Author Topic: What do you think is going on with U2?  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Zooropean

• Wanderer
Re: What do you think is going on with U2?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »
Manics, Kasabian and LDR have all nailed it with their new albums. Why worry? U2 are still my top band overall, but there is so much good music being released that they're no longer the force they were outside of these forums.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
^^^^^

Lots of up and coming new artists too, been lucky enough to sit and enjoy a fair bit of Glastonbury this weekend and seen some very promising artists, who are not heralded much yet but who are making interesting and good music, and performing it brilliantly.

U2 are U2 and have a great history, but time can't be fought forever and looking at the artists coming through you can see the fire and the intrigue U2 used to have.

It's a big old world of music out there and it never has or never will begin and end with U2.

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:23 AM »
I count myself as a massive fan of U2.
Have been for longer than i remember. Also enjoy Springsteen, REM , Coldplay and Metallica.

I have continued to say that U2 can take as long as they need to record and produce a GREAT album.
The last three weeks i have changed my mind. I'm running out of NEW decent material to listen to these days and i'm constantly seeing the band doing everything else but complete the record.

How much time do they need to produce another GREAT album.

My top 6 Albums in the following order:

1) Achtung Baby - Fav Song - ACROBAT & ULTRAVIOLET
2) All that you cant leave... Fav Song - WALKON
3) How to dismantle.... Fav Song - A MAN AND A WOMAN & NATIVE SON
4) Joshua Tree... Fav Song - WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
5) POP - Fav Song - GONE
6) NLOTH - Fav Song - MAGNIFICENT & NLOTH 'Single edit'

PS; Hoping for a produced album version of MERCY.

meximofo

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I count myself as a massive fan of U2.
Have been for longer than i remember. Also enjoy Springsteen, REM , Coldplay and Metallica.

I have continued to say that U2 can take as long as they need to record and produce a GREAT album.
The last three weeks i have changed my mind. I'm running out of NEW decent material to listen to these days and i'm constantly seeing the band doing everything else but complete the record.

How much time do they need to produce another GREAT album.

My top 6 Albums in the following order:

1) Achtung Baby - Fav Song - ACROBAT & ULTRAVIOLET
2) All that you cant leave... Fav Song - WALKON
3) How to dismantle.... Fav Song - A MAN AND A WOMAN & NATIVE SON
4) Joshua Tree... Fav Song - WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
5) POP - Fav Song - GONE
6) NLOTH - Fav Song - MAGNIFICENT & NLOTH 'Single edit'

PS; Hoping for a produced album version of MERCY.
Welcome to the forum DEX! Nice to see some appreciation of A Man And A Woman.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
^^^^^

It's a big old world of music out there and it never has or never will begin and end with U2.

That's why, as much as it pains me, these days I could care less about what's going on with U2 (until they put out something new, of course). 

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 04:25:27 AM »
I think they are gearing up to release the best Album since Achtung baby.

Let them take as much time as they need! I have confidence its going to be a cracker!
Possibly the best album to date!

Dex

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I know there are several Tool fans on here who have compared the wait on their next record to the current wait for U2's.  Sadly, it sounds as if they are even further away from a release than U2 - and for non-music reasons, which is even more maddening.  Still, it's refreshing for a band member to speak up and say, "It's time [the fans] understand what's going on."

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
They may be trying to figure out how to end their run on their 40th anniversary in 2016, the logistics of that alone would force all other considerations into down-gear mode. A great many of us longtime fans are feeling like the big wind-down is approaching, the band are probably feeling the same way. If they decide on arenas, a "goodbye" tour of that nature would take the better part of 3 years what with multiple shows in each city. Or, they could do what the Stones have done and have longer runs in select cities to cut down travel.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
I would have a very hard time believing that any member of the band would agree to do a "farewell tour", at any point but especially in the next 3 years. It could possibly turn out to happen that way after the fact, but there's no way it would be their actual intent in my opinion.