Poll

Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:52 PM »
I'm sure not, though they've certainly put on some of the best shows I've seen--certainly my favorite, being Zoo TV.

It's impossible to say conclusively, but I'd say Queen are a possibility.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »
I have been to see Springsteen several times, and I will go to see him in Florida in April on the new Tour, but for me, U2 wins. The audience agrees. U2's last tour was seen by 7.3 million people, Bruces was seen by 3.5 million.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been to see Springsteen several times, and I will go to see him in Florida in April on the new Tour, but for me, U2 wins. The audience agrees. U2's last tour was seen by 7.3 million people, Bruces was seen by 3.5 million.

The number of people that see a show has nothing to do with the actual quality of the show. Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus can probably sell more tickets then most artists, doesn't mean their shows are as good.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »

The number of people that see a show has nothing to do with the actual quality of the show. Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus can probably sell more tickets then most artists, doesn't mean their shows are as good.

Exactly I don't like it when greatness is judged by stats. Grammy awards, album sales, number 1 hits, concert attendance figures - just ridiculous.

I Love Neutral Milk Hotel, only two albums, not sold very well and certainly only seen live by a few thousand people (if that). Does it mean I enjoy the music less, heck no.

Achtung Baby and Pop sold a heck of a lot less copies than The Joshua Tree, never won Grammy's, and imho are both infinitely more enjoyable.

Payton Manning will probably end his career with only one Superbowl. Probably the best QB to ever play the game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:25:01 PM by Zoost »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »

Exactly I don't like it when greatness is judged by stats. Grammy awards, album sales, number 1 hits, concert attendance figures - just ridiculous.

I Love Neutral Milk Hotel, only two albums, not sold very well and certainly only seen live by a few thousand people (if that). Does it mean I enjoy the music less, heck no.

Achtung Baby and Pop sold a heck of a lot less copies than The Joshua Tree, never won Grammy's, and imho are both infinitely more enjoyable.

Payton Manning will probably end his career with only one Superbowl. Probably the best QB to ever play the game.

Haha, that's taking it a bit to far. Best regular season QB, but far from the best QB to ever play. Fun fact. In the 3 Super Bowls Manning has played, he has 3 TD's to 6 INTs. Montana has 11 TDs to 0 INTs. Brady has 9 TDS to 2 INTs. Some guys just play better in the big games.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »

Haha, that's taking it a bit to far. Best regular season QB, but far from the best QB to ever play. Fun fact. In the 3 Super Bowls Manning has played, he has 3 TD's to 6 INTs. Montana has 11 TDs to 0 INTs. Brady has 9 TDS to 2 INTs. Some guys just play better in the big games.

I think Montana was better yes, Brady no. Brady had a better all round team supporting him, and remember all 3 of his Superbowl wins were within 3 points - so close to failure. If it wasn't for his teams defense and the kickers, he would not have 3 rings. IMHO of course.

If the Colts had better defenses the whole time Manning was there, i think he would have about 3-4 rings by now.

Err, wow, that's completely off topic. Back to U2 being the best live act :)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »

got to agree love springsteen but no concert i have been at of his gets near zoo tv... took me 3 months to come down after that  zoo concert.. as for the one stones concert i was at ..well it was just ok ,that said they were old

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »

yea but i doubt if bieber or cyrus will do it 30 years into their existence

Offline Rodney T-M

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
Queen is so freaking overrated live. Mercury's voice was never half as good live as on record, and he'd generally skip out on the high notes, which takes away half the fun of a live band with a good singer. Springsteen and Bono were both impressively daring vocally live during their peaks.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »

I think Montana was better yes, Brady no. Brady had a better all round team supporting him, and remember all 3 of his Superbowl wins were within 3 points - so close to failure. If it wasn't for his teams defense and the kickers, he would not have 3 rings. IMHO of course.

If the Colts had better defenses the whole time Manning was there, i think he would have about 3-4 rings by now.

If you lead the greatest regular season offense and then only put up 3 tds to 6 ints in the Super Bowls that has nothing to do with your Defense. It means your not playing as well in the big game. But you are right, this isn't the football thread.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
Queen is so freaking overrated live. Mercury's voice was never half as good live as on record, and he'd generally skip out on the high notes, which takes away half the fun of a live band with a good singer. Springsteen and Bono were both impressively daring vocally live during their peaks.

So what you are saying is that if we equate music to football then:

Freddie Mercury = Peyton Manning: Great voice on record, not so great vocally live/Great regular season QB, not so great in the playoffs.

Bono = Tom Brady: Awesome on record and live (in his prime). His performances couldn't be beat back in the day./ Great regular season QB and great in the playoffs (although not as much now as when he was younger).

Springsteen = Joe Montana: Great on records but live is where he's a legend/ Great in the regular season but became legendary because of his post season performances.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »

If you lead the greatest regular season offense and then only put up 3 tds to 6 ints in the Super Bowls that has nothing to do with your Defense. It means your not playing as well in the big game. But you are right, this isn't the football thread.

The reason they lost the Superbowl was nothing to do with Manning. He simply, nor the rest of his team, were shut out. They were not allowed to play. Seattle were too good in all facets of the game and totally shut everyone down. Who was Manning supposed to throw too? The only TD he threw - a fantastic pass to Thomas in triple coverage.

Ha Ha, So Cruel - we have turned this into a football discussion - lets quit now. people will hate. :)

Offline Rodney T-M

• Stateless
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »
Perfect analogy, So Cruel. And Brady and Montana, in that order, happen to be my two favorite QBs of all time (though I'm neither from NE or SF!).

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »

True. But I don't think you can become the most successful live act in history if you suck.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »

True. But I don't think you can become the most successful live act in history if you suck.
true im even shocked the number of no votes here is 16..either most of those 16 never saw the zoo tour or the shows they  saw u2 were sub par..