Poll

Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?  (Read 8802 times)

marvgadgie

Re: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:25 AM »
Of all the bands I've seen I've yet to see anyone top U2.

Offline thisrebelsong

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:39 AM »
For U2 have the advantage of songs that suit stadiums better than any one. Especially WTSHNN  & when they did zoo tv everyone has been trying to top that tour ever since including them. There best album best tour U2 at there best the prefect storm   

marvgadgie

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 03:13:25 AM »
Yep. I agree. Zooropa in 93 was like nothing else I've seen before or since.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^ That.

ZooTv cannot be topped, and has not been topped, in terms of scale, concept, and execution. Not to mention it literally changed the world. And all modern touring. Not to mention there's no thing in the world that can compete with a live performance of Streets.

End of discussion.

zootv

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »
^ That.

ZooTv cannot be topped, and has not been topped, in terms of scale, concept, and execution. Not to mention it literally changed the world. And all modern touring. Not to mention there's no thing in the world that can compete with a live performance of Streets.

End of discussion.

This

hrsan

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »
I have seen U2 3 times and the first time wasn't so good, the second time was phenomenal and the third time was just okay.  The greatest live music act for me is the Rolling Stones.  They blew me away both times I've seen them.   

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »
^ That.

End of discussion.

This

That.

But I think, with today's technology, the band could go one step further with more crowd interaction.

Okay they tried this with the lame-o 'text Bono' bo****ks on the last tour and Coldplay have already bagsied the 'fan with flashy light' thingy, but involving your fans is the way to go - then everyone can have a concert they feel they were a part of.

Maybe use the text thing again, but this time the crowd are texting their choice of encore songs - with 10 already chosen by the band (they need to rehearse them y'know) and the top 3 at that gig getting played. Okay, we'd most probably end up with WOWY, ISHFWILF and One at every gig ;-)

Another idea would be to take a photo of yourself (a selfie if you wish) during the concert and they upload all the photos as the background video to the last song before the encore - they already touched on this idea with the brief Unknown Caller idea.

How's about they do a lottery-type draw and pick a lucky fan's ticket number from a hat/beanie and that fan gets to go on stage for a song during the encore? And Zoo TV-esque they could video Bono which is live streamed to the screens.

Just a thought.

Offline Candysroom

• Stateless
  • Aged U2, Bruce & Bowie fan. Prone to Gavin Friday.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »
Trophy is still with Springsteen for me

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
I've seen some of the very best acts in music but U2 are way ahead everyone else, IMHO.The sheer joy of hearing U2's music live amidst an enthusiastic crowd is like nothing I've ever experienced.I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about 'Bad' live  :D         

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
best i have seen by far... ab up to elevation tour since then energy levels have dropped.. to be fair it would not say much for them in the 80s and 90s if they had the same energy today...   springsteen , greenday, and rem are or were good live too but did not quite take it to the level u2 could..

Offline wclayton

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »
Prince and Bruce Springsteen are both artists of a similar generation and stature to U2 who are now putting on shows which blow the U2 of recent years out of the water, IMHO.  The Rolling Stones recent series of shows are more impressive than U2's on 360 and I felt the Stones Glastonbury gig (what I saw of it) was better than U2's.  I'm not that up on current acts, but I wouldn't bet on the U2 of recent years being a better live act than some of those.  Even Coldplay put on a great stadium show going by their gig in Paris a few years ago, and One Direction and Justin Timberlake are also great at what they do, according to Briscoe.

But Springsteen uses like a 10 piece band. U2 musically is primarily just 3 pieces with Bono on vocals. One Guitar, one bass guitar, and the drums. Look at the power they create with just that. It is very impressive! Barring occasional changes in Bono's voice, U2's sound live is just as good and energetic as it was at any time in their career!

Offline wclayton

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
No - although they did put on for my money the greatest tour ever in zoo tv.

But u2 as a band havent got anywhere near the chops to be rated as the greatest live band of all time. They did put on some great shows though. . .

So who do you think is the greatest live band of all time?

Offline wclayton

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
As others have said, Springsteen often easily beats them for live performances. Still, both the Boss and U2 have the inestimable gift of connecting with audiences to an extraordinary degree. That's probably partially due to the messianic complex that Bruce believes he and Bono have in common. But I'd say that's also because all four members of U2 do their best to connect with everyone, given their limitations. 360 was great in that regard.

Where I think U2 really does win live is in pushing the envelope in terms of what a concert experience should be like. No matter how much we have to thank Willie Williams for this, the band has an amazing visual sense that seems unique to me among rock bands. As good as they are in more intimate venues, I think I prefer their big stadium shows where they let that powerful imagination really take flight.

I'd easily take U2's Red Rocks show over any live show Springsteen has ever done.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Prince and Bruce Springsteen are both artists of a similar generation and stature to U2 who are now putting on shows which blow the U2 of recent years out of the water, IMHO.  The Rolling Stones recent series of shows are more impressive than U2's on 360 and I felt the Stones Glastonbury gig (what I saw of it) was better than U2's.  I'm not that up on current acts, but I wouldn't bet on the U2 of recent years being a better live act than some of those.  Even Coldplay put on a great stadium show going by their gig in Paris a few years ago, and One Direction and Justin Timberlake are also great at what they do, according to Briscoe.

But Springsteen uses like a 10 piece band. U2 musically is primarily just 3 pieces with Bono on vocals. One Guitar, one bass guitar, and the drums. Look at the power they create with just that. It is very impressive! Barring occasional changes in Bono's voice, U2's sound live is just as good and energetic as it was at any time in their career!

Springsteen does indeed. They're real musicians who create real music for real music lovers, nothing added, nothing taken away.  It's organic with no artificial preservatives.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »
As others have said, Springsteen often easily beats them for live performances. Still, both the Boss and U2 have the inestimable gift of connecting with audiences to an extraordinary degree. That's probably partially due to the messianic complex that Bruce believes he and Bono have in common. But I'd say that's also because all four members of U2 do their best to connect with everyone, given their limitations. 360 was great in that regard.

Where I think U2 really does win live is in pushing the envelope in terms of what a concert experience should be like. No matter how much we have to thank Willie Williams for this, the band has an amazing visual sense that seems unique to me among rock bands. As good as they are in more intimate venues, I think I prefer their big stadium shows where they let that powerful imagination really take flight.

I'd easily take U2's Red Rocks show over any live show Springsteen has ever done.

Springsteen fans would point to the legendary Hammersmith Odeon London show '75 or the '78 shows from Tucson, LA or the recorded Houston show, the '80 shows from Nassau Coliseum, all the way to the reunion shows in 2000 captured in live from NY. All these shows can match or beat Red Rocks and I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Red Rock show.