Author Topic: Jo Whiley to interview Edge tomorrow  (Read 13640 times)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Jo Whiley to interview Edge tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
I take everything that Bono says with a grain of salt.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
Great point on the WAR album.  Seems whenever they've gone back they've revisited BOY-UF-JT but rarely mention WAR............. would love to hear some of WAR incorporated in new album. 

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
On Zane Low yesterday, I give more weight to what Bono said - a U2 album is not done until it's in the stores/on the shelves. That means he/they know they can tweak the album indefinitely - until, they cannot. Thus, it's NOT done until it is physically out there and away from their perfecting.

That's another reason why I say it is done by the standard you and I mean when we say done; however, it is not done by Bono's/the band's standard.  ;)

Let's see if Oseary gets it away from them and into the stores by the 18th of this month. How quickly do albums go from the warehouse to the stores? Or, rather, from U2's upload to iTunes and Amazon?

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That's what the Broncos said too!

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
I think the album was ready to drop a while ago but with new management they strategized with INVISIBLE and seeing the reaction it would get and that would decide which sound they'd go with so the mixes will continue yet.

Offline daffi

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »
here is the interview( thanks to u2place)with The Edge

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
here is the interview( thanks to u2place)with The Edge

Thank you, Daffi!

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
Seems like they've done something along the lines that saw Zooropa win as best Alternative Album... they're on record as saying they thought Zooropa was up there with Sgt Peppers but hindsight gave them perspective to realise it wasn't quite there. If they've been taking their time to make sure what they've done is as good as they think it is, then I'm really excited. This isn't second guessing, it's making sure they've landed a Kid A or Pet Sounds.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
Zooropa was as out there as it was because of how they recorded it. Flying back to the studio right after gigs certainly had them in a certain mindset that affected their writing and decision-making for sure. If they would have had weeks and months to agonize over every detail it probably would have turned out to be a different album (and I'd argue not as good). So a direct comparison can't really be made - though really, what else is there to talk about? lol

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Zooropa only started out as an EP but because they had so much material it ended becoming an album , pretty good album despite being written and recorded during a tour ! As for why the album which seemed to be ready a while ago and yet we are being told its not ready yet  , I just hope that maybe they didn't get cold feet with dangermouse's mix of the album and maybe go back for a safer producer who knows what they are comfortable with !

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
They won Alternative Album at the Grammys because of the songs, not how they recorded it. They are on record as saying that they thought they had gone to a different place... I remember Bowie saying they were the first band to try and imagine what the new mellenium would be like (back in, what, 1993?). You're right, and I'm not trying to compare the two... I'm trying to say that if they're doing something as imaginative (I remember listening to it at the time and thinking it was weird... and then they gave us Passengers!), then I'm all for them to be making sure they got it right. What I'm really saying is that Edge's explanation of what is happening seems far more positive than Bono's ramblings about relevance... and if it was to produce some as different as Zooropa (relatively speaking), then I'm up for it.

Maybe they're regretting not sticking to what NLOTH was apparently meant to be?

Anyway, after listening to that interview, the future seems a lot more exciting than after all of Bono's stuff. It seems to me that after that interview, they're thinking they've got a Pet Sounds on the burner, and that want to make sure it's right.

But much love... we're all entitled to our completely uninformed views!!!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
I kind of agree with you, the band seem like they just want to get this right, take out all the self indulgence, NLOTH is full of that, let's be honest and that's what want, an honest record.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
I kind of agree with you, the band seem like they just want to get this right, take out all the self indulgence, NLOTH is full of that, let's be honest and that's what want, an honest record.

Well said ^^^

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
What could be more self-indulgent than taking 5 years to make a new record?!