Author Topic: Bono is on Zane Lowe's show (coming up)  (Read 9337 times)

Offline markt

• Refugee
Re: Bono is on Zane Lowe's show (coming up)
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2014, 03:12:26 AM »
He mentioned the London O2 specifically, but I guess that could have just been an example because he was on UK radio.  If the album is a success then I can easily see this being another massive tour like ZooTV with both indoor and outdoor legs in US/Europe.

Mark.

satellitedog01

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2014, 04:04:51 AM »
"some arena shows for Zoo TV" meant two legs of the five of the Zoos.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:57 AM »
Maybe they want to test the reaction because the material is going to be v differnt? Achtung Baby was a change sonically hence maybe why they stuck with arenas in the first place?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:16 AM »
Someone mentioned earlier that Larry, who was attending Adam's wedding at the time, was rushing off as 'we have an album to finish'. They were probably doing their last bit of PLAYING for the record back then. They can still be working on the album even if the band aren't in the recording studio: the edge and others, mixers, engineers and producers may be adding extra synth, percussion and other layers to the music U2 have already laid down themselves.

Larry said the problem was that they had too many mixes to choose from for each song. They are obviously still in that process. U2 have probably done all their individual playing/singing long ago.

satellitedog01

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2014, 05:28:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If they'd have been as confident about their new material at the outset of the tour as they were at the start of PopMart, then, IMHO, they wouldn't have bothered playing any arena dates.

I agree with your reasoning, but 2 whole tour legs are solid efforts. Not to mention they proved to be the most important artistic era of the guys.

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2014, 05:45:30 AM »
The timing of the album release has probably had a lot to do with it.  NLOTH was released late Feb and the 1st leg of 360 started end of June.   If the new album is not released until June then they would struggle to do all of the promo work for that and complete a European stadium leg before the football season starts.

Starting indoors just gives them a lot more flexibility and reduces the pressure on finishing the album to fit a tour schedule (they have been there before...).

Mark.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »

If they'd have been as confident about their new material at the outset of the tour as they were at the start of PopMart, then, IMHO, they wouldn't have bothered playing any arena dates.

I agree with your reasoning, but 2 whole tour legs are solid efforts. Not to mention they proved to be the most important artistic era of the guys.

Yup; and by this logic, they also weren't that confident at the start of Zoo TV. (Well TBF, we know they weren't, and for understandable reasons given what a shift it was)  So it doesn't really mean anything necessarily.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:40 AM »
Looks like they'll only be able to do one leg this year, in the American fall. But will they start in US or Europe? Or somewhere different?

Offline Man Dreams One Day to Fly

• Wanderer
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »
Looks like they'll only be able to do one leg this year, in the American fall. But will they start in US or Europe? Or somewhere different?

It will probably be in the U.S. or Europe as they have more big indoor arenas, the U.S. is probably more likely and they started out in Europe last time out.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »
He mentioned the London O2 specifically, but I guess that could have just been an example because he was on UK radio.  If the album is a success then I can easily see this being another massive tour like ZooTV with both indoor and outdoor legs in US/Europe.

Mark.

Yes, and he was teasing a bit saying they like those venues they are more like clubs and intimate.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »
Just as long as people aren't expecting an album announcement or any solid info. Bono just said today they are going to spend the next 2 months on it and they haven't even come up with a title yet.
It's all very baffling behaviour. Someone suggested all this publicity was booked before the album was moved to June and they couldn't back out of it.
This makes the most sense to me, unfortunately.  "Baffling" is the correct word!  I would love for the "surprise release" theory to come true but often the truth is in the simplest explanation.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »
BTW, here's a link to Rolling Stone's rehashing of the Lowe interview:

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
Just as long as people aren't expecting an album announcement or any solid info. Bono just said today they are going to spend the next 2 months on it and they haven't even come up with a title yet.
It's all very baffling behaviour. Someone suggested all this publicity was booked before the album was moved to June and they couldn't back out of it.
This makes the most sense to me, unfortunately.  "Baffling" is the correct word!  I would love for the "surprise release" theory to come true but often the truth is in the simplest explanation.

I'm pretty sure they could have backed out of anything if they really wanted to. May have still had to pay a bit of monetary penalty or something, but it's not an ironclad deal. I'm pretty sure Fox could have found another buyer of airtime and what band wouldn't want to play on the Fallon premiere.

Those are two good opportunities and maybe they just repurposed them for Invisible(Red), but I think an agreement like that takes more than a couple months to completely work out.