Author Topic: What do you think is going on with U2?  (Read 8772 times)

macfoley

Re: What do you think is going on with U2?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »
This is from 2008 regarding U2's contract with LN

U2 has inked a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists to handle its worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. "I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them," U2 manager Pau

U2's deal with Live Nation puts the promoter in business with one of the highest earning bands in the world for more than a decade.

It's a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music.

------------------------------

So it does not include albums.

satellitedog01

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Cool, and since there's no publishing component, they can split up if they like? I mean they owe albums neither to Universal, nor LN.

macfoley

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cool, and since there's no publishing component, they can split up if they like? I mean they owe albums neither to Universal, nor LN.

I am sure they could split up if they like, but I don't know if they would have to buy themselves out of the LN contract? I mean LN takes care of their website, merchandise (U2 stuff will always be sold, new tee's and that will come out with or without U2's existence) I can see compilations coming out if U2 are not going to release any more original albums. And if U2 are not touring, again can't see the contract being affected. Considering we have only had one album and tour with LN. I think LN also are the ones who are incharge of the yearly gifts of U2.com too.

All depends if U2 split and decide to terminate their contract with LN. But then another company would have to take charge of that side of things.

satellitedog01

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
I didn't mention terminating the contract with LN, just splitting up without releasing any further new material. The legacy merchandise and releases of course will need handling but I don't give a toss about those.

macfoley

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
I didn't mention terminating the contract with LN, just splitting up without releasing any further new material. The legacy merchandise and releases of course will need handling but I don't give a toss about those.

Fair, but you got me thinking, would there be something in the LN contract about U2 "splitting up"?

satellitedog01

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
Should be.

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »

Fair, but you got me thinking, would there be something in the LN contract about U2 "splitting up"?

Definitely. They would even have clauses in their contract to prescribe what would happen of Adam stubbed his toe at rehearsal.

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »
One thing's for certain though, if u2 did split up and have to pay live nation a termination amount, it would be subject to a 24.5% handling fee and parking levy.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »
scavenger hunt.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »
Artistically, they seem to lack focus but having heard nothing other than "Invisible" and "Ordinary Love", I couldn't say for sure.

On the marketing side, they are having a hard time dealing with the fact that the LP format is dead and that a new U2 is not longer synonym of the return of Jesus Christ.

These two combined make a lot of false starts.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
What makes this delay (?) puzzling, to me, is that it seems the band have been writing and recording regularly (outside of the admittedly exhaustive 360 Tour) almost since the day NLOTH was released, if you believe Songs of Ascent was as close to completed as the Rolling Stone article made it sound.  As a fan, it would be easier to accept if I knew the band made a conscious decision to take a sabbatical: raise kids, meet grandkids, save Africa, invent new ways to dodge taxes.  The fact that there have been several attempts to make Album 13 is what has made this process so difficult. 

What can I say?  I'm still stupid enough to believe each new U2 release will be excellent (even if not their best work) and the thought of a new LP gets me excited.  If nothing else, a new record means a new tour and I still find value in a U2 live show.  It's like the World Cup.  Every four years there's an event.  Some years your team does better than others but it's always worth watching. 

[Off-topic: I saw a poster for the movie "Maleficent" and immediately hummed the title to the tune of "Magnificent".]

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
I'd take them writing and recording over campaigning and politicking any day, even if they both result in no music being released.

Offline Jreagin3

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »
It's becoming harder to capturar la imaginación...!

Offline Buck

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »

On the marketing side, they are having a hard time dealing with the fact that the LP format is dead

So what has replaced the LP format?

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
LP format is not dead, and won't be in any near future, but what is becoming dead is a mass demand for it. U2 are finding themselves at a point of realization that the profit/money doesn't equal relevance or popularity anymore, that's what I feel. Economy is different, and most probably will completely crash and burn, what U2 can face is a change of values and priorities, by offering their art for the mere reason of speaking musically with the urgency of their heart & soul, still reaching as many people as possible, but not for the sake of popularity itself, but more for the ambition to influence as many people as possible, to make a difference, not for the status of the band itself, but for the world. I believe this is possible, and I believe something is really changing inside U2 including Bono. Watch the way how the new album is going to be promoted, it's gonna be different than last time, just watch.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:31:56 PM by Sunchild »