Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29733 times)

Offline New Zooland

• Refugee
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fair enough. How about the Rutles?

Now you're talking!

Still going strong, although minus Dirk and Stig these days sadly....

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
Billy Coragan
Smashing Pumpkins

It was 1983 I was 16, and from the moment I heard New years day it was unlike anything I ever heard it was fierce, political,passionate they quickly became the most important band in the world to me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:19:26 PM by bondylan »

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »
ROBERT SMITH
THE CURE

I never liked U2 the things they've done over the years the single with the Edge intoning platitudes over a really tired backing: if we were to do something like that it wouldn't get past the demo stage, Id think someone in the group was taking a pi*s.

My opinion on Smith's comment is I think his entire band( the cure) has been taking a pi*s since 1992 's Wish , And please grow up already loose that goth look for crying out loud !
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:39:20 PM by bondylan »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
Who: George Harrison, Beatles
When: 2001
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

I've never been a fan of the Beatles, and with an attitude like that, I'm not about to start.

And the fact that pretty much every other rock star quoted is a fan makes Georger Harrison seem extremely arrogant. I was thinking of waiting until I was 64 to listen to the Beatles. It might have to be 94 now.

You wouldn't listen to The Beatles because George Harrison once said something you didn't like about U2? Geez. You know the comment was about U2 and not you, right?

Nah, I have always refused to listen to the most over rated musical act on the planet. I have heard enough of their songs in the mainstream and they have never appealed to me. I know what I am missing. ;) That was already my decision, George Harrison didn't help anything. 
(It's a bit like Kramer refusing to wear an AIDS ribbon even when he was on the AIDS walk. I refuse to listen to The Beatles even if everyone thinks they are cool. Because I can. :)  )

P.S Your sarcasm doesn't help anything, of course I know the comment was not about me. What prompts you to speak that way to me? I haven't been here in quite a while, and pretty quickly people are being rude again. "Geez."
Personally, I think the Beatles, While overrated, are a great band. I am the walrus is a fantastic song, and a perfect commentary on people's unreasonable expectations of rock stars. What other lead singer would deliberately lead his fans on a futile search for meaning in meaningless lyrics? Lennon utterly mocked himself in a way that 90s U2 would have been proud of.....

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2014, 03:12:07 AM »
Probably many bands are over rated, simply because that is what marketing actually does.

I haven't bothered searching out a lot of music from before my time. The Beatles are definitely before my time. I've heard plenty of their music without even trying, and I mostly find it to be quite syrupy.

The 60s does interest me, and there was a lot of significant protest music and much revolutionary thought going on during that time. The Beatles however were not a part of this. They rode the wave of their commercial success and then tried to cash in on the hippy movement later on once it was already cool. I don't have much respect for that, hence I consider them to be phonies with little artistic integrity. But that's all my loss considering they were so popular. But then again I don't listen to music just because it is popular or I would be a fan of Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Madonna, Boy-zone and New Kids on the Block. But I'm not. Therefore, The Beatles are not for me. My point was that George Harrison just underlined by his attitude a decision I had long ago already made, it was not as if I chose not to listen to them because of his comments.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2014, 05:41:35 AM »
'overrated'

Out of interest, who decides what the correct and appropriate level of 'rating' is?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2014, 05:41:57 AM »
If the answer is no one, then I'm applying for that job.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2014, 06:29:49 AM »
ROBERT SMITH
THE CURE

I never liked U2 the things they've done over the years the single with the Edge intoning platitudes over a really tired backing: if we were to do something like that it wouldn't get past the demo stage, Id think someone in the group was taking a pi*s.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Brandon Flowers and Dave Keuning of The Killers are big U2 fans, there are tons of interview where they talk about it.

Offline New Zooland

• Refugee
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
Probably many bands are over rated, simply because that is what marketing actually does.

I haven't bothered searching out a lot of music from before my time. The Beatles are definitely before my time. I've heard plenty of their music without even trying, and I mostly find it to be quite syrupy.

The 60s does interest me, and there was a lot of significant protest music and much revolutionary thought going on during that time. The Beatles however were not a part of this. They rode the wave of their commercial success and then tried to cash in on the hippy movement later on once it was already cool. I don't have much respect for that, hence I consider them to be phonies with little artistic integrity. But that's all my loss considering they were so popular. But then again I don't listen to music just because it is popular or I would be a fan of Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Madonna, Boy-zone and New Kids on the Block. But I'm not. Therefore, The Beatles are not for me. My point was that George Harrison just underlined by his attitude a decision I had long ago already made, it was not as if I chose not to listen to them because of his comments.

Absolutely. Your loss. Feel free to not listen to some of the greatest, most revolutionary music ever written and recorded with massive global artistic and cultural influence.

meximofo

« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
ROBERT SMITH
THE CURE

My opinion on Smith's comment is I think his entire band( the cure) has been taking a pi*s since 1992 's Wish , And grow up already loose that goth look for crying out loud !

If Robert Smith dislikes U2 so much, why did he join Bono in Knockin on Heaven's Door in this video?:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (at 5:15)
Even that guy from Flock of Seagulls joins in!
 :P

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
It's all about personal taste and opinion - but give me 90s u2 over what they have been since 2000 every time.

This X 100!

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
It amazes me how some bands feel the need to diss U2 and in return U2 says something kind or complimentary about their music, case in point U2 has always spoke kindly about The Bunnymen and Edge recently gave a thumbs up to The Cure' s A Forrest . Apart from Bono and Edges drunkin remarks about Phil Collins ,I have never heard them diss a band point blank .
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:54:57 PM by bondylan »

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
Billy Coragan
Smashing Pumpkins

It was 1983 I was 16, and from the moment I heard New years day it was unlike anything I ever heard it was fierce, political,passionate they quickly became the most important band in the world to me.
New Year's Day is amazing, I can't believe U2 guys were just around 23 back then. Good taste by Corgan

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
AXl Rose
Guns and Roses

I'm really into U2, I've went to every one of their stadium shows that I could.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2014, 12:27:10 AM »
Joe Satriani
Guitar virtuoso

Asked by Guitar Player magazine
Who is your favorite guitar player ?  His answer:  The Edge !
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:07:47 AM by bondylan »