Author Topic: Other rock stars views of U2  (Read 29508 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: Other rock stars views of U2
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 04:25:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember John Lydon really slating "One" on a radio review show way back when it first came out. He seemed to absolutely despise the song and the band. Made me laugh as he made a sort of obscene comment through a euphamism on live Radio 1!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  U2 bit at 5:30
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:27:59 AM by kango »

marvgadgie

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 05:52:55 AM »
Yes. That is exactly the one!

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 03:10:10 AM »
I recall Elvis Costello saying he waited in line to buy The Joshua Tree and then saying he went home and played it on repeat because it was so fantastic. 

smee

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 06:07:57 AM »
I recall Elvis Costello saying he waited in line, at midnight, to buy The Joshua Tree and then saying he went home and played it on repeat because it was so fantastic.
Fixed it for ya ;)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
HAHAHAHHA.............. good memories
Not that I want a giant peach and a Burger King logo across the stage on the next tour, but where is THAT U2???? The one with ATTITUDE!
That's crazy to read, especially since I'd assume Bono & U2 have nothing but respect for George Harrison and other ex-Beatles... PopMart was truly an out-of-character moment.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
HAHAHAHHA.............. good memories
Not that I want a giant peach and a Burger King logo across the stage on the next tour, but where is THAT U2???? The one with ATTITUDE!
That's crazy to read, especially since I'd assume Bono & U2 have nothing but respect for George Harrison and other ex-Beatles... PopMart was truly an out-of-character moment.

It was dead cool - harrison had a pop, bono gave it the answer, but for me it was delivered with a playful swagger. U2 have often been too fawning over others. The swagger and playfulness of them back then is something i miss.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
Liam was always a wanna be IanMcculloch with a big mouth spewing a bunch of CRAP just
for shock value, even the way he stands on stage is all Ian ,then he even ruined his voice with cigarettes and alcohol just like his idol Ian. It was Noel who made Oasis.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:13:23 AM by bondylan »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »
Miles Davis was apparently obsessed with The Unforgettable Fire before his death.....

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 08:16:15 AM »
Who: Bruce Springsteen
When: Vertigo era
What he said: It was the early '80s. I went with Pete Townshend, who always wanted to catch the first whiff of those about to unseat us, to a club in London. There they were: A young Bono -- single-handedly pioneering the Irish mullet; the Edge -- what kind of name was that?; Adam and Larry. I was listening to the last band of whom I would be able to name all of its members. They had an exciting show and a big, beautiful sound. They lifted the roof.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
I recall Elvis Costello saying he waited in line to buy The Joshua Tree and then saying he went home and played it on repeat because it was so fantastic. 

I remember Darius Rucker saying something similar. He said he didn't want anyone to play it for him because he wanted to go out and buy it first without hearing any of it. Seems a lot of stars had similar Joshua Tree experiences when it was first released.:)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
Who: Liam Gallagher, oasis
When: vertigo era
What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.

Guess, he has never been to the States.   ::)   U2 has plenty of listeners here.  Their songs get air time and they sell out concerts venues.

smee

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »

What he said: I have never seen a U2 fan. I have never seen anyone with a U2 shirt or been around someone's house that has a f---ing U2 record. Where do their fans f---ing come from? Where are they? I reckon they buy them. With all the money they've made, they just bought a load of people and every time they do a gig they get a shovel and pile them into their gigs to make them look good.
Yet, his own brother is a big fan of u2!!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
europe too. U2 is just the biggest band of the last 30 years, and they keep making new music that people listen to. Therefore, lots of people want to see them fail......

Guess, he has never been to the States.   ::)   U2 has plenty of listeners here.  Their songs get air time and they sell out concerts venues.

meximofo

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Liam is a jerk (putting it mildly), but he's right on this one. In my everyday life I never knew another hardcore U2 fan (I've only heard of the mythical "friend of a friend") in my hometown in Mexico, not even here in the U.S., and I've been here 5 years now. I don't see U2 stickers on cars, I don't see people wearing their T-shirts, and less of all I don't  hear people talking about U2 at parties or bars. I know many fans of the hit songs (BD, WOWY, etc.), but that's it. Of course, when U2 hits our city then all of a sudden we all come out from our caverns and tickets sell out in minutes. Strange, huh? Last time U2 were in Mexico City, even the President turned out to be a "closeted U2 fan" and went to the 360. I'm pretty sure he only knows the hits, though.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2014, 07:06:35 AM »
That is because, as we've discussed in the past, U2 are not 'cool'.