Author Topic: 6 things I would like to see before U2 calls it a day  (Read 3005 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: 6 things I would like to see before U2 calls it a day
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
I agree on the whole "release it all" thing .... I'd love to hear the 50 or so songs they never released

Edgedisciple

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Only 1 wish and that is for them to release all this material they have recorded over past 8 years that has never been released, charting back to the Rubin sessions really. Dont care how they release it, just wish we could hear it all.

That would be really cool. I'm sure that there are plenty of gems on those sessions that will never see the light of day.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
Find their balls again. . . Because if they do i am convinced that they could be great again.

Offline Gypsy Heart

• Wanderer
  • Smell The Flowers While You Can ...
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »
Only 1 wish and that is for them to release all this material they have recorded over past 8 years that has never been released, charting back to the Rubin sessions really. Dont care how they release it, just wish we could hear it all.

That would be really cool. I'm sure that there are plenty of gems on those sessions that will never see the light of day.

It would certainly be cool. But I guess, given the case, they will release those gems on some anniversary occasion, reissue style (something I don't really want or need)... or in a couple of decades, when they're finished, in order to let the world know they're still around.

Offline Gypsy Heart

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
I would love them to paid tribute to the country where the band was born, delighting the world with folk music. When I mention "the world", I am addressing not only their fanbase, but people who have never ever had a genuine interest in U2. I guess we all need a break, the lads included, U2 have gone through different eras, and perhaps, at this point in the lives of four men in their early 50's, something 100% new will be just great. Folk music will suit them well. I don't care whether they will be relevant or not, all I want to listen to is the result of innovation.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »

Find their balls again. . . Because if they do i am convinced that they could be great again.
This

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »
I'd like the sequel to TUF written...

And another album that's overtly celtic, much in the way of Simple Minds' Belfast Child.
The unreleased as well...And that bit about finding their balls, ditching the metaphorical sunglasses...That as well.

In fact, make the request that when they do find them, that they'd have trouble putting on pants kind of thing. Dortmund circa '84/'85 balls type thing.

And speaking of balls, the whole "They're in the early fifties..." bit is total pants. It's U2 for Bono's sake, just stop attempting to take the demographic temperature
and release your music.

Seriously, a new album would be a nice start.

Offline HotRod1999

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »
 :-\ 8) I just want them to go back against the grain of what is 'happening' in the music scene like they did with Achtung Baby. Releasing "The Fly" song and video, with Bono all slicked out and treading along the top of a building is what I want to see again. It was a complete 180 against the early grunge scene of the nineties. And it worked!

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »
These ideas look very intriguing or thought provoking:

A story tellers style show where the band plays different songs from their catalog as well as new songs and talk about the writing. 
  This would seem the most plausible and I think it would play well with Bono's ego.  The only drawback I can see is Bono's over reliance on his go-to talking points: "The band OR Edge's guitar is on fire"  "We've got a great collection of songs, we just need to finish them" etc, etc.  For this to really work, Bono would need to spend time thinking about what he wants say about his craft as a songwriter to give the casual viewer new insight about how he writes songs or what inspires him without sounding like a parrot of himself.

A U2 festival ala Ozzfest
  Seeing how Ozzfest is a genre specific music festival, what other bands would qualify to be on the same bill with U2?  I know the standard answer is REM, but they're retired.  Also, I know they're contemporaries of U2, but I've NEVER thought their music fell into the same vein or genre as U2's music.  Besides, would U2 fans really want to pony up a butt-load of cash for a bunch of bands they may or may NOT want to see just to see U2 in concert?

This is going to sound controversial, especially to fans of the other 2 bands that I'm going to mention, but I've always felt that the triumvirate of bands to come out of the UK & Ireland that represented the 80's were U2, Depeche Mode, & The Cure.  For their collective body of work produced by all 3 bands from 1980 - 1985, this represented alternative radio's bread & butter.

An Ep with Edge as the lead singer. 
  Seeing how Edge has already sung lead vocals on "Seconds", "Van Diemen's Land", and "Numb", I'm not sure what a new EP would add to Edge's repertoire.  One thing U2 fans can always count on is Edge's consistency on vocal duties.  These 3 songs have their own unique style and distinct themes that showcase his range as a singer.

An acoustic album of U2 songs from their back catalog.
  This could be a challenging exercise for the band as they could tackle songs they have never performed acoustically.  Obviously this would eliminate songs like October, Seconds, Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling or any of the songs they've performed stripped down on every tour since the ZOO TV era.  Or maybe fans would like to hear studio recorded versions of the acoustic songs from the ZOO TV tours.  This might require fan input a la the U22 fan club CD.

A rarities tour - where they specifically ditch the hits and play underworked and lesser known material. 
  Well, no argument there.  As others have mentioned in previous thread posts, this may be more for the hardcore fan than the casual fan.  This could be really interesting if U2 played one of Edge's instrumentals off of the Captive Soundtrack

Last concert of their career-play red rocks
  While I understand many fans' longing for this nostalgic venue because of its historic importance in the band's career, I've never been a fan of all natural, stone amphitheatres because of problems with the acoustics.  Yes, Live at Red Rocks sounds perfect, but remember that was recorded using a professional mobile recording studio with post-production work done by Steve Lillywhite, whose trained ears knew how to tweak the raw audio tapes into pure audio bliss.  My biggest problem with stone amphitheatres, which some would argue is also a problem with big football stadiums, is the backwash produced by sound bouncing off the hard stone surface.  [See also The Gorge Amphitheatre in Washington State]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:02:07 AM by LToy »

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 01:23:57 AM »
I might be in the minority, but I DONT want to see the release of any of those rare or shelved albums/sessions before they call it quits.  I want these released sometime AFTER they call it quits

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
I might be in the minority, but I DONT want to see the release of any of those rare or shelved albums/sessions before they call it quits.  I want these released sometime AFTER they call it quits

Yep.  People forget that even once U2 calls it a day as a performing/recording band, U2 as a BUSINESS will be alive and well for YEARS.  Granted, U2 have released quite a bit of stuff with their deluxe reissues already, but there's likely plenty more the band could release once they retire.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
Referring to the one about their last concert being at Red Rocks, I would actually love if they performed a full concert at a venue known for their incredible acoustics, like Carnegie Hall for example.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »
The more original material they release the better, in my view.

Offline Gypsy Heart

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
The more original material they release the better, in my view.
I guess we all expect something ORIGINAL. The question is... Original meaning new, different from whatever they have been doing all these decades... Or original like taking them back in time, as if it were a rebirth? I think this may be the problem when it comes to the need of another album with no reissues, which BTW I do not wish at all... No more reissues of reissues... Plz! Of course, I do agree with you. And in case you want to know my answer, I posted it a couple of days ago in this very thread. That's what I call original, no matter whether it is feasible plan, idea, proyect or not to them... IMO, they're having low opinions of themselves, and the result could be songs as poor and low-rate as OL and Invisible.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:14:52 PM by Gypsy Heart »

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:29 AM »
I giant free concert somewhere.....................................doing each album...i know prob impossible.. :D :D