Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29317 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2014, 01:30:45 AM »
I know Tori Amos is a U2 fan. When I interviewed her in 1996, she said she wanted to do a duet with Bono but they couldn't coordinate their schedules. For her RAINN organisation, I think. Lovely lady, imagine her and Bono at their vocal peaks singing together!

I've never, ever heard U2 badmouth another band or musician, ever. Yeah, Bono called Chris Martin a "wa**er", but that was in jest... I think.  ::)

Behind closed doors, among themselves, sure, I bet they've said a few words! But U2 stay classy in public -- if you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say anything. That's why other musicians who bag them come across as wa***rs. It's why U2 have more fans than critics in the music industry -- they're gentlemen and scholars. I'm sure this is what grates on the nerves of many of their critics -- they're such nice guys!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:59:19 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From Cork, the Sultans of Ping were one of the few Irish acts to have a pop at their fellow countrymen in U2 on many an occasion. I remember that even the art work from this particular single was in Achtung Baby font (it was 1992) and read 'U talk 2 much'. To this day they blame U2'-loving Hot Press magazine for their demise:

Seeing that video, they should blame themselves for their demise. The guy looks like he is being anally raped while singing.

smee

« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2014, 05:28:22 AM »
I know Tori Amos is a U2 fan. When I interviewed her in 1996, she said she wanted to do a duet with Bono but they couldn't coordinate their schedules. For her RAINN organisation, I think. Lovely lady, imagine her and Bono at their vocal peaks singing together!

I've never, ever heard U2 badmouth another band or musician, ever. Yeah, Bono called Chris Martin a "wa**er", but that was in jest... I think.  ::)

Behind closed doors, among themselves, sure, I bet they've said a few words! But U2 stay classy in public -- if you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say anything. That's why other musicians who bag them come across as wa***rs. It's why U2 have more fans than critics in the music industry -- they're gentlemen and scholars. I'm sure this is what grates on the nerves of many of their critics -- they're such nice guys!
Ahem................You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Edgedisciple

« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2014, 06:00:54 AM »

It was an ironic banter. Nothing serious. And it was during the Zoo TV era, so go figure.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »

It was an ironic banter. Nothing serious. And it was during the Zoo TV era, so go figure.

They look so YOUNG! Even Phil Collins...

Yeah, I treat it the same as Bono calling Chris Martin a wa**er on radio. Taking the pi*s, mostly out of how seriously Phil's presenting the award. Larry didn't take part though, he has respect for fellow drummers!

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »
Bono, 37, told a sell-out crowd during PopMart  at Leeds: "Good people of Yorkshire, you are making a terrible mistake.
"George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. He said it's all about big hats, lemons and egos."
Then sticking his finger in the air in a rude gesture, Bono barked: "This one's for you George, pump it up!"
The crowd cheered U2 and jeered Harrison.

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »
Most will hate this... but -
Kanye West
West also talked about how one of the new album's songs, the lovely "I Wonder," was inspired by the U2 track "City of Blinding Lights": After seeing Bono and crew perform "Lights" to rapturous crowds when he was opening for them, Kanye told himself, "I want one of those."

hrsan

« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:45 AM »
Dave Ellefson of Megadeth  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Megadeth bassist David Ellefson opened up in a recent interview defending U2’s controversial release of ‘Songs of Innocence,’ which automatically appeared in everyone’s iTunes library. He also compared the move to Metallica’s decision to fight Napster, saying Lars Ulrich and the rest of the band were “right” to fight the file-sharing site.

In the interview with JoeDaly.net, Ellefson was asked about his thoughts on the new U2 album and how it was delivered. “I think U2 are a fantastic band, just like any big group that goes out and takes chances,” Ellefson said. “Years ago, everybody wanted to hate on Metallica and Lars Ulrich because he fought Napster. Well, duh! He was right. Now there’s another big artist named Taylor Swift doing the same thing with Spotify. “

The bassist added, “So it’s easy to hate people when they’re making bold moves that quite honestly, the rest of us can’t make. So it’s easy to hate the 800-pound gorilla because everybody sees them as entitled and privileged and they get to do what the rest of us can’t. But you know what? They work their asses off for it. I didn’t buy the last U2 record, it was given to me by iTunes. (laughs) I did listen to part of it on the airplane and there are U2-isms on there. “

I saw them when they played on the Tonight Show after Jimmy Fallon took over there was  a moment when the Edge picked up an acoustic guitar from behind the couch and started playing “Stairway to Heaven.” I can tell a guy’s musicianship within the first two to three bars of him touching the instrument, whether he’s playing the drums or a piano or plucking an acoustic guitar. You can tell the quality of their craft within the first few notes and U2 have it.

Ellefson continued, “They’re a phenomenally great band. Whether you like their recent songs or not, whether you like some of the publicity moves they make or their business acumen, I have nothing but tremendous respect for that band. I’ve always said, the hardest thing is to start a band and the second-hardest thing is to keep a band together, and they’ve been doing it for a long, long time.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:13:25 AM by hrsan »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »
Dave Ellefson of Megadeth  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Megadeth bassist David Ellefson opened up in a recent interview defending U2’s controversial release of ‘Songs of Innocence,’ which automatically appeared in everyone’s iTunes library. He also compared the move to Metallica’s decision to fight Napster, saying Lars Ulrich and the rest of the band were “right” to fight the file-sharing site.

In the interview with JoeDaly.net, Ellefson was asked about his thoughts on the new U2 album and how it was delivered. “I think U2 are a fantastic band, just like any big group that goes out and takes chances,” Ellefson said. “Years ago, everybody wanted to hate on Metallica and Lars Ulrich because he fought Napster. Well, duh! He was right. Now there’s another big artist named Taylor Swift doing the same thing with Spotify. “

The bassist added, “So it’s easy to hate people when they’re making bold moves that quite honestly, the rest of us can’t make. So it’s easy to hate the 800-pound gorilla because everybody sees them as entitled and privileged and they get to do what the rest of us can’t. But you know what? They work their asses off for it. I didn’t buy the last U2 record, it was given to me by iTunes. (laughs) I did listen to part of it on the airplane and there are U2-isms on there. “

Ellefson continued, “They’re a phenomenally great band. Whether you like their recent songs or not, whether you like some of the publicity moves they make or their business acumen, I have nothing but tremendous respect for that band. I’ve always said, the hardest thing is to start a band and the second-hardest thing is to keep a band together, and they’ve been doing it for a long, long time.

That is quite reasonable and gentlemanly. Good on Mr. Ellefson!!

No hate z -
Thanks for sharing!

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »
"After I moved to Hollywood, I was mired in a series of degrading, soul-crushing menial jobs. For a while, I was a professional alphabetizer. Were it not for this album, I would've murdered someone."

Tom Morello on The Joshua Tree, Spin Magazine 2003

I hope he didn't listen to Exit then!  ::)

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »
I'd like more of these post-SOI release opinions, but from today's artists. It seems like the Apple thing  is proving to be a watershed event in U2's career, a kind of "before" and "after." Even with the start of the tour the repercussion have not faded away.  I wonder how many of these opinions may have changed. Most of them  are from Vertigo era or before. Of course, you'll have to dig deeper to find post-Sept ones, a lot of these recent interviews prob come from Twitter links, Facebook pages or other social media rather then interviews or websites...but I like what I'm hearing.

So Taylor Swift is a fan? Lol. I'm gobsmacked though--"Sometimes.." ?  It's amazing, you have their whole big catalog full of timeless classics and she's obsessed with what most U2 fans would call a throwaway song. I haven't even listened to that in yrs. but to each their own, it depends on when you joined the fandom. It reminds me of a quote I heard about Bob Dylan once: "What do you MEAN that song is about a dog that got run over by a car in the street? That song changed my life and defined me for 15 yrs!"  ;D

I'm hoping that we see a lot of these folks just magically appear at shows this summer. That alone would be a gesture of solidarity. It's really strange, because U2 have reached a point where they should be commanding respect from people in the industry/community, simply because of their endurance, anyone who has reached this rarified level and still are there...and still care.  They should be on top of the world,  but the problem is, they've stayed true to character: going along great, slowly climbing to a peak, then doing something dramatic to smash the upward trajectory and collapsing dramatically,  then getting up, dusting themselves off,  and slowly climb another to another peak. It's amazing, that they still think there can be another peak??

This is where they're at now, and it's breaking all the rules. Acts break up, fade away, become Vegas-ified once they reach this age and esp. after enduring such a series of humiliating setbacks...some would argue that Vegas-ication is what's happening now, but given  the chaos of the tour  in that they're clearly sussing things out and trying to re-invent themselves yet again, and the mostly positive reviews of the tour so far, it's almost unprecedented...I'd argue that they're very far from becoming a caricature of themselves. Before May 15, I wasn't sure.

But they have changed. That cheekiness/playfulness/sass that Codeguy and others want to return: that comes from feeling that you are invincible; therefore, you can afford to do and say risky things. (the immortal "f*** the pop kids, we don't need 'em") When the band felt they had nothing left to lose, they had that. But now they feel they have everything to lose; they feel their foundation is no longer solid or even stable...therefore you play it safe. This seems paradoxical, but I think I understand it. I don't agree with it or support it, however. The tour is where I expect them to take risks, tinker and fiddle. 4 shows in, I can see a bit of that but not enough. I'm not passing judgment this soon however.   

Not to get OT here, but I'm clearly mystified by the reviews. Yes, we haven't heard from the really big guns yet...NYT, Wash Post, Irish Times (have we?) the Village Voice, Salon.com, Huff Post..but USA Today is hardly partisan. But really? How are these raves merited? The setlist is totally up in the air, they've been shaky musically, the show has yet to reach a coherent state...but even the negative reviews , like for San Jose, aren't scathing.  Honestly, I expected it to be an utter disaster, with the critics pronouncing The End. What I think has happened is:  the Fallon skits hit all the right notes--the band sounding a more humble note with the band willing to poke fun at themselves.  Plus I really think there's an undercurrent of respect and even admiration for Bono performing at the state he's in, everyone can see that in spite of all the energy he's shown onstage so far, he clearly is still recovering. (I'm still amazed the tour wasn't cancelled, that they had faith back in late November that Bono would be able to get out there in 6 months. This is U2 in their 50's: the "F you" attitude is: We're still here.) Then too, given the current fluid state of the music industry, I think there's an enormous amount of goodwill built up for them: people want to have something stable, solid and profitable to rally around. (It's a stupid attitude though: not about U2, but not planning ahead for the future, the industry resisted tech trends, plus this STUPID "instant massive profit now"/take no risk attitude,  and now is paying the price.)

That's all well and good, but I want any praise for the band to come on its own merits. So far I have not seen much written about how the new material translates live. It's such a big part of the show, and it is evolving. And we haven't heard all of it yet. "The Crystal Ballroom"  is going to be making its debut sometime after the Denver shows, according to Bono. That should merit a great graphic on the screen!

I can see ST's attitude towards the Beatles in a strange way. I went through plenty of stages of "everyone expects me to love this thing, b/c everyone loves it, it irritates me that I'm supposed to march in lockstep, therefore I won't like it." All I can say is, ST: I hope you one day get to hear Revolver. "Woman Is The N***er  Of The World." See footage of the John and Yoko's Bed-In For Peace. Appreciate how much of late 60's rebellion/culture was driven by the late-stage Beatles and not the other way around, as you think it was. And wonder at just how revolutionary and dangerous a song like "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" really was. If you think their first 2 albums defined them and after that it was all wanna-beism and hangers-on, you are so wrong.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »
Mary C, I will never be a huge beatles fan, but you're correct. The beatles didn't react to late 60's rebellion by changing their image and music to suit - they changed their music and image and the late 60's reacted to them. In that sense, Sargent Pepper is the greatest album of all time. This coming from someone who doesnt particularly like the Beatles.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
Trey Anastasio from the band Phish makes a U2 reference towards the beginning of this song...pretty hilarious

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Oh wow, that *was* funny. Too bad more people in the audience weren't in on the joke...