Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29713 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Other rock stars views of U2
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:25 AM »
Not sure if this thread exists, if not, feel free to merge, but it thought it'd be interesting to see the kaleidoscope of views other rock stars have of U2, good or bad

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
Who: George Harrison, Beatles
When: 2001
What he said: "Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money. Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. The Beatles had a value which will last forever". Will we remember U2 in 30 years?  I doubt it

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:13:51 AM »
Who: Bob Dylan
When: 1988
What he said: Quote:
Bob Dylan: Yeah, U2 will probably be around years from now. ...I like U2 a lot, but, well, U2 are actually pretty original. But they're Irish; they're Celtic -- they've got _that_ thing goin'. You've gotta get away from America in order to make anything stick. America will just bombard you with too much sh**...

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
Who: Chris Martin, Coldplay
When: 2005
What he said: I don't buy weekend tickets to Ireland and hang out in front of their gates, but U2 are the only band whose entire catalog I know by heart. The first song on The Unforgettable Fire, "A Sort of Homecoming," I know backward and forward it's so rousing, brilliant and beautiful. It's one of the first songs I played to my unborn baby.

The first U2 album I ever heard was Achtung Baby. It was 1991, and I was 14 years old. Before that, I didn't even know what albums were. From that point, I worked backward every six months, I'd get to buy a new U2 album. The sound they pioneered the driving bass and drums underneath and those ethereal, effects-laden guitar tracks floating out from above was nothing that had been heard before. They may be the only good anthemic rock band ever. Certainly they're the best.

What I love most about U2 is that the band is more important than any of its songs or albums. I love that they're still best mates and that they each play an integral role in one another's lives as friends. I love the way that they're not interchangeable if Larry Mullen Jr. wants to go scuba diving for a week, the rest of the band can't do a thing. U2 like Coldplay maintain that all songs that appear on their albums are credited to the band. And they are the only band that's been around for more than 30 years with no member changes and no big splits.

It's amazing that the biggest band in the world has so much integrity and passion in its music. Our society is thoroughly screwed, fame is a ridiculous waste of time, and celebrity culture is disgusting. There are only a few people around brave enough to talk out against it, who use their fame in a good way. And every time I try, I feel like an idiot, because I see Bono actually getting things achieved. While everyone else was swearing at George Bush, Bono was the one who rubbed Bush's back and got a billion dollars for Africa. People can be so cynical they don't like do-gooders but Bono's attitude is, "I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm going to speak out." He's accomplished so much with Greenpeace, in Sarajevo, at the concert to shut down the Sellafield nuclear plant, and he still runs the gantlet. When the time came for Coldplay to think about fair trade, we took his lead to speak out regardless of what anyone may think. That's what we've learned from U2: You have to be brave enough to be yourself

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »
Who: Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin
When: 1980s
What he said: U2 is the only true successor to Led Zepoelin as theirs is the only music as dramatic.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:48 AM »
Who: Liam Gallagher, oasis
When: vertigo era
What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:29:16 AM »
I've heard Noel Gallagher , Sammy Hagar,Chris Martin, Tom Smith,Fran Healey,Shirley Manson, moby,Elvis Costello,Pete Turner,James Walsh,Bob Dylan ,Mick Jagger,Ron Wood, BB king, Tom Morrello, Bruce Springsteen,Willie Nelson ,Roy Orbison ,Lou Reed,Paul McCartney, to name a few praise U2 in one form or another .

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
Who : Noel Gallagher, oasis
When: 2000s
What he said: I've always loved U2 even when everyone in my circle not just didn't get it but hated them, I've always fought their corner. I love the Joshua tree, I even love rattle and hum, I lined up at Piccadilly Circus and bought it on cassette,  I loved it then and I love it now. Then they followed David Bowie snd iggy pop to Berlin and dismantled it sll and that was really inspiring

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
Kurt cobain, nirvana 1993

ok, when I see U2 or Rush or Prince or Iggy Pop or whoever, I feel lost, traumatised by this singular, fascistic vision of rock.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:49:36 AM »
Freddie mercury, queen, at live aid: Is it Bohno, or BonO?  .... Anyway we decided we like you
Brian May, guitarist, queen: your guitarist, the hedge, is something

Offline New Zooland

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 03:26:14 AM »
Neil Finn, 2001

"There are bands that have a long life. I was very interested in the new U2 album from that point view, "Can they do it again? Can they reinvent themselves?" I think they did it brilliantly on Achtung Baby, and I have great admiration and respect for them generally. I think they've handled their career in a wonderful way. But I'm not a big fan of the new record because it feels to me it's kind of safe in way - and also strangely pop for them. I only mention them because they have lasted the longest time at that high level and have managed to keep a nose in front of the opposition."

marvgadgie

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:23 AM »
I remember Noel Gallagher saying something around the Elevation tour that he'd seen U2 and "doesn't it make you sick, just how bloody good they are". He intimated that live, they were a band he would love to be able to emulate ...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
Neil finn gets it.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
Jim Kerr, simple Minds, 2001:
Well, they're on a different planet. I just can't be objective. They're such good guys. Such kind people, generous people. They work their socks off. I know many fans will know that, unfortunately, last week Bono's father passed away and that would take the wind out of anyone's sails. But he was - the energy was immense

Offline Gypsy Heart

• Wanderer
  • Smell The Flowers While You Can ...
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
I do find all these opinions really interesting. But most of them where uttered more than 10 years ago. By that time, U2 were actually the best band in the whole universe, you could say they have the audience wrapped around their finger.
What I would love is to read/listen to some other points of view from the Vertigo era until now, this year. At any rate, whatever that Gallagher thinks about U2, I just don't care. He's disgusting, to say the least, I never liked him at all, I won't take his comments, taking into account they are coming from an insanity virtuoso.