Author Topic: New Bono interview with Amanda Brunker  (Read 14459 times)

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
Re: New Bono interview with Amanda Brunker
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono's statements about u2's plans in interviews are things I have learnt to not treat seriously...

Normally, I would agree with you, but James Mercer (of Broken Bells) was recently quoted on Danger Mouse's work with U2 as saying, "That entire FIRST record was all his (Danger Mouse)," implying that U2 are doing two records. Larry Mullen also stated U2 was planning on releasing a record last year, and then releasing another record again very shortly after. With the length of time U2 are taking with this "album", it only makes sense….especially given the various reports that U2 had "12 songs" as far back as 2011….and all the reports LAST YEAR from Daniel Lanois and others (Dallas Schoo and Gavin Friday, for example) stating they had already heard the new U2 album. I really believe U2 have one album finished, and have another almost in the bag. Those "6 or 7 songs remixed and ready to go" (according to Edge) are likely for the last album they are working on. Which album they release first remains to be seen, of course. I found it pretty amusing that Edge would say "6 or 7" songs, rather than an exact number, as if he doesn't actually know.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
Well she certainly pressed him about the date of release. She didn't hold back on that front. Anyway, I'll believe the 2 albums when I see them.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
Bono's statements about u2's plans in interviews are things I have learnt to not treat seriously...

Normally, I would agree with you, but James Mercer (of Broken Bells) was recently quoted on Danger Mouse's work with U2 as saying, "That entire FIRST record was all his (Danger Mouse)," implying that U2 are doing two records. Larry Mullen also stated U2 was planning on releasing a record last year, and then releasing another record again very shortly after. With the length of time U2 are taking with this "album", it only makes sense….especially given the various reports that U2 had "12 songs" as far back as 2011….and all the reports LAST YEAR from Daniel Lanois and others (Dallas Schoo and Gavin Friday, for example) stating they had already heard the new U2 album. I really believe U2 have one album finished, and have another almost in the bag. Those "6 or 7 songs remixed and ready to go" (according to Edge) are likely for the last album they are working on. Which album they release first remains to be seen, of course. I found it pretty amusing that Edge would say "6 or 7" songs, rather than an exact number, as if he doesn't actually know.

Fair points - who knows what to believe - I suppose time will tell

I do wonder if they might release an album and not tour (bar a few smallish promo shows) see how that sits for 6-9 months, let the songs become known and if well received put the 2nd album out and tour on the back of two albums - one relatively well known and one new, could help with the reception of the songs as the first albums will be relatively well known and if its a good album the 2nd would sell well on the back of it... helping the songs off both be better received than the new material was off NLOTH were the reception at the gigs I attended (including Dublin) was muted.

Offline fna692002

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
After watching the interview part a couple times, I almost feel like Bono was going to at first give his usual "ahh ehh well waiting for God" excuse he would give to most press, but after a sec of thinking he was like ahh f*** it, you and I are childhood friends heres the real reason why.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
Whether it be 1 or 2 albums, could they... oh I don't know... RELEASE one of these?!  ::) :D

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »

No one can argue they aren't working on two albums right now. It's the releasing two albums part that no one knows yet (even them I'd argue).

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
Finally got a chance to actually watch the interview. I really enjoyed it. It was great hearing Bono speak so laid back, with no pressure, charming and flirty.

I think I have a Pavlov's dog reaction to hearing Bono speak now. When I heard the words campaign and (RED) I could feel my eyes twitch, like they were preparing to roll.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »
I am still holding them to the 3 album projects they said they are working on. 
"We're working on three albums at the moment and we haven't decided what order we're going to put them out but 'The Songs Of Ascent' have the kind of beautiful intimacy that we're speaking of now," Bono said in an exclusive interview - 2 years ago!
And in that French radio interview last week, Bono said they have 50 songs.  (probably most of which he wrote while he was recovering from back surgery).  I am wondering about a double album to be released this summer, and that 3rd album sometime in the next few years....

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
1st record: U
2nd record: 2

I think the only question is whether they will be released at the same time or consecutively.  Personally, I would like them dropped at the same time but releasing one a while before the tour and a second during the tour would be good strategy.

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »

I think the only question is whether they will be released at the same time or consecutively.  Personally, I would like them dropped at the same time but releasing one a while before the tour and a second during the tour would be good strategy.

LOL!

As unbelievably pretentious and overdone as that may sound I think I would actually like that!!! (for some odd and unexplainable reason  ;D)

Hell, if they would go that far then really mess with it and call them: EWE & TOO or something ridiculous. I seem to think that the more ridiculous and throw away the title the better the quality of the music seems to be with so many bands that I listen to. Its worth a shot!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 08:48:35 PM »
The "third album" was the REDONE album, which Adam said they abandoned.....I still wonder if the second album is SOA?

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
2 albums would be great, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

And that was a fun interview, wasn't it? Best I've seen in a long time.

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
I doubt the legitimacy of the other set of songs being the RedOne or SOA stuff. They could have rehashed some of the tunes they put down during those sessions, but 5 years is certainly long enough to have songs materialize through natural, out of (or in) studio work, unrelated to a producer.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »

LOL!

As unbelievably pretentious and overdone as that may sound I think I would actually like that!!! (for some odd and unexplainable reason  ;D)

Hell, if they would go that far then really mess with it and call them: EWE & TOO or something ridiculous. I seem to think that the more ridiculous and throw away the title the better the quality of the music seems to be with so many bands that I listen to. Its worth a shot!

1st: 2
2nd: U

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
My interpretation of all this is that they lack focus. They don't know the target, in terms of having an album that stands on its own. I believe the Danger Mouse work was probably done or close to completion and then... The "being relevant" BS came up.

I believe the band are trying to put together songs that make no sense as an "ensemble".

Before Joshua Tree they were having a hard time writing hit singles, they were "album makers". Now it's the other way around, to the point of being a handicap.