Author Topic: U2 EP's  (Read 6545 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
U2 EP's
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »
Why do you think the band no longer does many EP's?

It seemed like they used to put out a low cost EP in between every album release:
War album then UABRS EP
UF album then WAIA EP

Joshua Tree was followed by R&H, which was sort of a hybrid between a new album and a live EP, plus it followed so closely on the heels of JT that there wasn't this waiting.

I know they did U2-7 a while back, and maybe the concert songs available for download from the gig in NYC might count as an EP.

It seems to me that there have been many songs "stranded" between albums that could have been perfect for an EP: HMKMTHKM, Electrical Storm, Hands that Built America, Ground Beneath her Feet, and even Window in the Skies (maybe Mercy too). 

Why not put 2-4 new songs together with some live tracks and/or remixes and give the fans something new?  I for one did NOT buy U2 18, because I basically had everything except the 2 new tracks, which I wasn't super crazy about and could watch the videos for.  If it had been packaged with a few live cuts I would have bought it just for the live stuff and would probably have listened to those songs a lot more.

InThisHeartland

Re: U2 EP's
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:27:18 PM »
good post, i agree completely. not to compare U2 and Coldplay TOO much, but i loved viva la vida, and am very happy to say that they are releasing an EP titled Prospekt's March sometime this month. Sounds good to me. and they are planning ANOTHER new album sometime next year! yes!

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
good post, i agree completely. not to compare U2 and Coldplay TOO much, but i loved viva la vida, and am very happy to say that they are releasing an EP titled Prospekt's March sometime this month. Sounds good to me. and they are planning ANOTHER new album sometime next year! yes!

Was this announced by the band or by Chris Martin?  Because Chris sometimes gets a little carried away as far as albums go.  I remember an interview where he said he wanted to be like The Beatles who released great albums every year at a minimum...but then they didn't release another album for like two years after that.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:05:24 PM »
Was this announced by the band or by Chris Martin?  Because Chris sometimes gets a little carried away as far as albums go.  I remember an interview where he said he wanted to be like The Beatles who released great albums every year at a minimum...but then they didn't release another album for like two years after that.

'twas indeed, although he also said he wanted another album out by the end of 2009, and I believe the EP was actually supposed to be released in late December. Not that I'm too affected, because Coldplay is always one of those bands I hope get better but never do.

As for the EP question, I've never been too fond of them, especially longer ones. If you have 25 minutes of music you might as well add 10 more and call it an album, and if you have 15 minutes you might as well take 5 off and call it a single; as such, they're this strange sort of no-man's land between two standards.

I think the other thing is that usually younger bands put out EPs, either during or before their early albums. The other immediate example I'm thinking of is how R.E.M. put out Chronic Town and have done nothing EP-wise since.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
The EP concept a/k/a mini album is unfairly overlooked these days by the record labels - as a physical release anyway. I agree with you that the release of an EP at some time during or after the tour, to bridge the gap between albums, would be really cool. It shouldn't be all digital, though, but on CD, too, and it should mostly consist of new songs, rather than live tracks or remixes, because live recordings are best watched on DVD anyway these days and remixes always have the sound of the guy who mixes, not the sound of the band.

But for now, I'm still curious on what the new album will be like.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »
I suppose there now is a chance of an EP. They recorded new stuff for their 3 greatest hits CD's and even re-recorded some songs from 'Pop'. As their won't be any more greatest hits albums for a while they could just make an EP. But knowing U2 that may turn into another 'Zooropa'. Which is no bad thing.

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
Didn't EPs fall by the wayside when extended CD singles came around?  Some CD singles have more songs than an EP.

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
Yeah well, I would consider physical singles dead also.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »

In my local HMV they are, I have to travel 20 miles into the city to get one.  :-\

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »
The Coldplay EP is out now. It's called Lost! and features 4 versions of the song "Lost!", including a mix with Jay-Z.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »
The Coldplay EP is out now. It's called Lost! and features 4 versions of the song "Lost!", including a mix with Jay-Z.

well that one too. but the one i'm really looking forward to is called Prospekt's March. it comes out November 25 here in the USA

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

With good reason; when All Because of You was released as a single here in Canada, it became the lowest selling single to make it to #1.  I think it sold somewhere around 80-85 physical records, a Guinness World Record.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

Hmm, sure about that?  There is a 3-track "Lost!" single (which I own) with the album mix, instrumental mix and acoustic mix (called "Lost?").  The Jay-Z mix (called "Lost+") is, to my knowledge, exclusive to and debuting on the PROPEKT'S MARCH EP next week.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »

Hmm, sure about that?  There is a 3-track "Lost!" single (which I own) with the album mix, instrumental mix and acoustic mix (called "Lost?").  The Jay-Z mix (called "Lost+") is, to my knowledge, exclusive to and debuting on the PROPEKT'S MARCH EP next week.

Nope, it is in both.

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
Thanks for backing me up. I'll remember this. :)