Poll

What do you think of Invisible?

Superb
Good
Average
Poor
Rubbish

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions About Invisible  (Read 13417 times)

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
Re: Mixed Emotions About Invisible
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know what it DOESN'T sound like......a band of dudes in their 50s mailing it in.
This. Like the song or not, there is some effort on this round IMO.

Offline Rocksingerfan

• Wanderer
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
The song is superb. Loving the melody and Bono is in good form. Excited for the new album :)

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
Love it, way better than Ordinary Love.  So is that really a drum machine and not Larry?  I'm not very musically inclined so I can't really tell the difference.  Why would they do that and not use Larry?

Offline Big Girls Are Best

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »
Based on this offering, I'm not holding out much hope for the new album (if they ever decide to release it). On the bright side, at least the download was free.

PS - I know TUC has missed me, so this is for you...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zootoo

• Babyface
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
listened 3 times, I think the song is absolutely brilliant. I find it baffling hearing the accusations of copying Coldplay and The Killers considering those 2 have been so heavily influenced by U2. Compare Edges solo in 'Miracle Drug' to the solo in 'When we were young' for example. Really cant understand any reason to be negative about this tune. If this was discovered as an outtake like Mercy then it would soon achieve cult status with people screaming "I cant believe this has not been released' etc.

bring on the new album.

Offline BringCitrus

• Refugee
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »
I like but am not over-the-moon about the song. My major critical reason being... it took you 6 years to come up with this?

satellitedog01

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
"Good"

The best thing about this is that I'm once again interested in hearing a new album by the guys. I like the sound, I like the synth-guitar stuff and the overall thematic.

The worst thing about it is I can't say I'm blown away by it. Good is sill the enemy of great.

It is a lot more agreeable than Ordinary Love, but that still only takes it to the level of some of the better songs off Bomb.

Glad they released it.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
"Good"

The best thing about this is that I'm once again interested in hearing a new album by the guys. I like the sound, I like the synth-guitar stuff and the overall thematic.

The worst thing about it is I can't say I'm blown away by it. Good is sill the enemy of great.

It is a lot more agreeable than Ordinary Love, but that still only takes it to the level of some of the better songs off Bomb.

Glad they released it.

I agree with most of this. The funny thing is, I wouldn't even say the song is dramatically *better* than OL, but I'd say it's far more *interesting* than OL, and makes me much more interested in the album and in how they follow this up.

satellitedog01

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »
I just hope they created a real album that flows well and creates a world, where this song has its place.

And they put a lot more thought into this song than OL, especially with this being an edit, which are sometimes clumsy.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:18 PM »
I like but am not over-the-moon about the song. My major critical reason being... it took you 6 years to come up with this?

More like 6 weeks or mos. They are not together making music most of the time.  :(

Offline Big Girls Are Best

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
Is that annoying sound a vuvuzela or kazoo?

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »
To me it sounds like the same old 00s U2. Which isn't bad . . . but isn't good either. For me, it's just average.

Invisible is more of Bono trying too hard to inspire people with very direct and accessible lyricism while the band plays formulaic pop-rock. It'll do for when I'm in the mood for that type of song, along with Beautiful Day, City of Blinding Lights, and Ordinary Love, but I'm not in that particular mood very often.

I do like the sound of the guitars, and I'm glad they have abandoned the cliche Eno strings for this type of song.

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
Hey at least it's better then GOYB's  ;)

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »

I much prefer GOYB, though I know my appreciation of that track puts my in the minority around here.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »

I much prefer GOYB, though I know my appreciation of that track puts my in the minority around here.
I actually like GOYB and actually was one of the first U2 songs I liked but I wouldn't rate it over Invisible