Author Topic: Invisible and Ordinary Love Rising on iTunes  (Read 4269 times)

Offline wik73

• Numb
Invisible and Ordinary Love Rising on iTunes
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
After last nights performance Invisible is at #53 on iTunes and Ordinary Love is at a whopping #27! I never thought I would see Ordinary Love higher than Invisible but it looks like last nights performance of OL garnered some new fans to the song. So, how high will the songs go? Any thoughts? Will they continue to rise or is this a flash in the pan. The performances certainly seem to be gathering steam on social media. Will this force the bands hand to release sooner rather than later?

Offline theologian

• Wanderer
Re: Invisible and Ordinary Love Rising on iTunes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
It is interesting that these two songs seem to be doing alright on Itunes.  Though, my guess is U2 won't be satisfied unless they have a song that makes into the Top 10 at least, though a number 1 song is what they are looking for, I would think.  Personally, I hope the two songs don't do that well as I fear it will encourage the band to head further in that direction.  Neither song is bad, in fact, I would say they are both better than a lot of stuff I hear on the radio, but to be honest, neither of them really do it for me.  I don't find myself listening to either of them regularly and I expect more from U2.  Both songs strike me as very safe, and as such, there is little to separate them from the other noise we hear in music today.  They are forgettable songs and if U2 moves in this direction, I fear we will have a forgettable album in the future, then another five year wait while they try to figure out how to be relevant, and quite frankly, at that point, it will be too late.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Update: Ordinary Love is #20 on Amazon, #19 on iTunes. Invisible is #38 on Amazon, #50 on iTunes.

Amazing how big of a boost they got from a late night show. I guess it being the very first show of his, plus following the Olympics, gave it an extra large audience...apparently 11.3 million viewers.

Makes you wonder if an album was out if it would have gotten a big boost from super bowl, fallon, oscars. With the way album sales are going though, it probably wouldn't have been much more.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:38:02 AM by AchtungPop »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
It makes sense that OL has risen more than Invisible given so many people got Invisible for free.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
If you guys see those songs going higher today, please post an update. :) Thx for the find, guys.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:29 PM »
Invisible is now #1 iTunes Rock song in America.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »
Invisible has been #1 on the Rock iTunes chart pretty much since it was re-released on the 4th. Not sure exactly what hour it went #1, but it wasn't long before it was.

Ordinary Love is also #3 on the iTunes Soundtrack chart, but Let It Go is #1.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »
Let's get Ordinary Love to #1. Starting #getordinarylove2thetop

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
I'm thinking The Tonight Show likely is the first time most people have heard the song.

Glad to see it doing better than Invisible. It's the superior song.

Offline Alloch

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
And don't forget the songs are not well known yet in Europe, like Holland where I live. Nobody knows around here who Jimmy Fallon is, let alone they have seen the show. I hear OL is often played on the radio station, but Invissible is still growing in popularity.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:21 AM »
But neither one is the first single.........

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:21:24 AM »
What does this first single stuff actually mean. It will be important because? What? They will promo it more?

They cant promo songs more than they have promo-ed these two songs. Certainly invisible. And in truth, Ordinary Love has been promoed plenty by the band themselves too.

Whats going to happen different with the 'first single?'

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What does this first single stuff actually mean. It will be important because? What? They will promo it more?

They cant promo songs more than they have promo-ed these two songs. Certainly invisible. And in truth, Ordinary Love has been promoed plenty by the band themselves too.

Whats going to happen different with the 'first single?'

This is an interesting point. It makes me wonder if rolling songs out one by one and none of them being the first single is a way around massive criticism both positive and negative. I agree there has been plenty of publicity but this feel like just the beginning for invisible. Songs take a while to become engrained in the consciousness-especially, U2 songs since they are (as Edge states) more intellectually hard.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
It's not that they will promote it. It's how they will promote it. Invisible has been promoted as a (RED) charity thing, and OL as a soundtrack song. Neither has been promoted as the first single from U2's long awaited new album. That does tend to get a little more attention. When people think U2 and charity or movies, they think of songs like hands, HMTMKMKM, etc., well known songs - but not iconic U2 by any stretch. When people think of the first song from a U2 album, they think Beautiful Day, Desire, Vertigo, With or Without You, New Years Day, Pride

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Glad to see it doing better than Invisible. It's the superior song.

Again, presumably because Invisible has already sold many millions more than it though.