Author Topic: What do you think is going on with U2?  (Read 8773 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Re: What do you think is going on with U2?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At this point I think there are some fans who are determined to hate whatever the band releases....

I don't begrudge anyone their opinion....

Having a hard time reconciling these two statements.

I really don't mind people having opinions. I do question why some remain so critical of the band and yet continue to follow them. Perhaps that's a better way to phrase it. Constructive criticism is a good thing but non-stop complaining makes me question what their true motives are.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »

Worth remembering that u2 have set the bar very high and that bar is one they have to jump themselves too.

All about opinion, and people's differ - people who are critical are critical because they are unhappy or disappointed with things.

I never read people questioning people's motives or complaining about posts that are praising the band, only those who are critical (and the criticism is by and large delivered constructively and because people care) seem to be questioned/ criticised.

People who are fans don't have to love everything they do and they have the right to their opinion as much as those who do.

That is the beauty of opinions and discussion and therefore forums - would be very dull if every post and everybody was just full of gushing praise for the band.

For the record I love u2 they have made the records I love most and given me the best live experiences, I am however massively disappointed in most of their work since Pop.

I remain hopeful that they will wow me again though

That's a fair statement. I guess sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between those who still hold U2 in high regard in spite of recent disappoints and those who are just unhappy that the band has moved on from their earlier sounds and tours.

meximofo

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
At this point I think there are some fans who are determined to hate whatever the band releases....

I really don't mind people having opinions. I do question why some remain so critical of the band and yet continue to follow them. Perhaps that's a better way to phrase it. Constructive criticism is a good thing but non-stop complaining makes me question what their true motives are.

I hear you man. I fear that, with this new album, people are already predisposed to hate it, no matter how good it is. Some of them have been doing it with all the material from the '00s. I mean, people are inferring that the band dislikes their own new material or worse out of what? Silence? Edge's goatee?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »
I noticed you've left JT off your list.Why? Because of its commercial success,Radio airplay?
Well It all happened by accident their was nothing commercial about it when it was released it
was just a further extension of TUF and the masses just happened to go nuts and rightly so.

Stuck in a moment is a great song (cmon it was for a fellow Aussie as yourself it's great)
Stand up comedy was influenced by Edges time with Jimmy Page and Larry's admiration for John Bonham,sounds like their having fun to me.
I'll go Crazy is a brilliantly crafted song (IMHO)
Do I think they should have been included on NLOTH? No! But contrived CRAP they are not.
I think they are currently challenged by and experimenting with songwriting rather than tinkering with sonics like the 90's. And their taking a risk in that it will be successfully received.

You really do get quite upset about people not liking things... ;)

I like the joshua tree, of course, but it's down my list. As you said it was a continuation of some sonic experimentation that started with TUF, so personally that album has always been my favourite. It's just the way it is.

We'll disagree on what constitutes contrived crap, I've put up my examples, considered your points, and stand by my initial assessment. 

In my opinion they care far too much about how their albums are 'received'. It's evident in the constant talk of 'relevance'.

I hope the new album, when it comes out in 2026, is great. I also hope I never hear stuck in a moment again.

Irrelevant petty grammar nazi mode time: there, their and they're. English is a p**** of a language.  ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 01:21:48 AM »

I hear you man. I fear that, with this new album, people are already predisposed to hate it, no matter how good it is. Some of them have been doing it with all the material from the '00s. I mean, people are inferring that the band dislikes their own new material or worse out of what? Silence? Edge's goatee?

There may be people here like you describe, but I am certainly not one of them. Go back and read the forum archives from when NLOTH was brand new. No one was trying harder to love it than I was (and I do think it sits solidly in the middle of their catalogue -- no small feat).

But U2 kind of gives us no choice but to be skeptical sometimes. The way they carry themselves now, with all Bono's hand-wringing about being popular, does not bode well for daring music in the future.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
I think what's going on with U2 now is that their label has lost their belief in the band. They don't want to take a risk on them anymore and don't want to pay the big amount of money that a promotional campaign for a band this big would account to. U2 are not their big money maker anymore and likely won't be. So the label rejects anything and everything they bring forth, psychologically feeding the band's own doubts in their new material with the goal of letting their current contract run out without a new release. U2 will persevere, though, but they are under contract now, and if the label has other priorities, that's tough luck. P McG had the foresight to notice this and exited his post as manager into a timely retirement. Usually, at this point in a career of a band this big, a greatest hits comp gets released. U2 have already released 3 of them, one after every of their 3 last albums before NLOTH. They cannot release "Best Of 2000-2010" because they just haven't had enough hits during this era. Hence, the band must look for other ways to make money, such as endorsement deals (board of directors for a guitar company sounds bigger, more like a financial investment, doesn't it) or film scores or Broadway musical productions where somebody else pays the bills.

It's sad that even a band as big as U2 can run into label trouble in the 2nd half of their career.

Again, this is just what I think has been happening. The label want to transform them into a catalogue artist because they can market a catalogue artist much better than somebody who still adds unexpected things to their catalogue.

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 02:48:45 AM »
Nah, Dali the band was lazy and/or uninspired and they took so much time making the record they just missed the window with it and have to re-engineer the material for a new era :-) It's easy wasting your creative opportunities...

A quote from the Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe (SP vol.5) comic book to help illustrate my point:

"Sandra: A whole generation of bands have come and gone since you guys opened for the Demonheads in '05!
  Scott: That was this May!"

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
I think what's going on with U2 now is that their label has lost their belief in the band. They don't want to take a risk on them anymore and don't want to pay the big amount of money that a promotional campaign for a band this big would account to. U2 are not their big money maker anymore and likely won't be. So the label rejects anything and everything they bring forth, psychologically feeding the band's own doubts in their new material with the goal of letting their current contract run out without a new release. U2 will persevere, though, but they are under contract now, and if the label has other priorities, that's tough luck. P McG had the foresight to notice this and exited his post as manager into a timely retirement. Usually, at this point in a career of a band this big, a greatest hits comp gets released. U2 have already released 3 of them, one after every of their 3 last albums before NLOTH. They cannot release "Best Of 2000-2010" because they just haven't had enough hits during this era. Hence, the band must look for other ways to make money, such as endorsement deals (board of directors for a guitar company sounds bigger, more like a financial investment, doesn't it) or film scores or Broadway musical productions where somebody else pays the bills.

It's sad that even a band as big as U2 can run into label trouble in the 2nd half of their career.

Again, this is just what I think has been happening. The label want to transform them into a catalogue artist because they can market a catalogue artist much better than somebody who still adds unexpected things to their catalogue.

I disagree with you. U2 is probably the only band out there that can still move well over a million units just based on their massive fan base alone, and that's without any marketing. What record company wouldn't want an album that would basically be guaranteed to be in the top 10 sellers for that year? Also, an artist with U2's stature would have complete artistic control on what songs end up on the album. McGuinness would have insisted on that years (decades) ago. I'm sure when Zooropa was relaeased the label was probably hoping for a more commercial album and something that sounded like a hit single, but it's U2's choice what gets released.

satellitedog01

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
U2 set themselves contractually free with The Joshua Tree, and have been in controll since then. At least until the Live Nation contract, of which I know not much beyond three albums and tours.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »

this reeks of BS

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
Seems like almost everyone has their own theory. Some just make more sense than others.

That one just happened to make very little.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
Pub crawl.

Offline Swimming Sorrows

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »
So the live nation contract is three albums? Just wondering if people think U2 will wrap things up after their contract is complete - similar to REM.

satellitedog01

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 08:11:53 AM »
Well others probably know more about it, but I wonder if they'll ever complete the contract at all.

macfoley

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »
Well others probably know more about it, but I wonder if they'll ever complete the contract at all.

I thought the contract was until 2020.

And nothing to do with how many albums they record or not.