Poll

Would this be a better schedule for U2?

Yes
1 (5.3%)
No
18 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Would this be a better schedule for U2?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline bono55

• Babyface
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »

2015 - album release and 60 date tour
2016 - writing new songs
2017 - record new album
2018 - album release and 60 date tour
2019 - writing new songs
2020 - record new album
2021 - album release and 60 date tour
2022 - writing new songs
2023 - record new album
2024 - album release and 60 date tour
2025 - writing new songs
2026 - recording new album
2027 - album release and 60 date tour
2028 - writing new songs
2029 - recording new album
2030 - album release and 60 date tour

The sacrifice with this tour is obviously the cutting down the size of the world tours from 100 to 120 shows to just 60 shows to be finished in the year the album is released. It would mean some tours would have to skip certain cities and regions, cities and regions they would get back to on the next tour by skipping previous cities and regions from the prior tour. Perhaps the tour could be extended to the normal 100 shows given that the band did 113 shows on the Elevation tour from March 24, 2001 through December 2, 2001. But that tour was very logistically easy because it was in arena's and only visited North America and Europe.

As for the albums and writing songs, stick with a schedule and learn to abandon things when the time is up. Be willing to use a few songs that are considered filler or b-sides in order to complete the album. Quality is in the eye of the beholder and many people consider past U2 b-sides to be better than some album tracks.

With such a schedule, U2 could release 6 new albums and tour 6 times by 2030. I think such a schedule provides plenty of time off for other things as well as recording and writing new material. What do you think?

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
Re: Would this be a better schedule for U2?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
I think you need to step away from the keyboard.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think you need to step away from the keyboard.

I have to agree

Offline bono55

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »
Look at the thread title and respond on topic and appropriately please.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
A better schedule than what?

Without anything to compare it to i can't decide.

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
As much as I love these guys, I think suggesting that they'll be touring and recording by 2030 is very optimistic. I would be happy with with two more albums and tours between now and 2020. They'll be starting to turn 60 then. I honestly expect they'll retire by then, if not sooner.

Offline bono55

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
As much as I love these guys, I think suggesting that they'll be touring and recording by 2030 is very optimistic. I would be happy with with two more albums and tours between now and 2020. They'll be starting to turn 60 then. I honestly expect they'll retire by then, if not sooner.

People retire because they don't enjoy their work and have enough money to stop working or for health issues. U2 is healthy and provided they remain that way, they lover their work, which means there is no reason to retire. Prior to the 20th century, there was actually really no such thing as retirement.

A better schedule than the one they have been on the past 20 years.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:44:23 PM by bono55 »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bono55

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is a U2 forum and a thread about U2. Would you mind keeping it to that?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »

People retire because they don't enjoy their work and have enough money to stop working or for health issues. U2 is healthy and provided they remain that way, they lover their work, which means there is no reason to retire. Prior to the 20th century, there was actually really no such thing as retirement.

How do we know they truly love their work anymore? They seem to love many other things like time off, vacations, Broadway plays, acting, real estate planning, etc...

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »
A huge workload which is never gonna happen if they achieve quarter of this then I'll be very content

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »

Ah i see.

I'd actually like to see u2 cut right back on touring and focus on recorded work in the twilight of their careers.

Sadly touring is where the big money is and u2 are unlikely to not go after that as much as possible.

The album followed by mega tour followed by time off is likely to be the pattern over the next decade for my money.

As for your schedule - i can see what you are getting at but to me its too robotic

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »

:P

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »

Haha, that was such a good movie! You know what else was a good movie? Spaceballs.

Offline bono55

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »

How do we know they truly love their work anymore? They seem to love many other things like time off, vacations, Broadway plays, acting, real estate planning, etc...

Look at the schedule I posted above. There is plenty of time for vacations, Broadway plays, acting, strip clubs, go go dancing, streaking, real estate planning etc. Plus going on tour in some sense is a vacation given all the places they get to visit, things to see, etc.

As for tour money, the band can make massive amounts of money from playing a full 60 to 70 date tour every third year. I'd say with the schedule above, they get to have it all.

Its also the schedule that Coldplay have roughly followed since 2002.