Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29338 times)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who: Liam Gallagher, oasis
When: vertigo era
What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Guess, he has never been to the States.   ::)   U2 has plenty of listeners here.  Their songs get air time and they sell out concerts venues.

I think Liam was just being the d-head he always was, the bad boy rocker. I'm sure he likes U2 as much as any other rock star on here. His comments were tongue in cheek.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:15:18 AM by Siberian Tiger »

Edgedisciple

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »
Who: Liam Gallagher, oasis
When: vertigo era
What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Guess, he has never been to the States.   ::)   U2 has plenty of listeners here.  Their songs get air time and they sell out concerts venues.

I think Liam was just being the d-head he always was, the bad boy rocker. I'm sure he likes U2 as much as any other rock star on here. His comments were tongue in cheek.

Liam Gallagher used to like U2 and maybe he still does. As we know very well, everything that he says should be taken with a grain of salt. In the book "U2 Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song" (great book by the way, a little dispersive in some parts but it's worth to check out) Bono recalls that once Liam came to him singing the bass line of "Seconds" and told him "That's a great groove. It really is!". Noel's admiration for them, on the other hand, has never been a secret.

Offline zooshoes

• Stateless
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
Who: George Harrison, Beatles
When: 2001
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

I've never been a fan of the Beatles, and with an attitude like that, I'm not about to start.

And the fact that pretty much every other rock star quoted is a fan makes Georger Harrison seem extremely arrogant. I was thinking of waiting until I was 64 to listen to the Beatles. It might have to be 94 now.

You wouldn't listen to The Beatles because George Harrison once said something you didn't like about U2? Geez. You know the comment was about U2 and not you, right?

Offline New Zooland

• Refugee
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

I've never been a fan of the Beatles, and with an attitude like that, I'm not about to start.

And the fact that pretty much every other rock star quoted is a fan makes Georger Harrison seem extremely arrogant. I was thinking of waiting until I was 64 to listen to the Beatles. It might have to be 94 now.

Good idea. Best to just listen to U2 to be on the safe side. Mind you U2 seem to have played and recorded many Beatles songs. Perhaps they've been corrupted by the late Mr Harrison's " attitude"? Is anything good and wholesome anymore? Isn't it a pity.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »

You wouldn't listen to The Beatles because George Harrison once said something you didn't like about U2? Geez. You know the comment was about U2 and not you, right?

Nah, I have always refused to listen to the most over rated musical act on the planet. I have heard enough of their songs in the mainstream and they have never appealed to me. I know what I am missing. ;) That was already my decision, George Harrison didn't help anything. 
(It's a bit like Kramer refusing to wear an AIDS ribbon even when he was on the AIDS walk. I refuse to listen to The Beatles even if everyone thinks they are cool. Because I can. :)  )

P.S Your sarcasm doesn't help anything, of course I know the comment was not about me. What prompts you to speak that way to me? I haven't been here in quite a while, and pretty quickly people are being rude again. "Geez."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:36:18 AM by Siberian Tiger »

surit87

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2014, 04:45:26 AM »
David Bowie (after the release of Zooropa): "U2 might be all shamrocks and deutsche marks to some, but I feel that they are one of the few rock bands even attempting to hint at a world which will continue past the next great wall—the year 2000."

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2014, 05:13:47 AM »
David Bowie (after the release of Zooropa): "U2 might be all shamrocks and deutsche marks to some, but I feel that they are one of the few rock bands even attempting to hint at a world which will continue past the next great wall—the year 2000."

That's interesting, not heard a Bowie quote on U2 before. Any positive thing Bowie has to say about them cancels out a lifetime of insults by other certain singers.

surit87

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2014, 05:33:35 AM »

That's interesting, not heard a Bowie quote on U2 before. Any positive thing Bowie has to say about them cancels out a lifetime of insults by other certain singers.

Yep, Bowie's quote certainly rang true at that time, U2, in the 90s, were adventurous and in-your-face. Sadly, today, they want to blend into the mainstream rather than 'f**k it up'.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:47 AM »
Dave Grohl on when he saw U2 during Elevation Tour

It's cool that he liked the show, but it seems also that he might have some reserves on judging by the way that he talks of them, as if he considers them laughable...

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »

It's cool that he liked the show, but it seems also that he might have some reserves on judging by the way that he talks of them, as if he considers them laughable...

Dave was hesitant to admit he was/is a U2 fan, or even a fan of just that show.  For many, many people, U2 are the epitome of uncool.  It is what it is.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Meanwhile, he's an open KI$$ fan. I love you, Dave, but man...

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

Now that's true. :D I think the quote was mentioned in U2 At The End of the World. It said that Bowie wrote a whole article on Zooropa and Zoo TV, which I would love to read if it's available anywhere. It'd be very interesting to hear what he thought of it all...

PS- I love your new avi, Fist-O.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »

Dave was hesitant to admit he was/is a U2 fan, or even a fan of just that show.  For many, many people, U2 are the epitome of uncool.  It is what it is.

I've found something else:

Dave Grohl, 2000
From a radio interview
"Y'know recently I had a Sunday at home where I was fixing breakfast and I put on the new U2 record. It was quite nice, flipping my eggs, it was a beautiful day man."

Here's an audio of them attempting to cover Beautiful Day during a soundcheck, it's not fake even if it might seems like it is.

Pretty sure that he likes them at least a little bit!

surit87

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:31 PM »

PS- I love your new avi, Fist-O.

Thanks, I painted it myself.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »

Good idea. Best to just listen to U2 to be on the safe side. Mind you U2 seem to have played and recorded many Beatles songs. Perhaps they've been corrupted by the late Mr Harrison's " attitude"? Is anything good and wholesome anymore? Isn't it a pity.

I'm really enjoying Linkin Park's new material and waiting for their new album. I'm enjoying the new Coldplay too. I have been on a personal U2 boycott / hiatus for two months now. I will not listen to anything of theirs until the bring out a new album.

As for the Beatles, never.