Poll

Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?  (Read 8796 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Do You Consider U2 To Be The Greatest Live Music Act Of All Time?
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2014, 04:26:14 AM »
Well obviously I'd vote for one direction and Justin timberlake.

surit87

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well obviously I'd vote for one direction and Justin timberlake.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

surit87

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
And we all know we have to do this...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

... until U2's new album comes out.

Offline Nico

• Refugee
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2014, 03:07:20 AM »
Zoo tv was the sgt. pepper of live shows to many fans and critics.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »
I set up this thread almost a week ago and, so far, 19 people have voted "no" to my question.

I'm intrigued to find out who they believe to be the greatest live music act of all time if it isn't U2 (and if they actually think there could be band or artist worthy of that title).

I am, also, fascinated by reading all of the comments so far on this thread. You all have great opinions and logic behind your own ideas, so keep it up  ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
The thing with people is, you can't pinpoint a definitive GREATEST LIVE ACT EVER, as tastes and variations in performance will dictate differing answers even from the same person.

Some of the great live acts are unknown to the majority of people, for example non-English speaking performers, and there are many well known AND great live acts who you can only rank based on personal preference.

I think the best thing about is that you get to expand your knowledge and basis of judgement, and can keep your mind and taste fresh.

Another thought that occured is, one will likely not find the best live performances among those that happened to sell a product or a brand, but among those that came from a love of music and the urge of necessity of an artistic statement.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
I voted no. I consider U2 to be behind Springsteen and The Who (original lineup) as the worlds greatest live band.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »
I voted no. I consider U2 to be behind Springsteen and The Who (original lineup) as the worlds greatest live band.
Springsteen is great. IMHO, U2 is greater.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »
After some further research, I think my earlier numbers were off. The Rolling Stones have played live to about 38 million people, plus or minus 2 million. U2 has played live to 32 million. No other act has reached those numbers, though Springsteen and Bon Jovi are both in the high 20s. Thus, at this moment, the Rolling Stones remain the greatest in size, but U2 is poised to overtake them either on this tour or the next. As a reference point, the Rolling Stones had only played live to 25 million by the time the band members were the age U2s members are now ...

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
Of course, any argument about whether U2 is bigger than the Rolling Stones is like arguing over a silver medal, since neither one will ever eclipse the Beatles in POP culture no matter how many concerts they do....

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
The thing with people is, you can't pinpoint a definitive GREATEST LIVE ACT EVER, as tastes and variations in performance will dictate differing answers even from the same person.

Some of the great live acts are unknown to the majority of people, for example non-English speaking performers, and there are many well known AND great live acts who you can only rank based on personal preference.

I think the best thing about is that you get to expand your knowledge and basis of judgement, and can keep your mind and taste fresh.

Another thought that occured is, one will likely not find the best live performances among those that happened to sell a product or a brand, but among those that came from a love of music and the urge of necessity of an artistic statement.

Pretty much echoes how I feel.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »

the question wasn't 'who is your favorite' it was 'who is the greatest' ..... I'd say it's hard to find an alternate measurement than lifetime ticket sales. The Beatles wouldn't be considered the greatest recording act of all time if they sold fewer records than another artist

satellitedog01

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »
My point was you simply cannot objectively come to a conclusion as to who the greatest live act is/are.

You can of course get a list of great live acts who are also popular, but you won't be able to quantify greatness by sales.

It's an exercise in futility as well, since the number of live performers, active, defunct and dead is immense, and none of us can compare, and even if it were possible, the outcome would be a matter of subjective taste.

If you juggle around, and limit your criteria as to who may be included (and consequently narrow your tastes in music as well), you may end up with a situation where U2 can top the list, but that would be a sad prospect now, wouldn't it?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »

the question wasn't 'who is your favorite' it was 'who is the greatest' ..... I'd say it's hard to find an alternate measurement than lifetime ticket sales. The Beatles wouldn't be considered the greatest recording act of all time if they sold fewer records than another artist

I know, and my reasoning remains the same.

Its is impossible to single out a single musical act or performer and call them the "Greatest Live Music Act of All Time." All of the artists people consider the greatest will have varying reasons for being considered so, and its really hard to distinguish what is most significant out of these kinds of things. You single out ticket sales, and while that is a good measurement to use, it basically says that the artists who sold the most tickets are the greatest live.

Sales = Greatness is a flawed way of viewing things, because it fails to take into account the incredible amount of talented artists that will never play to the massive crowds which the Stones and U2 did. Artists like Cher and Britney Spears are able to sell millions of concert tickets. Does this make them better than other artists below them?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
Springsteen is great. IMHO, U2 is greater.

Seen them both over 10x. While Zoo TV arena show was the best concert I've ever seen, on a whole Springsteen is a better performer.