Poll

Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?  (Read 8803 times)

Offline Jack

• Stateless
Re: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
It was at the time of the elevation tour that I started to take an interest in U2 and then went on to watch vertigo tour and 360 and these for me are the best ones although I think most folk prefer zoo and pop mart their last three tours have been my favourites

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Clearly, yes.

You can judge based on size (360 holds, and Vertigo did hold, the honor of largest tour in history) or on sheer amazement factor. When Mick Jaggar saw U2 on the Zoo TV tour, he said "They have permanently upped the ante. From this point forward, all bands will have to have better live performances. "

Since then, I'd say every tour has given the fans something special and new, and if the Barkar hangar video is anything to judge by, id say they have another gerat surprise in store.

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
I think so

satellitedog01

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
Not since the end of Popmart, perhaps including some stand-out Elevation shows.

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
  U2 is my favorite band , so I am biased towards them, but   
I can look at it objectively.

After watching the Sandy relief concert, seeing the Stones last year, and tuning in to the Grammy's tribute to the Beatles it's clear to me that sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bono is a great front man and they are probably the best rock band in the world who still release new material , but I'd have to say Mick Jagger is the greatest frontman in the history of live music. You could tell at the Rock and Roll Hall of fame show that Bono was pleasantly intimidated to share the stage with him, and that right there, says a lot.
Know one in Show Business can match his energy.

Some songs like Let it Be, Yesterday, and Hey Jude just have a greater mass appeal at this moment than some U2 songs. Even though the Beatles may not be together, when Paul McCartney still does these classics I think they might be the greatest live rock performances of all time.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
No - although they did put on for my money the greatest tour ever in zoo tv.

But u2 as a band havent got anywhere near the chops to be rated as the greatest live band of all time. They did put on some great shows though. . .

Offline Nico

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
U2 had the ability to do earth shattering performances up there with the very best - everyone knows that - the question is how consistently and how long have they been at this level. They have evidently made the most impact in the last 25 years at least

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  U2 is my favorite band , so I am biased towards them, but   
I can look at it objectively.

After watching the Sandy relief concert, seeing the Stones last year, and tuning in to the Grammy's tribute to the Beatles it's clear to me that sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bono is a great front man and they are probably the best rock band in the world who still release new material , but I'd have to say Mick Jagger is the greatest frontman in the history of live music. You could tell at the Rock and Roll Hall of fame show that Bono was pleasantly intimidated to share the stage with him, and that right there, says a lot.
Know one in Show Business can match his energy.

Some songs like Let it Be, Yesterday, and Hey Jude just have a greater mass appeal at this moment than some U2 songs. Even though the Beatles may not be together, when Paul McCartney still does these classics I think they might be the greatest live rock performances of all time.

Freddie mercury is the greatest ever

zootv

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
Absolutely. 

Offline Nico

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
"Absolute Greatest" is Queen's latest album

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
As others have said, Springsteen often easily beats them for live performances. Still, both the Boss and U2 have the inestimable gift of connecting with audiences to an extraordinary degree. That's probably partially due to the messianic complex that Bruce believes he and Bono have in common. But I'd say that's also because all four members of U2 do their best to connect with everyone, given their limitations. 360 was great in that regard.

Where I think U2 really does win live is in pushing the envelope in terms of what a concert experience should be like. No matter how much we have to thank Willie Williams for this, the band has an amazing visual sense that seems unique to me among rock bands. As good as they are in more intimate venues, I think I prefer their big stadium shows where they let that powerful imagination really take flight.

canucku2fan14

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 08:56:38 PM »
I had to vote no. U2 comes close in second, after Muse.

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
I would put The Stones, Zeppelin, and Bruce (in their primes) above U2 (at any point in their career), as far as greatest live acts of all time go

surit87

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »
Yes, Zootv cannot be topped by any other band.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:46 AM »
^ That.

ZooTv cannot be topped, and has not been topped, in terms of scale, concept, and execution. Not to mention it literally changed the world. And all modern touring. Not to mention there's no thing in the world that can compete with a live performance of Streets.