Love which was as bland as U2 have ever been.

2. Who the f**k neutered Larry? Standard pop drum machine electronic beats is not what made U2 great. Let Larry and Adam be the strength of the rhythm section, not a computer.

3. This would be a great Killers song, but it's not a great U2 song. My bar for U2 is set very high, and while this is a good song by them, it doesn't reach the bar that's been set. My bar for the Killers isn't as high as U2, so for them this song would meet it.

This leads me to the point that my expectations for U2 are probably higher then their own. I see U2 as one of the best (and my favorite) rock bands in history. With a U2 release I don't compare it to the bands chasing U2 now (the Killers, Coldplay, etc), I compare it the great bands in rock history and U2s own great songs. If I hold U2 with the likes of bands/artists in their prime like the Stones, Zep, Bowie, Springsteen, the Clash, etc... I want their music to stand up with the best. Does Invisible stand up with the best of U2, Zep, the Stones, Bowie, etc..? No, it doesn't.

Maybe I need to lower my expectations. I should just enjoy it for what it is, a good but not great song, and remind myself they're not in their prime anymore.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
Whilst invisible is an ok song - it does make me wonder if u2 will ever be truly great again. . .

Just had my ipod on shuffle and invisible came on in a run of 5 songs:

Queens of the Stone Age - No one knows
The White Stripes - Black Math
The Strokes - Heart in a Cage
U2 - Invisible
Smashing Pumpkins - Ava Adore

The U2 song in my view is easily the weakest of the 5 and sounds 'weedy' amongst them - for me that shouldnt be the case.

I dont hate the song - its an ok song, but is it one fitting for a band as revered as u2?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:04:14 PM by an tha »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »

Whilst invisible is an ok song - it does make me wonder if u2 will ever be truly great again. . .

Just had my ipod on shuffle and invisible came on in a run of 5 songs:

Queens of the Stoneage - No one knows
The White Stripes - Black Math
The Strokes - Heart in a Cage
U2 - Invisible
Smashing Pumpkins - Ava Adore

The U2 song in my view is easily the weakest of the 5 and sounds 'weedy' amongst them - for me that shouldnt be the case.

I dont hate the song - its an ok song, but is it one fitting for a band as revered as u2?

I guess that's up for the listener to decide. That's why I find music a great outlet.

Personally I really like it but I get why some don't