Author Topic: Think this is legit? (New "Sirens" video and Facebook page)  (Read 8227 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Think this is legit? (New "Sirens" video and Facebook page)
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
No, it wouldn't. It would be labeled "disinformation" etc. Speculation would still run rampant.

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
No, keeping strong communications with their fan base is not too much to ask of a band who will most likely release an album some time in the next 12 months and then count on that built up goodwill to sell tickets to the worldwide tour to follow.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »
Why all the defense for Oseary he should be the mediator between band and fan. A simple statement about the state of affairs is not to much to ask from someone who inherited the job from probably one of the greatest rock n roll managers in the last 30 years.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For fecks sake - maybe the band / Oseary / a random spokesperson could at least drop something official as to a tentative expected month / year of when the album may come out.

I really don't think there's such thing.

I know the band are too busy watching Niall Rodgers and playing scratch gigs with Julian so I suppose I can cut them a break.  What is it exactly Oseary's done for them again?

Good question. By now, you'd think the band would have realized -- if they don't like the direction a particular producer is known for, find another producer (not 3 in a hit or miss type of strategy). Bono keeps talking punk, art, cutting edge...but he keeps hiring pop, watered down mainstream, yesterday's short-lived trendsettter. Don't you think Oseary would be pointing this out as well? Or, maybe that is just the fans' job?

No no...clearly the job of the fans is to hold the band hostage with their own expectations of what U2 should be doing, and to cry foul if they band should dare do something different from what they like them for.

At least that's the impression that I get.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:09 PM »
I totally understand what your saying MESSENGER I'm all for the band taking as long as they want on this project,  that's not my issue. My issue is with all the disinformation concerning this project it would be nice for U2's management team to set the record straight as to what is really happening as a courtesy to the u2 fan base.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »
For fecks sake - maybe the band / Oseary / a random spokesperson could at least drop something official as to a tentative expected month / year of when the album may come out.

I really don't think there's such thing.

I know the band are too busy watching Niall Rodgers and playing scratch gigs with Julian so I suppose I can cut them a break.  What is it exactly Oseary's done for them again?

Good question. By now, you'd think the band would have realized -- if they don't like the direction a particular producer is known for, find another producer (not 3 in a hit or miss type of strategy). Bono keeps talking punk, art, cutting edge...but he keeps hiring pop, watered down mainstream, yesterday's short-lived trendsettter. Don't you think Oseary would be pointing this out as well? Or, maybe that is just the fans' job?

No no...clearly the job of the fans is to hold the band hostage with their own expectations of what U2 should be doing, and to cry foul if they band should dare do something different from what they like them for.

At least that's the impression that I get.

Your impression is not wrong.

elevation_man

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »
I totally understand what your saying MESSENGER I'm all for the band taking as long as they want on this project,  that's not my issue. My issue is with all the disinformation concerning this project it would be nice for U2's management team to set the record straight as to what is really happening as a courtesy to the u2 fan base.

The other option is to let the mill continue to churn out rumor after rumor, say nothing official and continue to irritate the fan base.  At a minimum an official statement would show a bit of respect to fans who have given them "a great life".  This isn't the 1970s with having to get the word out in print or snail mail to a fan club base - word travels far and fast and can be done in 140 characters or less...

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »
Oseary is doing great! He could have easily released a statement by now to announce that there its no Imminent release and quash all rumours or a typical non value adding update like Paul used to "band sounding great and will be ready sooner than people think" etc etc..
Instead he its allowing the free publicity and rumour mill to keep churning in the interest of the band... Lots of speculation as a result and can only be healthy for their business.. That, or he can't be Ar**d!! You decide.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 02:02:16 AM »
Not sure if anyone has said this already but I would not be surprised if oseary was behind some of the rumours of late. Planting the seeds, watching the forums go mental.easy and free publicity.

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2014, 06:03:28 AM »
WHY DO WHOEVER IS DOING THIS, KEEP TEASING US LIKE THIS.
I NEED MY U2 FIX, THIS IS LIKE SO NOT LIKE FAIR, AT ALL....

JUST RELEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE IT ALREADY.... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
Oseary is doing great! He could have easily released a statement by now to announce that there its no Imminent release and quash all rumours or a typical non value adding update like Paul used to "band sounding great and will be ready sooner than people think" etc etc..
Instead he its allowing the free publicity and rumour mill to keep churning in the interest of the band... Lots of speculation as a result and can only be healthy for their business.. That, or he can't be Ar**d!! You decide.

I'd like to think they give the fans more credit and they don't feel the need to refute every fake Facebook page and disingenuously titled YouTube video. The response I'd love to see is a statement by Larry telling the fans to not be suckers. Those semi-official-looking type tweets from South America were denied. But tweets from some random person who is only slightly connected to the music industry in general and not U2's label? I don't think it's their job to try to put out every fire when U2 fans are seeing smoke everywhere.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
+1. Sirens was an obvious hoax. Of course , telling us the album would be out soon every six months since 2010 was not a hoax and was badly handled.

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
We are still awaiting an pending release of an album connected to a world wide tour within the next 12 months  - more or maybe even less.

So much changed info from the band itself. So much other info coming from other media sources, backing up each other. To be fair --- it's been a long time since the last album release, and now all this. It's at the least, confusing. Beyond that, it's not helping the band in any way. It only feeds the frustration.

Why shouldn't the band, either through it's spokesperson, or an informal release on their site, just keep communication open with their fan base and casually clear up all the mess floating around? I certainly don't think it's too much to ask to not be so distant from the very fans that you plan to sell a whole lot to in the coming months.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
I'm betting the band is frustrated as well.  It appears they've thought for several years they could pull an album together but it hasn't happened.  What else do you want them to say?  Any information outside of a release date is irrelevant. The creative process is tricky, probably even more so for a veteran group known for its lofty goals.  I sincerely doubt there is some sinister plot behind the scenes and I am certain once U2 has a record to put out we will all know about it. 

Offline msm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
I'm betting the band is frustrated as well.  It appears they've thought for several years they could pull an album together but it hasn't happened.  What else do you want them to say?  Any information outside of a release date is irrelevant. The creative process is tricky, probably even more so for a veteran group known for its lofty goals.  I sincerely doubt there is some sinister plot behind the scenes and I am certain once U2 has a record to put out we will all know about it.

^This.  And with that, I'll return to lurking status.