Author Topic: New Bono interview with Amanda Brunker  (Read 14377 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: New Bono interview with Amanda Brunker
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 03:06:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My interpretation of all this is that they lack focus.

I think the opposite. I reckon they're having so much fun recording music, knowing that it could be the last time they do so, they're making it last as long as they can.

It's probably not that much for the producers, though. ;)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 03:08:17 AM »
My interpretation of all this is that they lack focus. They don't know the target, in terms of having an album that stands on its own. I believe the Danger Mouse work was probably done or close to completion and then... The "being relevant" BS came up.

I believe the band are trying to put together songs that make no sense as an "ensemble".

Before Joshua Tree they were having a hard time writing hit singles, they were "album makers". Now it's the other way around, to the point of being a handicap.

If it is true, I think the opposite. I think they have a strategy laid down and all the secrecy was to blow everyone's minds when they hit us with a one-two punch. Guy oseary has probably had a hand in it too. I have confidence that the guys will deliver something great this year.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »
My feelings for Amanada Brunker are summed up in this emoticon.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 04:22:55 AM »
Three thoughts:
1) Bono should drink during all interviews, he's more entertaining.
2) "There's two of them now" means albums or songs?
3) I want to hear the acoustic polka and harmonica album.

He should change Invisible lyrics to:

"there is no album, only this"

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 04:25:48 AM »
The "third album" was the REDONE album, which Adam said they abandoned.....I still wonder if the second album is SOA?

It would be very U2 to call an album 're-done'

Offline hipeponymous

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 06:09:31 AM »
To echo some earlier comments I heard that the band is working on not one, not two, not three, but FOUR albums. Here is what my source tells me:

1st album: UNO - an album that will be to benefit the ONE campaign and have songs like Invisible on it. The theme will be youth from the perspective of wisdom

2nd album: DOS - an album of collaborations - All those songs we've been hearing about for years are here- Rick Rubin, Redone, Chris Martin, Underworld, Michael W Smith, Mick Jagger - they are all here - it'll be an eclectic dance/ techno/ electro/ acoustic explosion

3rd album: Tres - this will be the quiet meditative album that was formerly known as Songs of Ascent

4th album: Catorce - this will be a cheeky, Spanish infused punk rock album a la The Clash's Sandanista - with also a hint of the Ramones thrown in for good measure. Bono will sing in Spanish for the most part and it will be aimed at the Latin market.

That's what I hear anyway - look for the albums to drop Beyonce style in late 2016 in time for the holidays

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »
Working on two albums?    What a bunch of BS.     That confirms to me that they don't like the DM production effort enough to release it and it will never see the light of day.    If all they want is an album full of "hits", it will never happen.   The only way for U2 to survive this is to go down the road that created Fez/BB, the original ABOY, etc., and they just won't let themselves do it.   I dont see how anyone finds them interesting any more otherwise.   

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 07:39:10 AM »
Working on two albums?    What a bunch of BS.     That confirms to me that they don't like the DM production effort enough to release it and it will never see the light of day.    If all they want is an album full of "hits", it will never happen.   The only way for U2 to survive this is to go down the road that created Fez/BB, the original ABOY, etc., and they just won't let themselves do it.   I dont see how anyone finds them interesting any more otherwise.   

I don't understand the love affair with Fez/BB. IMHO it's songs like this that cause people not to find them interesting anymore. This is what they are saying about being esoteric. They need to create intelligent music that reaches the masses-Fez/BB just doesn't do this. There is little music out there that has much palpable meaning to it anymore, but U2 were able to fill that space at one time and that's what brought people to them. I believe Invisible and Ordinary Love provide some hope in this direction and I can't wait to see how they bring meaning back to mainstream music again.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:42:21 AM by wik73 »

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »
when it comes to this kind of stuff, Bono usually talks a big game, but the band gets gun shy.  it would be great, but i think unlikely.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »
Thinking again about it, there has to be two albums. Why would the broken bells guy mention the first album. Odds on now for two albums.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »

I don't understand the love affair with Fez/BB. IMHO it's songs like this that cause people not to find them interesting anymore. This is what they are saying about being esoteric. They need to create intelligent music that reaches the masses-Fez/BB just doesn't do this. There is little music out there that has much palpable meaning to it anymore, but U2 were able to fill that space at one time and that's what brought people to them. I believe Invisible and Ordinary Love provide some hope in this direction and I can't wait to see how they bring meaning back to mainstream music again.

U2 didn't ultimately reach the masses because of their "hits".  With the exception of NYD and Pride, it was the deep, "deep" cuts that got them to the brink and build-up to TJT.   Can't imagine sticking with them this long without having heard Bad, TUF, 40, Tomorrow, etc.   Take those out of the equation and they would have been a Duran Duran/Simple Minds-caliber act.   I am all for them getting airplay, but it isn't going to happen with their current recipe for songwriting.   

As for Fez/BB, that was a brief stroke of genius for them, and I would hope others feel similarly.    With the possible exception of portions of the title cut (which, ironically, were likely derived from BB), there was nothing else on NLOTH that was the fan-making U2 of old.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »

U2 didn't ultimately reach the masses because of their "hits".  With the exception of NYD and Pride, it was the deep, "deep" cuts that got them to the brink and build-up to TJT.   Can't imagine sticking with them this long without having heard Bad, TUF, 40, Tomorrow, etc.   Take those out of the equation and they would have been a Duran Duran/Simple Minds-caliber act.   I am all for them getting airplay, but it isn't going to happen with their current recipe for songwriting.   

As for Fez/BB, that was a brief stroke of genius for them, and I would hope others feel similarly.    With the possible exception of portions of the title cut (which, ironically, were likely derived from BB), there was nothing else on NLOTH that was the fan-making U2 of old.

Magnificent could have been from UF

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
Best interview ive seen him in for a long time.. No charity work talk just fun casual and laidback. It was like the Bono of old. Please do more interviews like this B man

Offline mikepd

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
When Bono refers to 50 songs good bet it's ideas/bits of songs - some while be amalgamised and some dropped, some left for another time. It will be one album - my guess single late March and album around Easter and tour starting July

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
I think there is now credible evidence for 2 albums....no band in the world should take 4 years to record 12 songs (we know they've been recording in various fits and starts for that duration of time, especially if you consider the NLOTH holdovers).  Add the Mercer comment to this logic, and the Bono comment has some validity.

Obviously I'm no genie, but here's what I think is happening:
1) they have a boatload of songs and are trying to figure out the right way to release them all (i.e. not all fit together)
2) the DM sessions probably led to a great album, but they don't want another NLOTH type of situation where their relevance is in question.  Unlike NLOTH, they don't want to compromise the album with some last minute noodling and insertion of "radio hits".
3) But they still they want to release the DM album, bc it's probably very good (and the bulk of us will love it), so they will
4) they realize they may have at least 3/4 of a more commercial 2nd album, and want to spend the next 2 months finishing it -- this may be with Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder (I hope the rumors about Tedder are wrong, but oh well) -- and it may be the bulk of the rest of the songs they've been keeping in their arsenal over the last 3-4 years
5) they realize once the first album drops, they won't have the time to finish album number 2, so theses last 4-5 songs are holding everything up

I think they release the DM album this summer without any advance fanfare (Beyonce/Radiohead style) and then in the Fall release the 2nd album in the same manner.