Author Topic: Post Punk U2  (Read 7616 times)

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
Post Punk U2
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
U2 arrived on the music scene with energy emotion and a determination to be heard ls there still love here for the explosive post punk era of U2 ?
Boy ,Oct ,War rarely get the love they deserve .
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think there was a lot of magical momments.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:34:43 AM by bondylan »

marvgadgie

Re: Post Punk U2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:01:07 AM »
Along with the initial punk explosion, the late 70's early 80's is my favourite era of music, never mind just U2 wise.
I often think if U2 had split after October, as we are told they nearly did, Boy would be considered a lost new wave/post punk classic.
I consider it so anyway.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:57 AM »
80's U2 is my favourite era

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:19:12 AM »
What puzzles me about that era is when a post punk best of list comes out you will see Joy Division , Echo and the bunnymen, The Cure (etc) but no U2 it's as if they were never apart of that scene. The songs on U2's first 3 record's can match anything those bands have put out not to mention their earlier material The Fool, Another Day, Street Mission, Life on distant planet. The energy ,pureness ,and rawness of those early records keep me coming back to them.
I loved during the Vertigo tour how they played the early stuff again ,Out of Control at Glastonbury was a favorite. I hope during the next tour U2 will play more from their post punk catalog songs like A day without me, Twilight, Rejoice,Tomorrow,Like a song,Drowning man (etc). Here are some rarities from that incredible period.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:37:11 AM by bondylan »

smee

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
I <3 the first three albums. As a trio.....i probably list theses as being the albums that evoke the most pleasant and special memories of being a u2 fan

Edgedisciple

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
I wish they would go back to the rawness of Boy and October for the new record, especially for what concerns the guitar. To me they would need something like that to hit big again. But it won't happen...

Offline 2_Shots_Of_Lemon

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Banks they're like cathedrals...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
Those first three albums are still very much loved by me. It's hard to think why those albums haven't gotten the attention they deserve.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
What if U2 would make a post punk record today? After all, post punk has evolved as a style, too. It certainly would alienate a few of their pop fans for being too harsh and it wouldn't get them onto the radio. But the critics and the readers of music magazines (and their online alternatives) would probably praise it as a long-awaited return to form. U2 might even have the guts to try it - but would they have what it takes to be this raw again? You never know until you try, or so the saying goes. The concept of the "Man" album with Steve Lillywhite producing is there for the taking. Will U2 take this bait? I guess not because they still believe in "radio friendliness".

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:47:27 PM »
Bono said something to the effect after Zoo tv" that U2 from here on out would be an audio visual band " while I enjoyed Zoo tv and Pop MART and all, some of the rawness from the post punk era was lost because to put on shows of that magnitude you have to be in perfect time to match what's going on visually.
From the Boy tour to Love Town U2 was known for being a minimalist band live, all energy was put on performance sure there were timing flaws and stuff but it was heart on your sleeve rock n roll. In From the sky Down they mentioned how physically and mentally draining that kind of performing was, but it's been 24 + years since that type of performance I think a back to basics type tour would do the band some good.Drop the visuals and bring back the energy.
Believe it or not in the early 80 's you would hear a steady flow of U2's post punk music on USA radio. Gloria , New year's day ,Two hearts , and Sunday were regular staples on Mtv.They would have no problem getting on todays radio with great songs like that.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:27:31 AM by bondylan »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:04:48 AM »
Say something once, why say it again?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »
Bono said something to the effect after Zoo tv" that U2 from here on out would be an audio visual band " while I enjoyed Zoo tv and Pop MART and all, some of the rawness from the post punk era was lost because to put on shows of that magnitude you have to be in perfect time to match what's going on visually.
From the Boy tour to Love Town U2 was known for being a minimalist band live, all energy was put on performance sure there were timing flaws and stuff but it was heart on your sleeve rock n roll. In From the sky Down they mentioned how physically and mentally draining that kind of performing was, but it's been 24 + years since that type of performance I think a back to basics type tour would do the band some good.Drop the visuals and bring back the energy.
Believe it or not in the early 80 's you would hear a steady flow of U2's post punk music on USA radio. Gloria , New year's day ,Two hearts , and Sunday were regular staples on Mtv.They would have no problem getting on todays radio with great songs like that.

that's what they did with Elevation, more or less. Some visuals but not the bombastic in your faceness of Zoo/Popmart

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
What puzzles me about that era is when a post punk best of list comes out you will see Joy Division , Echo and the bunnymen, The Cure (etc) but no U2 it's as if they were never apart of that scene. The songs on U2's first 3 record's can match anything those bands have put out not to mention their earlier material The Fool, Another Day, Street Mission, Life on distant planet. The energy ,pureness ,and rawness of those early records keep me coming back to them.
I loved during the Vertigo tour how they played the early stuff again ,Out of Control at Glastonbury was a favorite. I hope during the next tour U2 will play more from their post punk catalog songs like A day without me, Twilight, Rejoice,Tomorrow,Like a song,Drowning man (etc). Here are some rarities from that incredible period.

The issue, I think, is that U2 basically completely abandoned that genre as of the Joshua Tree, if not earlier.  The other bands you mentioned, except maybe the Cure, stayed basically in the same wheelhouse in which they started. U2 was never content to do that, and are basically much better known for what they did after that era.

Also, I do wonder if U2's overt spirituality set them apart, making them practically a "Christian Rock Band" to many at the time.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
I wasn't implying U2 totally go back to the post punk genre , I have enjoyed U2's evolution but  I think some of that energy & simplistic rawness would be a (re) welcome change. It's funny but most non U2 fans or casual fans mention really liking their earliest material.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:52:51 PM by bondylan »

Offline Johnny_Mac12

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
I don't think they could pull off a show with little to no visuals. Back then, Bono used to climb walls and do all kinds of crazy things to engage the fans. They are older now and can't move around like they used to. They need the visuals in order to project the energy. Don't get me wrong, that show would still be good since the music is there. It just wouldn't be the top notch performance that we've come to expect from them.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
Good point Johny Mac12 ,but If I remember during the Vertigo tour when they performed Electric co and In cat Dubh the cover of Boy was all that was on screen and it was a high point of the show for me . The small promotional tour for NLOTH didn't have any visuals either and Breathe in particular was grand. But perhaps your right maybe they need visuals now.