Author Topic: U2 failure to understand technology a problem  (Read 7567 times)

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: U2 failure to understand technology a problem
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »
I like the disconnect. They're a rock band. I'm interested in their music. I don't wanna follow them or anyone else on twitter. If I want to hear from a celeb I'll read their books/interviews, watch them on chat shows or documentaries. The more people who shy away from this "share everything!!!" society we live in the better IMO.

Offline sceptic

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like the disconnect. They're a rock band. I'm interested in their music. I don't wanna follow them or anyone else on twitter. If I want to hear from a celeb I'll read their books/interviews, watch them on chat shows or documentaries. The more people who shy away from this "share everything!!!" society we live in the better IMO.

I agree with this and some of the previous posts. We don't really need to know everything. Keeping a bit of mystery can actually work for the good. Even if it's become more difficult in these social media days.

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
I'm interested in U2 for the music, I couldn't care less that they have little interest for social media,at the end of the day they don't need any of that stuff.

Offline Flying_Leg_Kick

• Stateless
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »

I agree with this and some of the previous posts. We don't really need to know everything. Keeping a bit of mystery can actually work for the good. Even if it's become more difficult in these social media days.

YMMV

Smaller bands have embraced social media in a very effective way.  Smaller bands, though, probably couldn't support a fan club like U2 has.  But, it's not like U2.com is this super exclusive spot for insider information.  And, for that matter, it seemed like it took U2.com a little long to even make it into something worth visiting.  Smaller bands...these other communication mediums work for them for many reasons, youth and newness probably at the top of them; they're more a product of the culture than U2 is/was.

For me, I don't want to know what Bono's eating for dinner, or what he thinks of the current season of Scandal.  But, I do think the band marginalized itself a bit by shrouding itself in near total secrecy for three or four years, probably because of a tightly written NDA or two, where the industry embraced these mediums.  I, as a fan, don't need 24/7 inundation.  A postcard now and then with some toss-away material...others do it, U2 could and should be, too.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
Unfortunately we seem to live in a world where everyone is entitled to know everything about everyone, RIGHT NOW.  Instant gratification through social media.  The band are failing and not doing their job by not giving us what we want - no what we need - no what we have a right to - when we want it.  Let's all fire U2, those swines.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
what exactly does "marginalized themselves" mean ?

they will announce a tour and it will sell out in minutes without the aid of social media.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
I remember the old days when I would get computer time at the library to find out anything I could about the album that ended up being Pop.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
A lot of the response I am getting seems to be that fans don't need a large quantity of information from the band, and with this I agree totally. No one  is suggesting  daily reports from the band on Facebook or Twitter. And I will repeat that I don't really use either. We are not talking about the quantity of information being produced by the band through modern media technology, we are talking about the quality of the information. I was speaking largely about incorrect information being released, the the ensuing back tracking or struggle clarification that follows. Facebook and Twitter only come in to play as a means for the band members to possibly address things  they choose to address quickly. I am not  suggesting the band share recipes.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 06:23:13 AM »

I absolutely disagree.

Imagine if the band had "dramatized" things... Bono is supposed to fight against poverty & hunger and yet, he's whining about a bike crash ? Major bashing would have ensued.

Get over it, please.

Bono just confirmed what I said yesterday :

Offline Flying_Leg_Kick

• Stateless
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 07:11:39 AM »
We are not talking about the quantity of information being produced by the band through modern media technology, we are talking about the quality of the information. I was speaking largely about incorrect information being released, the the ensuing back tracking or struggle clarification that follows.

I get what you mean, but I don't think that's technology.  That's more a bad publicist, manager, agent, or consultant than it is technological savvy.  With the right people on the ground, those folks could (and should) be able to handle almost anything for the guys via any number of services and through virtually any/every media channel available.

I definitely think there's some quality control issues, though.  Like, especially their marketing.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
I don't think it's Livenation. If anything, U2 has Livenation more under their control for image purposes. U2 is a cash cow.

I bet they have been staying under the radar with social media is an effort to not give away details of the album/tour plans/Bono's recovery. Edge will probably start tweeting again at tour time.

I do miss Adam's videos.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:26:03 AM by jenniferh aka jen »

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
Stopped reading at "U2 failure"

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »

Really? Why is that?

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:48 AM »

Really? Why is that?
Just poking a little fun at my perceived hyperbole of the thread title. I did read the OP. I don't see a "PR mess" nor Bono thinking himself above the Pope or the POTUS simply because they use social media (I wonder if either of them have thought of using free podcasts on iTunes, but i digress). Plenty of people who don't have Facebook/Twitter don't see a problem, and I'm pretty sure plenty of people who have Facebook/Twitter don't see a problem either. One of the reasons i posted earlier in this thread about going to the public library computer for band nuggets pre-Pop is that I miss some of that mystery and mythology about my favorite band.  They were shrouded in secrecy and anticipation and I loved it. My apologies to the author and the mods if it came across as offensive in any way.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2014, 01:58:08 AM »
This is something that really puzzled me about U2 over the last decade or so. They had the rights to their digital music written into their contract in the early '90s. They saw downloading music coming that early on. They had the first number 1 song on iTunes. They had the U2 iPod. Edge and Bono were so vocally supportive about downloading their material from the early 2000s on, as long as no one was getting ripped off. After Atomic Bomb, though, it felt like they really lost track of digital media and, by extension, social media. I think the iTunes SOI release will work out for the best in the long term as it has people talking about U2 a hell of a lot more than they would be otherwise, and there are a ton of people who were pretty unaware of U2 previously who now are aware of them. I like that they're still looking forward to how to release their music, but their social presence still leaves a lot to be desired.