Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29465 times)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

PS- I love your new avi, Fist-O.

Thanks, I painted it myself.
Ooh, nice painting skills then. I painted MacPhisto once too, but it didn't turn out very well.

Offline New Zooland

• Refugee
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
Who: George Harrison, Beatles
When: 2001
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

I've never been a fan of the Beatles, and with an attitude like that, I'm not about to start.

And the fact that pretty much every other rock star quoted is a fan makes Georger Harrison seem extremely arrogant. I was thinking of waiting until I was 64 to listen to the Beatles. It might have to be 94 now.

Good idea. Best to just listen to U2 to be on the safe side. Mind you U2 seem to have played and recorded many Beatles songs. Perhaps they've been corrupted by the late Mr Harrison's " attitude"? Is anything good and wholesome anymore? Isn't it a pity.

I'm really enjoying Linkin Park's new material and waiting for their new album. I'm enjoying the new Coldplay too. I have been on a personal U2 boycott / hiatus for two months now. I will not listen to anything of theirs until the bring out a new album.

As for the Beatles, never.

Fair enough. How about the Rutles?

surit87

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:07 AM »

PS- I love your new avi, Fist-O.

Thanks, I painted it myself.
Ooh, nice painting skills then. I painted MacPhisto once too, but it didn't turn out very well.

Practice... always practice... BTW I'm no Kelly Eddington though. ;)

Offline Edgematic

• Wanderer
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

I've never been a fan of the Beatles, and with an attitude like that, I'm not about to start.

And the fact that pretty much every other rock star quoted is a fan makes Georger Harrison seem extremely arrogant. I was thinking of waiting until I was 64 to listen to the Beatles. It might have to be 94 now.

Good idea. Best to just listen to U2 to be on the safe side. Mind you U2 seem to have played and recorded many Beatles songs. Perhaps they've been corrupted by the late Mr Harrison's " attitude"? Is anything good and wholesome anymore? Isn't it a pity.

I'm really enjoying Linkin Park's new material and waiting for their new album. I'm enjoying the new Coldplay too. I have been on a personal U2 boycott / hiatus for two months now. I will not listen to anything of theirs until the bring out a new album.

You'll listen to Linkin Park and Coldplay, but not The Beatles, because The Beatles are overrated.

Ok.

surit87

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
Didn't Paul McCartney perform with U2 at Live8? Also Sean Lennon seems to have a good friendly relation with U2.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2014, 06:03:34 AM »
Didn't Paul McCartney perform with U2 at Live8? Also Sean Lennon seems to have a good friendly relation with U2.

Yes, McCartney is a friend of theirs and has nothing but respect for them as artists. I dont know about Sean, but Lennon's other son Julian is a close friend of Bono.

surit87

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2014, 06:18:04 AM »

Yes, McCartney is a friend of theirs and has nothing but respect for them as artists. I dont know about Sean, but Lennon's other son Julian is a close friend of Bono.

Sorry, I meant Julian not Sean.

smee

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »
Speaking of Paul McCartney.....i remember reading/hearing an interview with him about Live Aid. He was listening into the live radio broadcast, in the car....on the way to perform at the show....when he said U2 came on.....and he said something along the lines of how u2s performance was a highlight of the day

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2014, 07:43:29 AM »
It's funny to look up Freddie Mercurys interactions with Bono at Live Aid

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »

You'll listen to Linkin Park and Coldplay, but not The Beatles, because The Beatles are overrated.

Ok.

Yep, ok.

Try King's X, they are a band with plenty of talent. I like lots of music. In fact I will listen to almost anything.

I just choose to boycott the Beatles.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »

Ok.

Yep, ok.

Try King's X, they are a band with plenty of talent. I like lots of music. In fact I will listen to almost anything.

I just choose to boycott the Beatles.
i tend to agree about the beatles in that they seem to have this untouchable perch at the top in some peoples opinion and its almost insane to some people if u say anything bad about them..for my part i love the beatles but prefer u2

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Everyone has different musical tastes, but choosing to not listen to the Beatles out of spite because of their high place in popular culture is an odd way to rebel.

Maybe only Canadians will get this, but it reminds me of my initial reactions to all the Mott's Clamato TV ads. I thought they were so stupid, I decided that there's no way people liked caesars that much. Because I had never had one. About a year ago I had one.

Now I'm hooked on them. I still think the ads are pretty dumb (like most ads) but that doesn't stop them from being delicious.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
Oh yeah! That's a great tidbit from U2 By U2 when Bono talks about his Live Aid experience.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »
Oh yeah! That's a great tidbit from U2 By U2 when Bono talks about his Live Aid experience.
I think Freddie was trying to hump him!

surit87

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2014, 12:54:55 AM »
Foo Fighter's Taylor Hawkins hates Discotheque.