Author Topic: 6 things I would like to see before U2 calls it a day  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
6 things I would like to see before U2 calls it a day
« on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
A story tellers style show where the band plays different songs from their catalog as well as new songs and talk about the writing. 

A U2 festival ala Ozzfest

An Ep with Edge as the lead singer. 

An acoustic album of U2 songs from their back catalog.

A rarities tour - where they specifically ditch the hits and play underworked and lesser known material. 

Last concert of their career-play red rocks

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: 6 things I would like to see before U2 calls it a day
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
closing out at Red Rocks would be special. I'm not sure about the whole edge-lead singer thing or the acoustic album. The rarities tour would be great but I can't see it. Demand for U2 tickets is so high, if you do a rarities tour you'd have a scalpers dream come true.

I'd like to see them attempt a Rockaria, ala American Idiot, Tommy, or The Wall. They could use all the leftover material that's never been released and it would give it a 3-decade sound, allowing them to follow a character through his life....

hrsan

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A story tellers style show where the band plays different songs from their catalog as well as new songs and talk about the writing. 

A rarities tour - where they specifically ditch the hits and play underworked and lesser known material. 

I'm sure whatever their last concert of their career is going to be, it won't be at Red Rocks, it will probably be in Dublin.

meximofo

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
How about a definite revisit to POP, based on the live versions of some of the tracks? The band had mentioned this in the past, but we only got some remixes for the Best Of collection. Or do you think the band cannot do the album justice in this period of their lives?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
How about a definite revisit to POP, based on the live versions of some of the tracks? The band had mentioned this in the past, but we only got some remixes for the Best Of collection. Or do you think the band cannot do the album justice in this period of their lives?

I just want a proper Pop remaster and bonus disc. I don't want them remixing it or altering it in any way; just remaster it and leave it be.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

I'm sure whatever their last concert of their career is going to be, it won't be at Red Rocks, it will probably be in Dublin.

Your probably right, but under a blood red sky really was a huge breakthrough for the band.  Convert has actually aged pretty well.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

I just want a proper Pop remaster and bonus disc. I don't want them remixing it or altering it in any way; just remaster it and leave it be.

I would love to have them rerecord the drums on many of those tracks as Larry's back being out hurt the band.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »

Instead of revisiting it, I wish that they would stop pretending that they didn't made it and give it justice like it deserves. In other words, playing it live in the next tour.
I don't think that now they would be able to finish it: sadly these aren't the 90's and they are different people now.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
I'm going for 10

1. Release the rubin sessions
2. Release the danger mouse sessions
3. Play small arenas on the next tour but lots of shows
4. Become a great band again
5. Become a guitar driven band again
6. Find some amazing chord sequences again.
7. No more slogan lyrics
8. No more self referential B.S.
9. Create something you and your fans are proud of
10. Write a rock n roll song better than UTEOTW
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:27:51 PM by eddyjedi »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »

Instead of revisiting it, I wish that they would stop pretending that they didn't made it and give it justice like it deserves. In other words, playing it live in the next tour.
I don't think that now they would be able to finish it: sadly these aren't the 90's and they are different people now.

Not to mention that they can't even finish a new album in five years at this point. I doubt they could rework an older album at a faster pace either.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »
I'm going for 10

1. Release the rubin sessions
2. Release the danger mouse sessions
3. Play small arenas on the next tour but lots of shows
4. Become a great band again
5. Become a guitar driven band again
6. Find some amazing chord sequences again.
7. No more slogan lyrics
8. No more self referential B.S.
9. Create something you and your fans are proud of
10. Write a rock n roll song better than UTEOTW

the problem with 4 & 5 in your list (which I agree with BTW) is that everyone has a different idea of what a great band is.  When they came back and did this (4 & 5) on Elevation Tour, half their 'fanbase' (on this forum) called it crap and wanted more Popmart nonsense.  (and I really like Pop BTW).

In the end they just need to make music that they believe in, that represents them, not 10+ producers or whatever the number is.  It almost feels like they are a broadway production at this point, with different writers, producers and all cast of creative types nudging them along.  As if they are just the actors delivering the lines.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
It's like the band have had a brain injury since NLOTH

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
Lots of silly things in this thread, most of which would never happen in a million years.

How about we just hope for one last decent album and tour.  Or even just a decent tour.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
I would really like to see the band perform The unforgettable fire ,The Joshua Tree,and Achtung Baby in their entirety. And one grand Symphonic concert .

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 06:33:25 PM »
Only 1 wish and that is for them to release all this material they have recorded over past 8 years that has never been released, charting back to the Rubin sessions really. Dont care how they release it, just wish we could hear it all.