Author Topic: Post Punk U2  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
Re: Post Punk U2
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What puzzles me about that era is when a post punk best of list comes out you will see Joy Division , Echo and the bunnymen, The Cure (etc) but no U2 it's as if they were never apart of that scene. The songs on U2's first 3 record's can match anything those bands have put out not to mention their earlier material The Fool, Another Day, Street Mission, Life on distant planet. The energy ,pureness ,and rawness of those early records keep me coming back to them.

It's probably because U2 transcended that scene in ways those other bands never did. So in a way, U2 was never truly confined to any scene. It's likely much to do with why many of those other bands disliked U2 so much too.

Yes U2 left their contemporaries in the dust and I think most of them were jealous of their
fire/ desire , and disliked their message of LOVE and spirituality.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:28:07 AM by Parsons »

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2015, 07:00:51 AM »
I don't think it's anything like that at all. U2 started in a post-punk world, but to call them postpunk would be to put them in a genre they probably didn't want to be in, and over time, they made it fairly obviously they wanted to be a big rock band, and that was the ambition, far ore than being 'postpunk'. If they'd split up in 1983 hardly anyone would be tha bothered now about them, and they would struggle to play 2,000-3,000 capacity venues if they did a reunion tour.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
I don't think it's anything like that at all. U2 started in a post-punk world, but to call them postpunk would be to put them in a genre they probably didn't want to be in, and over time, they made it fairly obviously they wanted to be a big rock band, and that was the ambition, far ore than being 'postpunk'. If they'd split up in 1983 hardly anyone would be tha bothered now about them, and they would struggle to play 2,000-3,000 capacity venues if they did a reunion tour.

I don't think anyone here is calling U2 a post punk band ,we're just acknowledging the fact that it was the genera they came out of and one they are currently revisiting (to a certain degree).

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
Volcano is the nearest theyve sounded to post punk U2,,  I can also hear Siouxie & the banshees in that song,, & The end when Edge is on piano sounds like it could of been on October or War,,  Hope Volcano is the direction they are going for SOE,, just a pity they havnt played it on tour yet !!

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2015, 11:42:24 AM »
Sorry i meant the piano on the end of Raised by wolves ;-)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »
i think Volcano and RBW sound War-era to me in the way The Troubles and SLABT sound Pop-era

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
Maybe the Troubles is asking to be orchestrated like Velvet Dress.

Offline zimbo

• Stateless
  • under blue moon i saw you
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
I LOVE the post punk energy they have right now, i hope they put it on the new record reminds me of THE ALARM , BUNNYMEN , BANSHEES !

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 07:48:39 PM »
Volcano deserves a live non-studio airing. It could be just as good as Love and Peace which also got better when played live.