Author Topic: What do you think is going on with U2?  (Read 8774 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
What do you think is going on with U2?
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
The silence at the moment is rather telling, the band have been quiet, far too quiet. But why? What's it down to?
I'm thinking back a year to this as I write:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The band looked fresh and ready for a new era. Was an album complete at this point? I think so. I think it's stored and ready to go and it is likely the band hit such a streak of good material that they simply kept going and going and going. I realise a whole year has passed and the longer the wait goes on the more less likely that is. But are we on a verge of a double release or does it run deeper than that?

Are the band having problems? Doubts? Does the new manager work? Lots of questions but so few answers. I remain optimistic but the wait is becoming pretty unbearable. What is happening with our band?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: What do you think is going on with U2?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
I think that the material they have is either subpar in their own estimation, or they fear it will be in ours.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »
Great story. Would read again.

...that was fan fiction right?

Offline Buck

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
The band are recording the new album which should be done by the end of the year. Its only been 3 years since the end of he last tour. Were at about the same point the band were in October 1996 before the release of POP. It had been nearly 3 years then since the end of the ZOO TV tour.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »
The band are recording the new album which should be done by the end of the year. Its only been 3 years since the end of he last tour. Were at about the same point the band were in October 1996 before the release of POP. It had been nearly 3 years then since the end of the ZOO TV tour.

Great point.  And even then, at the release of Pop, they still felt the album wasn't really finished.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »
They're probably having a crisis of faith: lack of faith in their new material & probably a lack of faith in themselves.
 ::) ::)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
I'm glad you pointed that out because I keep seeing "Five years since NLOTH!" But of course, they had a tour and they weren't recording immediately after they released NLOTH. So it seems just the right time by now.

Offline popromancer

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »
true, but let's not forgot they released the passengers album and were involved in other projects like the goldeneye single for tina turner, hmtmkmkm and claytons/mullens theme from mi.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
I think that the material they have is either subpar in their own estimation, or they fear it will be in ours.

I guess I can't blame them for being nervous about releasing something. If I were the band and looked this forum I'd be disheartened too. People complain about the new albums, complain about the tours, complain about the band, complain about prices, and on and on. At this point I think there are some fans who are determined to hate whatever the band releases so they can claim that they were fans during the "glory days".

I don't begrudge anyone their opinion but I get the sense that some fans just want to rag on the band for anything they release. At this stage they really can't win.

Offline 2_Shots_Of_Lemon

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Banks they're like cathedrals...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:07:47 AM »
true, but let's not forgot they released the passengers album and were involved in other projects like the goldeneye single for tina turner, hmtmkmkm and claytons/mullens theme from mi.
Well, recently they've worked on "Spider-Man ~ Turn Off The Dark", Ordinary Love, Invisible, ect.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
At this point I think there are some fans who are determined to hate whatever the band releases....

I don't begrudge anyone their opinion....

Having a hard time reconciling these two statements.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »

I guess I can't blame them for being nervous about releasing something. If I were the band and looked this forum I'd be disheartened too. People complain about the new albums, complain about the tours, complain about the band, complain about prices, and on and on. At this point I think there are some fans who are determined to hate whatever the band releases so they can claim that they were fans during the "glory days".

I don't begrudge anyone their opinion but I get the sense that some fans just want to rag on the band for anything they release. At this stage they really can't win.

Worth remembering that u2 have set the bar very high and that bar is one they have to jump themselves too.

All about opinion, and people's differ - people who are critical are critical because they are unhappy or disappointed with things.

I never read people questioning people's motives or complaining about posts that are praising the band, only those who are critical (and the criticism is by and large delivered constructively and because people care) seem to be questioned/ criticised.

People who are fans don't have to love everything they do and they have the right to their opinion as much as those who do.

That is the beauty of opinions and discussion and therefore forums - would be very dull if every post and everybody was just full of gushing praise for the band.

For the record I love u2 they have made the records I love most and given me the best live experiences, I am however massively disappointed in most of their work since Pop.

I remain hopeful that they will wow me again though

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
I'm all for criticism when it is justifiable and U2 like all bands have dropped the ball here and there but when you read stuff like U2's post punk stuff was weak and there JT phase was too American ,00's U2 was terrible,Larry can't use electronic drums, makes me wonder if some fans are just stuck in the 90's ,sure some of that was great but so are their other incarnations.
Let's face it the 90's U2 is done it ended with POP its never coming back. They may record something that reminds you of that era but they will never totally go back to it.
 Some claim 00's U2 went back to their 80's sound but I strongly disagree, there may be similar sonics but that's it. 80's U2 had more energy and gritt while 00s U2 was more polished and refined.U2 is band that can never repeat themselves they grow mature and move on.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:49:36 PM by bondylan »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
Going back to the sound is not important. Going back to the riskier approach, experimenting with stuff that keeps them interested rather than bash out stand up comedy, I'll go crazy or stuck in a moment type contrived crap, and ceasing to care as much about what sort of radio play they'd get.

The stuff that has historically produced - unforgettable fire, Achtung, zooropa and pop - and in parts no line - is what I'm longing for.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
I noticed you've left JT off your list.Why? Because of its commercial success,Radio airplay?
Well It all happened by accident their was nothing commercial about it when it was released it
was just a further extension of TUF and the masses just happened to go nuts and rightly so.

Stuck in a moment is a great song (cmon it was for a fellow Aussie as yourself it's great)
Stand up comedy was influenced by Edges time with Jimmy Page and Larry's admiration for John Bonham,sounds like their having fun to me.
I'll go Crazy is a brilliantly crafted song (IMHO)
Do I think they should have been included on NLOTH? No! But contrived CRAP they are not.
I think they are currently challenged by and experimenting with songwriting rather than tinkering with sonics like the 90's. And their taking a risk in that it will be successfully received.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:16:34 PM by bondylan »