Author Topic: U2 failure to understand technology a problem  (Read 7535 times)

Offline connemarawithin

• Babyface
Re: U2 failure to understand technology a problem
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
I'm prepared to wait for the album.  If it comes, great.  If it doesn't, I'll be saddened.  But how the band talks about it, or not, really makes no difference to me.

With the possible exception of posting on a fan forum in a thread about how the band communicates.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 01:46:44 AM »
Comments seem to have become narrowed to the album delay announcements and the chaos the band's response (or lack there of) caused. That is hardly the point. It is only one small piece in the band's overall failure to adapt to new technology and social media. And yes, it is THE BAND'S job to grasp these things, not their management or staff. U2 have not been about just making good music since Bono put on The Fly's shades.
If you are going to take a decade to record about 9 songs and release them, social media is a great way just to let folks you are not dead. I am not talking about us, the fans. We already know more than we should. I am talking about the general public. It does not have to be too personal and it should not be some sort of press release. Bono meets interesting people every day or goes to interesting places. Snap a pick and post them on twitter or FB. Nothing to personal and it does not always have to be music related. If an when something like the Billboard article comes out, social media allows the band to address it immediately and get in front of it. So if, let'ts say, Edge drops a brief post article tweet "Album status not really changed, still working and moving forward", there we have been much more confidence in that then some undisclosed spokes person. Springsteen is an icon that gets it. Bono wants to know if the band is relevant today. Regardless of how great or just good the next album is, the honest truth is....they are not that relevant today. They are like my grandparents trying to figure out the DVD player.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 01:54:10 AM »
thanks God they don't use that rubbish!! Twitter, instagram and so on. To me A facebook account is enough. And i don't need them to communicate on each movement they do. I want my U2 to keep some Mystery. And they don't owe us any statement so far. nothing was planned and there was no release date for the album. so i don't know why they would need to justify themselves on something that was never going to happen anyway. I want them to live their lives away from that internet crap, and to release music whenever they feel the need to. If you guys can't realize that they have other things to do in their lives, well get on with yours!

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »
Whatever they would hypothetically tweet/post would never be enough for the fans who always want more.

And the last thing the general public wants or needs is pictures and more info about Bono and his travels. The indifferent people will stay indifferent, the haters will use it as fuel. Does his personal life really need to have a higher profile? Do any of theirs?

And I consider the recording of an album as personal time.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
the recording of an album is personal time indeed!

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
I don't really have any need whatsoever for U2 to take to Twitter etc. I won't see it as I won't be wasting time on that medium (just this one). All I'd like is the occasional update on their website and whilst I completely respect it is their music and they can take all the time they want with it, I have a bit of a problem re the lack of updates where they themselves have led us to expect a release around about now. A couple of sentence update would do wonders. On the technology front, I would like to see them embrace some sort of app for the next album and tour to connect to fans.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
I prefer the silence since NLOTH over the insta-comments we were bombarded with after ATYCLB and Bomb.

And I realllly don't need U2 posting on FB, Twitter etc...

Offline oopoopsonob

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
Exactly.

I don't need see any need for twitter whatsoever. Regardless of U2.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »
Just stop checking in every day for news, and do what we used to do... Something else whilst we wait.

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
This thread is spot on.
I've said all this before on here.
If you want to how it's done in modern age - check out the blitz of a rollout that coldplay is putting on right now.
It's textbook.
Makes arcade fire's look like baby food.
It's frustrating because u-2 went a long way in creating the model - but somehow - without having the goods- they just feel small, burned out and rather insignificant right now in comparison.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:38 AM »
I hope you don't mind me kicking the dust off this old post, but with the most recent  new following Bono's terrible accident, and also the whole Apple fiasco, I think it is is very relevant.
Let's go last first. The bike accident. From a PR standpoint, I don't think this could have been handled much worse, starting with the band's response on their webpage. Ick. The initial reports of a "bike accident" leading to a week of canceled TV appearances made Bono come across as a dottering old fool. The band's upbeat tone and levity in their post on their website only made  this perception worse, to the pnt you had comments here form the likes of Flyboy and toher decrying that something "fishy" was going on.

Dear Edge, Larry and Adam,
Careening off your bike in a high energy bicycle accident and fracturing your eye socket and shattering your elbow to the point it is sticking out your arm is NOT a "spill". 

If, I did not know that all the band members probably approved the  statement put on the webpage, I would argue that the fool who wrote it should be fired. I am going to wager it was someone who has been with the band forever, a trusted remember of the U2 family, and this is the problem. A lot of these folks have been with the band foooooorever.  Not yes men (or women), but just out of touch. I think this is possibly what also has led to the (no album this year) article in Billboard, as well as the Apple mess. (I believe Bono's argument that the band did not mean for the album to be placed on every Apple device, but that they did not grasp that  was happening is a sign of the problem.

I would like to see the band stop using their website as the main forum of releasing information ad perhaps expand their footprint on Twitter and Facebook. (I don't use either much, but I grasp the importance of a band like U2 needing to do so.) I would like to see a more personal voice from the band, with all the band members participating a little. (We don't need Katy Perry volumes of  information, but a little bit form all four members would add up to a lot.) Also, the band needs some fresh blood watching over their PR. You want the folks who helped you with Zooropa on board, that is great, but they do not get to be in charge. The band needs some eyes watching over their shoulder that understand modern media, and who know what should be said, when it should be said and how it should be said.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 06:23:27 AM »
I absolutely disagree.

I'm a cyclist and, as serious as Bono's injuries go, it's a just a bike crash. It happens to a lot of people and since "full recovery is expected", why make a big fuzz about it ?

If the band had come forward with funeral faces and insisted on "major trauma" or something like that, it would have lit up the fire (media attention, paparazzis, rumours...)

Because, all in all, it's not such a big deal. Bono crashed, went to the hospital and will get well. End of story.

Imagine if the band had "dramatized" things... Bono is supposed to fight against poverty & hunger and yet, he's whining about a bike crash ? Major bashing would have ensued.

Get over it, please.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:50 AM »
Maybe at the time of the announcement the band didn't know the full extent of the injury. Plus it was a PR person writing the statement.

Offline Flying_Leg_Kick

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 07:16:20 AM »
Do you think it's maybe their management or whoever they use for PR that's the problem?

Sometimes I wonder if they've signed one too many NDA, rendering them silent on just about everything project-related.  To a fault.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2014, 08:13:24 AM »
they absolutely understand technology. maybe it's just none of our business. more kudos to them for NOT stooping to the mindless minutiae of twitter