Author Topic: The Animal Collective Worship/Discussion Thread  (Read 471 times)

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
The Animal Collective Worship/Discussion Thread
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
Yeah, I understand that they're not every U2 fan's cup of tea, but I've been obsessed with their catalogue the past couple months, and it's as rich, varied, and deep as U2's. Not to mention that, at least in my opinion, they're the most forward-thinking group in the post-radiohead music scene. Some of their early music is very dense and experimental, but over time they've become more and more accessible without losing what makes them "them".

So, opinions? Criticism? Thoughts? Just thought it might make an interesting discussion.

For those who haven't heard of them, here are two of their most accessible/popular songs:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Boom Cha!

Re: The Animal Collective Worship/Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »
I was really into them a few years ago, but I can't remember the last time I was in the mood to listen to them. However, you bringing them up made me want to listen to them again!

Playing Feels right now. Did You See The Words is probably my favorite song of theirs.

If anyone out there wants to get into Animal Collective I would suggest starting out with Merriweather Post Pavilion (that's where I started), because it's their easiest album to digest.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
By the way, _acrobat, it's nice to meet another U2 fan who loves bands like Animal Collective and Sonic Youth.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
By the way, _acrobat, it's nice to meet another U2 fan who loves bands like Animal Collective and Sonic Youth.

Agreed!

Feels is a great album. Can't say it's my all-time favorite by them but Words, Grass, Bees, and ESPECIALLy Banshee Beat are all really awesome.

If I had to rank their albums it would probably be:
Strawberry Jam
Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
Sung Tongs
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Feels
Here Comes the Indian
Centipede Hz
Danse Manatee
Campfire Songs

Their EPs are all worth getting too :)