Author Topic: Post Punk U2  (Read 7594 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: Post Punk U2
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »
Boy and War are my 4th and 5th favorite albums after Pop and Achtung Baby. My second favorite era and the only bootlegs I listen to are ones from 1979-1983.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »
mind if i ask what shows from 79 u have?

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
Those are great bootlegs to have Zoost a favorite of mine is the 83 BBC broadcast. I hope this next tour they pull out more post punk era material and play them ferociously like I know they still can. Here's a version of 11o clock in 2000 the beginning is played way to slow but when they get to Edges melodic solo it starts to pick up nicely.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:11:05 PM by bondylan »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
October is the only very early U2 album I listen to with any frequency, and even then it's not much. I certainly have very positive feelings for particular songs from all three releases, but I don't have the urge to listen to them as albums the way I do with their 90s work and even ATYCLB and NLOTH.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
War is definitely a favorite. So, there's LOVE. :)

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »
I think WAR is a classic U2 record. Kudos to Steve Lillywhite' s excellent production Larry's drums & Adams bass sound killer, Bono really pushed himself on that record and I think for Edge it was the first time he used distortion but it wasn't overkill his tone was just right.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:04:14 PM by bondylan »

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
Any love for Cartoon World ?

I got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell .
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:35:59 AM by bondylan »

Offline Poswatz

• Stateless
  • Sadie got off on the 48th floor... so did I.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
Say something once, why say it again?

All 3 albums had a level of emotional energy that was amazing. It truly was what set them apart at the time.

NO ONE sounded like they did.

What sets punk and post-punk off is its connection to the emotions, to the energy. It really has nothing to do with the technique used to make the sound the way the instruments are played, or the lyrics sung.

I just don't know if ANY 53-year-olds I know have that same kind of emotional energy - raw, vulnerable, confused, frustrated.  Just living to this age alternatively knocks the stuffing out of everyone AND evens out the emotional upheavals, like planing and sanding wood to a smooth finish. I'm sure that they are not the exception to the rule.

Since ATYCLB, U2's been almost ALL about the technique, and the craft, because that's what they have left. All the stuff they tapped into in the first 20 years is all smoothed out.

In order to go in a new direction, they'll need to acknowledge and tap into the authentic emotion they have NOW.

All around me, our generation is beginning to see new pain: loss of older parents or siblings, fear of aging and the vulnerability that "losing it" holds, fear of being exploited or uncared for by our children, the way love changes and can feel stifling; the list goes on.

There is also new JOY: grandchildren, the freedom to redefine and grow, the ability to see both backwards into youth and forward into old age, a new awareness of the spiritual and how we fit into the world... but it never has to be status quo. It doesn't have to be boring.

When I was a kid, middle age seemed to be so boring, so lifeless and dull. Now that I'm here, It's both frightening and incredibly promising. If they can harness that, and put it to music, whether it sounds post-punk or not will be immaterial. It will simply be them back on their game again.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
I wouldn't be adverse to u2 returning to a more straight up 3 piece sound on the next record. Melodic edge guitar with a rougher edge

Over production has been the enemy of their last records - they aren't going to create the sonic landscape of their 90s work, where it was experimental sounds complementing their traditional sound, and the overly polished softened sound of their 00s work is just too nice and safe for me with too many pop flourishes. Larrys drums have been pushed back in the mix too much and been too soft, Adams bass more often than not not propulsive enough.

marvgadgie

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
If you doubt what we are saying here just watch the Red Rocks VHS/DVD. You will see what we mean.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
On Bono's birthday no less.....RSO was too busy basking in the indulgences of disco at that time.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »
I go back to the first three over and over again for their sheer heart-on-sleeve power.   They hold nothing back.   Not only do they lack finesse, what is expressed is fairly unoriginal.   But it is honest.   And therefore never trite.   I can't think of anyone that stands as naked in their songs as Bono does on October (the album), for example.   Not always pretty, but it's unfailingly compelling.

If they get back half that searing honesty on the next album, it will convert me all over again.

In order to go in a new direction, they'll need to acknowledge and tap into the authentic emotion they have NOW.

All around me, our generation is beginning to see new pain: loss of older parents or siblings, fear of aging and the vulnerability that "losing it" holds, fear of being exploited or uncared for by our children, the way love changes and can feel stifling; the list goes on.

There is also new JOY: grandchildren, the freedom to redefine and grow, the ability to see both backwards into youth and forward into old age, a new awareness of the spiritual and how we fit into the world... but it never has to be status quo. It doesn't have to be boring.

When I was a kid, middle age seemed to be so boring, so lifeless and dull. Now that I'm here, It's both frightening and incredibly promising. If they can harness that, and put it to music, whether it sounds post-punk or not will be immaterial. It will simply be them back on their game again.

Couldn't agree more.

Invalid Tweet ID

I always thought that letter isn't real.   I mean, I'm sure they got plenty of letters to like effect, but that one looks fake.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:28:18 PM by Velvet Dress »

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
Podwatz, those are really strong points I totaly agree with you. The first 3 albums are very special even though they lack technique, in those days post punk bands like Joy Division ,Echo and the bunnymen ,Psychadelic furs, Gang of four (etc) just went for it with pure energy an emotion. I think what set U2 apart was The Edges sound and Bono's lyrics even though they were simplistic they contained deep spiritual truth.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:40:12 PM by bondylan »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 02:58:12 PM »
Say something once, why say it again?

All 3 albums had a level of emotional energy that was amazing. It truly was what set them apart at the time.

NO ONE sounded like they did.

What sets punk and post-punk off is its connection to the emotions, to the energy. It really has nothing to do with the technique used to make the sound the way the instruments are played, or the lyrics sung.

I just don't know if ANY 53-year-olds I know have that same kind of emotional energy - raw, vulnerable, confused, frustrated.  Just living to this age alternatively knocks the stuffing out of everyone AND evens out the emotional upheavals, like planing and sanding wood to a smooth finish. I'm sure that they are not the exception to the rule.

Since ATYCLB, U2's been almost ALL about the technique, and the craft, because that's what they have left. All the stuff they tapped into in the first 20 years is all smoothed out.

Great posting. It's just that radio stations don't want to play this kind of "raw emotion" anymore because it detracts from the commercials. That's why blandness rules the airwaves these days.