Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29324 times)

Offline Buck

• Stateless
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who: George Harrison, Beatles
When: 2001
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

Did he say that in 2001, or was it more like 1997-1998. George Harrison passed away in November 2001. 30 years? Well, its been almost 15 if he said that in 2001 and the record industry and tour industry are still waiting for the next U2 launch of a tour and album.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »
If George Harrison did say that then shame on him for being so uncool .... And so wrong. It's 30 years since war/UF and both are still played on the radio. I haven't heard George Harrison's solo efforts in a while though

Offline New Zooland

• Refugee
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2014, 06:05:53 AM »
If George Harrison did say that then shame on him for being so uncool .... And so wrong. It's 30 years since war/UF and both are still played on the radio. I haven't heard George Harrison's solo efforts in a while though

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum

Offline Buck

• Stateless
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2014, 07:20:59 AM »
Sting said in HOT PRESS interview in 1980 that "Tick Tock" is a f****** awesome song.

Offline bonofan2006

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
The Great Rock groups will be remembered forever! A lot of these bands, singers today are very popular and good , but can they last forever ?  or will they fade away ? As for the great bands of Rock n Roll of the 60's , 70's , 80's and 90's will be remembered forever! There will be no other band like them, because they all stand a lone for there unique music that they played.  ;D

Edgedisciple

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
This is long, but it's worth I think

Who: Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters' drummer
When: 2005, Hot Press interview
What he said:

"To be honest, I'm probably more of an older U2 fan. I was a really huge fan of 'Boy', 'October', 'War' and 'The Unforgettable Fire'. I like their new stuff here and there, but my favourite stuff is really the early, underproduced stuff.
  'Under A Blood Red Sky' was a really big record for me when I was a kid, but there's something about 'Boy', man I love it: the energy, the youthfulness of it and I just love the way they sounded back then.
  With U2 you can't listen to the first four albums in the sun. You can almost only really enjoy then in the winter because they have this darkness to them. You just think of them in the snow with those big overcoats on, all earnest, like in the 'New Years Day' video. By 'Joshua Tree', though, you could listen to them in the sun.
  I met Larry Mullen Jnr when I was real young, at the MTV Awards. I was playing with Alanis Morissette when I was 23. I went up to him and said 'Dude, you were such an influence to me and to so many drummers and I just think you're really great'. He was really nice to me.
  I regret to say I never saw them play back in the day, but I just saw them on this tour and they were really great. I saw them on the 'Achtung Baby' tour and I didn't like that so much. I like some of that record but I don't love all of it, and I wasn't really into the ironic rock star thing they were going for at that time. They were kinda taking the pi*s out of being rock guys and I'm just not really into joke rock. Even though the songs were serious and I definitely like a couple of songs off that record, just the vibe and the huge stage and the cars with lights and sh** on them, I couldn't pay attention to what was going on: it was too much of a multi-media affair
  But when I saw them on this tour, it was a really good, stripped-down rock show. They played 'Electric Co/An Cat Dudh' and that was the highlight of the show for me. I would love to see them in a club, just playing their first three records. I like their new stuff but it's more worldly now."

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »

Who: Liam Gallagher, oasis
When: vertigo era
What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Funny, I could say the same about Oasis.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »

Who: Liam Gallagher, oasis
When: vertigo era
What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Funny, I could say the same about Oasis.
Ha, that's true. I've never met (in person) any really big Oasis fans.

Offline seashells

• Staring at the Sun
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:03 AM »

What he said:

"To be honest, I'm probably more of an older U2 fan. I was a really huge fan of 'Boy', 'October', 'War' and 'The Unforgettable Fire'. I like their new stuff here and there, but my favourite stuff is really the early, underproduced stuff.
  'Under A Blood Red Sky' was a really big record for me when I was a kid, but there's something about 'Boy', man I love it: the energy, the youthfulness of it and I just love the way they sounded back then.
  With U2 you can't listen to the first four albums in the sun. You can almost only really enjoy then in the winter because they have this darkness to them. You just think of them in the snow with those big overcoats on, all earnest, like in the 'New Years Day' video. By 'Joshua Tree', though, you could listen to them in the sun.
  I met Larry Mullen Jnr when I was real young, at the MTV Awards. I was playing with Alanis Morissette when I was 23. I went up to him and said 'Dude, you were such an influence to me and to so many drummers and I just think you're really great'. He was really nice to me.
  I regret to say I never saw them play back in the day, but I just saw them on this tour and they were really great. I saw them on the 'Achtung Baby' tour and I didn't like that so much. I like some of that record but I don't love all of it, and I wasn't really into the ironic rock star thing they were going for at that time. They were kinda taking the pi*s out of being rock guys and I'm just not really into joke rock. Even though the songs were serious and I definitely like a couple of songs off that record, just the vibe and the huge stage and the cars with lights and sh** on them, I couldn't pay attention to what was going on: it was too much of a multi-media affair
  But when I saw them on this tour, it was a really good, stripped-down rock show. They played 'Electric Co/An Cat Dudh' and that was the highlight of the show for me. I would love to see them in a club, just playing their first three records. I like their new stuff but it's more worldly now."

That's a great interview.  Thx for posting.  I love the Foos, but I've never seen them live (does youtube count?).  Maybe U2 should go to a Foo Fighters concert. 

Offline Edgematic

• Wanderer
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »

The fact that he considered Zoo TV to be "joke rock" tells all I need to know insofar as how seriously to take his opinion on U2.

Offline alexsandro

• Babyface
  • Real men don't tweet
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »

What he said:

That's a great interview.  Thx for posting.  I love the Foos, but I've never seen them live (does youtube count?).  Maybe U2 should go to a Foo Fighters concert.

They must have at least seen video of their London Wembley shows, it's where they got the idea for U2 270 "360"

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »
Keith Richards ( Rolling stones ) I like U2 I REALLY do ,I think Bono has something special.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »
Brandon flowers (the killers) on ATYCLB  I was really into it I thought it was an amazing comeback for them, and I was blown away by how many great songs were on that record. There's an earnestness, spirit and soul to U2.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
David Lee Roth ( Van Halen ) Were not trying to save the world ,that's U2's job .

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 08:00:09 AM »
Who: George Harrison, Beatles
When: 2001
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

I've never been a fan of the Beatles, and with an attitude like that, I'm not about to start.

And the fact that pretty much every other rock star quoted is a fan makes Georger Harrison seem extremely arrogant. I was thinking of waiting until I was 64 to listen to the Beatles. It might have to be 94 now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:16:33 AM by Siberian Tiger »