Author Topic: Does Larry really enjoy U2 anymore?  (Read 5905 times)

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
Does Larry really enjoy U2 anymore?
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:30:12 AM »
I don't know that I have observed Larry enjoying himself playing with the band since the Elevation tour.  Ever since HTDAB and Vertigo tour he seems indifferent and disengaged.  Like he is just punching the time clock when he is performing with the band.

I loved the Fallon performances!  BUT, everyone, but Larry, looks like they are having a great time.  He stands there like a robot playing without any kind of passion and disengaged from the band and the audience.

This has been the status quo for him the last 10 years.

Now I get who he is and his MO.  However, c'mon brother Lawrence, show us you still love what you do!

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
Re: Does Larry really enjoy U2 anymore?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Umm...could that have something to do with personality? He's always stayed in the back,not having huge keep smile in his face. We don't know what's going on inside his head. I don't get it,why does it bother people so much,he could be having the time of his life, just doesn't show it to the world.

Offline ehtaerb

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
Larry is basically the polar opposite to Bono. He doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and he has always regarded his music as "work" which he treats with respect. However, he does seem a little more distant than normal though his recent recreation of the Joshua Tree cover whilst in Oslo shows he still has a sense of humour

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Larry is basically the polar opposite to Bono. He doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and he has always regarded his music as "work" which he treats with respect. However, he does seem a little more distant than normal though his recent recreation of the Joshua Tree cover whilst in Oslo shows he still has a sense of humour

I did see that and it was hysterical!  I have seen him in other interviews smiling and interactive.  A performance is his main stage tho and I am not looking for him to not be himself.  I just want to see a little of the Larry of old who looked like he had a heartbeat and passion while he was playing.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »
Could there be something physically wrong with Larry?  Didn't he have a back issue some years back?

satellitedog01

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
Yeah, it's mail order only. Also the $1000 question is whether or not we enjoy U2 anymore?

Offline Gypsy Heart

• Wanderer
  • Smell The Flowers While You Can ...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »
I think Larry has not been enjoying playing with his mates for a long time now. In many occasions, Larry has ALWAYS been - maybe brutally - honest ...specially about Bono's role inside and outside the band.
If you read "U2 by U2", you could say the book is a masterpiece concerning Larry's own views and convictions.
To me, Larry is the ONLY member of U2 who has not lost his own essence. He sticks to whatever he says, he thinks not twice, but a thousand of times before opening his mouth. Just the opposite to Bono.
Bono lives in another world, his (fake?) wild activism ... I do not know how he does it, but it seems to me Bono kinda hypnotizes people with all his preaching. And we are all aware of the fact Larry HATES Bono's attitude.
I once answered a poll about which member of U2 should leave the band given the case. My call was Bono.
Larry deserves better, it is actually obvious he is sick and tired of all this rant. And if I myself had to give my own opinion about all this situation, I say "Hey, Larry, leave U2 behind, unfortunately, U2 belong to Bono now, after all, he was the one who pushed you aside years ago. You can do it alone."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:01:51 PM by Gypsy Heart »

Offline Doreen Mac

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
The last several interviews or U2 appearances in general, Larry, just looks so miserable.  The most recent one where they are singing Happy Birthday via a video (apologies for forgetting who for)  he looks so uncomfortable and almost angry...This is not the Larry that I have grown to love over the years as a U2 fan....Hope he finds his "happy again."

Edgedisciple

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Me too I had the sensation seeing his last appearences with the band that he's kinda tired, like he's being forced to carry on . We can only guess what's going on, I hope that's nothing to concern about knowin' his attitude toward public appearences.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
He looked miserable in that video for Mike Peters. I bet he's tired of being in the studio.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
Back pain can be miserable !

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Back pain can be miserable !

alright I do understand, but I'm sure he had the option of saying no rather than showing up like he was going to a funeral. Poor birthday guy...

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
Just out of curiosity Nanda 360 How long have you been a fan? Cause to me Larry has looked a little uptight since Zoo Tv or since he went Vegan.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:36:26 PM by bondylan »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
I think Larry looks especially uncomfortable, and I'd guess it's pain, or exhaustion, or both. When we first see him in this video, he does appear to try to give a slight smile, but he looks miserable - and yes, more miserable than normal.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
In that Happy Birthday video even Adam looks miserable. Are the 4 of them just tired of all this? It pains me to see them this way.