Author Topic: Should U2 go at least 25% unplugged on the next tour?  (Read 3756 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: Should U2 go at least 25% unplugged on the next tour?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No unplugging. Hands off the plugs. Leave them be. The thing that stands out about this band is the Edge's full bodied, echoing guitar bliss and when it's acoustic, that gets lost to a degree.

I think it's still a couple of months from hitting the market, but I'd be amazed if Edge isn't already having this device installed on some of his acoustic guitars:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

...it's an effects unit that drives the audio signal back into the guitar body itself  instead of sending it into an amp. Basically, it uses the wooden back of the guitar as a "speaker."

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
Re edge on piano... He's just not that good on the keys to make it work in my opinion.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 06:06:57 AM »
Surprised at the number of folk not keen on acoustic. I loved the acoustic sets during the Elevation tour, for me was a highlight of the whole tour.

Seeing as it is in smaller venues a half half show would be brilliant. I remember Neil Young did something like this , acoustic show, short break, then electric show.

I think Adam has said something like this about having two different shows....

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
No. This is NOT U2's strong suit. There's a reason they are the biggest band to never play Unplugged. 1-2 or Bono and Edge moments are plenty, and personally, I would rather hear Stay full-band.

Offline cedarwood

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
I like a brief acoustic set. It breaks things up. The vocal harmony and interaction between bono and edge has a completely different energy when there's not as much going on sonically. The vocals take center stage for a moment.

Aren't a lot of these an excuse to get Larry out front btw? I kind of like to see the lad once a show.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 05:41:46 AM »
U2 also like to do something sifferent with their tours. I'm imagining something like the Zoo TV b stage with the crowd around them for an acoustic set.
Then the other half electric.
In terms of the crowd interaction it isn't really going to make much difference whether it is electric or acoustic, the vast majority of folks tend to stand like zombies these days, the good old days of bedlam in the GA are long gone.  Would recommend watching Streets on the old World in Action documentary from the Joshua Tree Tour. Incredible !

Offline jpodrug

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
Running to stand still is THE only song I love to hear The Edge on piano. And that is my single pick for accoustic U2. Otherwise, plug it in and play The ground beneath her feet <3

Offline EvryPoetisAthief

• Stateless
  • Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
I'm a huge fan of acoustic and would love seeing some acoustic numbers on this tour especially if they are doing arena venues. Being from NYC The MSG shows would be great hearing acoustic songs. Someone mentioned Edge not being so proficient on the piano but after hearing EBW done unplugged I beg to differ. It's not complex but it carries a huge punch. Sometimes less is more. I'd love to hear this song done unplugged as I feel that's the best song on the acoustic sessions. I still love Stay done acoustically even though we have heard it hundreds of times.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
I'd like to see them play full band-electric songs.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »
No. No. No. I want more not less. A string section when needed. Keyboard player on stage. Horns when needed. Second guitar when needed.