Author Topic: ...and I watch Bono's pedestal come crashing down upon me.  (Read 5624 times)

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
Re: ...and I watch Bono's pedestal come crashing down upon me.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »
Read Harry Browne's book Bono: In the Name of Power. You don't have to agree with his point of view regarding Bono, but as a long-time fan it did make me question Bono's activism-- while I'm sure is coming from a good place, it does not often help people he purports to be helping. I think once you are a rock star and multimillionaire it's hard to stay authentic.

Offline SpanishEyes73

• Babyface
  • No spoken words, just a scream....
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
I think it has to be absolutely soul crushing over the years to go back to the same trough over and over, talking to the same Republican right-wing corporate bankers and the like trying to get them to share the same passion he has for the world's poorest people.  He knows that 80 percent of them aren't listening to what he's saying, and most of them are there for the "star power", or to do business, etc, nothing about his cause.....he may get a few promises that will never be fulfilled, or a cheque, but schmoozing isn't where the man who first went to Africa with Ali all those years ago ever saw himself I would imagine.  He always says he comes from a long line of travelling salesmen on his mother's side, and that requires a certain level of inflated ego to do well.  I too have been watching some of his speeches lately (Georgetown, the whole hour) and I still see my hero who got me to join Amnesty back in the 80's, but he does look a little tired at times, perhaps even a bit older (yikes!).....but when he gets on to a point he is excited about, such as when he mentioned how many lives they have saved with money from the U.S., he becomes the passionate crusader again.  I think he needs to go back to Africa and get his hands in the dirt again to make him feel invigorated.....but after the album and tour of course!!!! ;)    As an aside, if what many of you were saying is true and perhaps Bono has an "arrangement" with Ali, I too have an "arrangement" in my marriage that if Bono ever happened to meet me and be interested, I'm allowed a one off!!!!  So if you are reading this Bono and you are tired of supermodels throwing themselves at you and the idea of a chubby 41 year old with MS sounds appealing, come get me baby!!!! ;D  :-*  LOL.  Just wanted to make everyone laugh....

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
LOL! Good points.