Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29593 times)

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2014, 01:18:58 AM »
Rob Thomas
Matchbox 20

U2 is the greatest band ever .

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2014, 01:53:36 AM »
After reading bondylan's post about Rob Thomas saying that U2 is the greatest band ever and trying to find when Rob Thomas said that, I found this--a handful of musicians talking about their favorite U2 song: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Apparently, Taylor Swift is a fan.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:59:24 AM by Pocket Merlin »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After reading bondylan's post about Rob Thomas saying that U2 is the greatest band ever and trying to find when Rob Thomas said that, I found this--a handful of musicians talking about their favorite U2 song: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wow, I just lost a little bit of my love for U2!

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »

wow, I just lost a little bit of my love for U2!

Why? Because their music speaks to someone you don't like?

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »

Great link, thanks!

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »
Ryan Tedder

One Republic

The Beatles were and U2 still are able to write massive hits that have more of a deeper meaning, Bono' s lyrics are so much from his gut,and so like honest but poetic They're not trying to be ambiguous or trying to be cool.

macfoley

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2014, 03:10:11 AM »
Some of the responses in here are rather hysterical. The George Harrison replies are so entertaining! So are the Robert Smith ones! :D

So anyone who slags of U2 it's "RIGHT THAT'S IT! I am NEVER listening to them again!"

Those who praise U2 are "I LOVE THEM NOW!"

Brilliant! Keep them coming, rather entertaining.

Offline bonofan2006

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
This is long, but it's worth I think

Who: Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters' drummer
When: 2005, Hot Press interview
What he said:

"To be honest, I'm probably more of an older U2 fan. I was a really huge fan of 'Boy', 'October', 'War' and 'The Unforgettable Fire'. I like their new stuff here and there, but my favourite stuff is really the early, underproduced stuff.
  'Under A Blood Red Sky' was a really big record for me when I was a kid, but there's something about 'Boy', man I love it: the energy, the youthfulness of it and I just love the way they sounded back then.
  With U2 you can't listen to the first four albums in the sun. You can almost only really enjoy then in the winter because they have this darkness to them. You just think of them in the snow with those big overcoats on, all earnest, like in the 'New Years Day' video. By 'Joshua Tree', though, you could listen to them in the sun.
  I met Larry Mullen Jnr when I was real young, at the MTV Awards. I was playing with Alanis Morissette when I was 23. I went up to him and said 'Dude, you were such an influence to me and to so many drummers and I just think you're really great'. He was really nice to me.
  I regret to say I never saw them play back in the day, but I just saw them on this tour and they were really great. I saw them on the 'Achtung Baby' tour and I didn't like that so much. I like some of that record but I don't love all of it, and I wasn't really into the ironic rock star thing they were going for at that time. They were kinda taking the pi*s out of being rock guys and I'm just not really into joke rock. Even though the songs were serious and I definitely like a couple of songs off that record, just the vibe and the huge stage and the cars with lights and sh** on them, I couldn't pay attention to what was going on: it was too much of a multi-media affair
  But when I saw them on this tour, it was a really good, stripped-down rock show. They played 'Electric Co/An Cat Dudh' and that was the highlight of the show for me. I would love to see them in a club, just playing their first three records. I like their new stuff but it's more worldly now."

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »
I remember hearing Taylor Swift say something along the lines of if she could have a conversation with anyone in the world it would be Bono. I wonder if they've met by now? (Well, we would probably have seen pictures if such a meeting took place.)

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
John Lydon (aka) Johnny Rotten
Sex Pistols

"U2 that's a band that should have never existed".
"There's no life experience in any of their songs".

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »

I remember hearing Taylor Swift say something along the lines of if she could have a conversation with anyone in the world it would be Bono. I wonder if they've met by now? (Well, we would probably have seen pictures if such a meeting took place.)

I think they met at the Golden Globes afterparty or something

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »
PETE TOWNSEND
THE WHO

"I didn't like the U2 album Zooropa which surprised me ,cause it got spectacular reviews I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:23:35 PM by bondylan »

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »
Robert Zimmerman
(Aka) Bob Dylan

"Yeah U2 will probably be around years from now ,I like U2 a lot,U2 are actually pretty original they got that thing goin."

hrsan

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »
Interviewer:  If you could push a button that would magically guarantee an end to the chaos in Iraq, but you would have to walk around with ‘Bono Rules’ tattooed to your forehead for the rest of your days, would you do it?

Henry Rollins:  No, but I would do it on your forehead for busfare.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »
Henry Rollins.......what a joke he is.