Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29356 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 09:51:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He gave G. HARRISON the finger at a concert I believe ........

Before or after George's quote?

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Bono, 37, told a sell-out crowd during PopMart  at Leeds: "Good people of Yorkshire, you are making a terrible mistake.
"George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. He said it's all about big hats, lemons and egos."
Then sticking his finger in the air in a rude gesture, Bono barked: "This one's for you George, pump it up!"

The crowd cheered U2 and jeered Harrison.

marvgadgie

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
When U2 played the Popmart concert at Leeds Bono said someting like George Harrison says you shouldn't be here, it's all big hats and lemons before sticking a middle finger up and going in to a song ... if memory serves correct. The crowd applauded loudly.

marvgadgie

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Bono, 37, told a sell-out crowd during PopMart  at Leeds: "Good people of Yorkshire, you are making a terrible mistake.
"George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. He said it's all about big hats, lemons and egos."
Then sticking his finger in the air in a rude gesture, Bono barked: "This one's for you George, pump it up!"

You beat me to it!

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
HAHAHAHHA.............. good memories

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »
HAHAHAHHA.............. good memories
Not that I want a giant peach and a Burger King logo across the stage on the next tour, but where is THAT U2???? The one with ATTITUDE!

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »
guess too worried about fitting in..........attitude usually means not giving a F$%K

Edgedisciple

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
"After I moved to Hollywood, I was mired in a series of degrading, soul-crushing menial jobs. For a while, I was a professional alphabetizer. Were it not for this album, I would've murdered someone."

Tom Morello on The Joshua Tree, Spin Magazine 2003

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
This says more about Bon Jovi and it's cult of personality around Jon Bon Jovi, than it does about U2, but when Richie Sambora left the band in the middle of a tour and Jon called his bluff by continuing the tour, Jon told the Guardian newspaper that it wasn't like Richie Sambora was the Edge, and the tour couldn't continue without him.

Sambora retorted in the media a few days later that Jon should simply hire the Edge.

I think they worked it out....

Offline Gypsy Heart

• Wanderer
  • Smell The Flowers While You Can ...
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
This says more about Bon Jovi and it's cult of personality around Jon Bon Jovi, than it does about U2, but when Richie Sambora left the band in the middle of a tour and Jon called his bluff by continuing the tour, Jon told the Guardian newspaper that it wasn't like Richie Sambora was the Edge, and the tour couldn't continue without him.

Sambora retorted in the media a few days later that Jon should simply hire the Edge.

I think they worked it out....

BTW, Bon Jovi, and Jon himself, are nothing without Richie...

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
Lars Ulrich (mettalica) I'm like the hugest U2 fan ,I would borderline call myself a groupie !
                                                                                                     November 2010
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:35:50 PM by bondylan »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »

You beat me to it!

Wasn't Harrison actually there that night, watching from the soundboard?

marvgadgie

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
I don't know about that but his comments had been printed in the UK tabloids that week. I was there though! It was great!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »
Can't find the quotes, but I do remember that Weezer said they wished they could be like U2 around ATYCLB in that U2 still had so much passion and energy for the music after that long. I also remember reading an interview where whatsername from Evenesence said she didn't like the countdown to Vertigo.

marvgadgie

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 12:57:30 AM »
I remember John Lydon really slating "One" on a radio review show way back when it first came out. He seemed to absolutely despise the song and the band. Made me laugh as he made a sort of obscene comment through a euphamism on live Radio 1!