Author Topic: Will Bullet the Blue Sky be added back on tour set list now that's it's being used on Son of Anarchy  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
If you think it was poorly performed it is probably because his range has dropped and he has blown out his voice a little. Today's ear monitors would have saved some of his voice in the 80's.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
you just can't get rid of WOWY...they can't make any new fan bases as bad as it was last tour

what? youre saying they cant get rid of it, but it was poorly performed the whole last tour? i think that's the best reason to get it gone finally. they're clearly sick of it.

so to recap

lose:
WOWY
ISHF
Pride

Everyone wants to see it...you're thinking too much from a fans perspective

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
nah, ive been a casual fan of bands before that did a CRAP job on big hits i wanted to hear live. i literally said "well they sure didnt wanna do that one anymore.......". sometimes a fan dodges a bullet by not hearing a fav. single done live.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
If they don't look like they are sleeping on the job like they did with 360 WOWY then I'd happily see Bullet back. As an aside I thought the 360 ISHFWILF was a real highlight - a real coming together moment with the crowd. The Glasgow version was superb.

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
I can't believe they didn't play it at glastonbury

Offline Philaboy1971

• Headache in a Suitcase
After thinking about what's going on in the world lately, Ukraine, Syria, ISIS, etc.,we may see it come back live to make a statement.

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • North Dakota is best Dakota
lose:
WOWY
ISHF
Pride
I agree on all of these, despite the fact Pride is my second favorite song ever.
Songs they should add:
October
Wire
RHMT
Acrobat
WILATW
OSC
WaS

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
I don't believe that BTBS has ever been phoned in.

There may have been a few lackluster performances on the Vertigo tour, but even at its worst, it still rocks.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
you just can't get rid of WOWY...they can't make any new fan bases as bad as it was last tour

what? youre saying they cant get rid of it, but it was poorly performed the whole last tour? i think that's the best reason to get it gone finally. they're clearly sick of it.

so to recap

lose:
WOWY
ISHF
Pride

I agree to drop Pride, it's cooked and burned. I have to say that I've never liked the live guitar sound, too soft, I've always preferred the studio version to the live version. I like ISHF better than the studio version, but I wouldn't miss it that much either. I disagree for WOWY. It's so magic and powerful even when it's played poorly, you can't leave it out of the setlist for no reason at all. Yes, maybe the rendition on the last tour has been inferior compared to the previous ones, but I liked it, it wasn't that bad for me.
I would drop WOWY, keep ISHF and care less about what happens to pride...
We all agree that they should drop some of the "tired" songs, but of course not this one, not that other one because...
Image being the band reading this forum to find out what songs should be dropped.

OT: Bullet back in but change from RH to ZOO to vertigo version on different shows.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
^Yep. My issue with WOWY is the same. It's tired and phoned in. Why not throw the LONG DORMANT AIWIY in. Sure it's been played at the occasional show, but i mean full on replace WOWY with AIWIY for the entire tour.
Because AIWIY is not as well known among younger audience members. If you didn't buy R&H and you never saw 'Reality Bites' you've probably never heard it.

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
^Yep. My issue with WOWY is the same. It's tired and phoned in. Why not throw the LONG DORMANT AIWIY in. Sure it's been played at the occasional show, but i mean full on replace WOWY with AIWIY for the entire tour.
Because AIWIY is not as well known among younger audience members. If you didn't buy R&H and you never saw 'Reality Bites' you've probably never heard it.

I was just a kid when ATYCLB came out (but have almost all of the albums, so I may not be the best example) and I'd argue that it's six one way, half dozen the other in regards to AIWIY and WOWY in terms of recognition factor. AIWIY would probably be a better choice simply because it hasn't been done to death on the live shows. If they brought back the extra verse for it and maybe spruced it up a bit they could get away with playing WOWY, but if I had to choose which one I'd prefer to see live it'd be AIWIY, hands down.

In terms of the actual topic question, I'd love to see Bullet the Blue Sky come back. I feel like the break since NLOTH was at the worst possible time for a band like U2, given the whole past five years of the Middle East has essentially been a mix of religious fundamentalism and political change, right up U2's alley. But I've only heard two, maybe three references to the Arab Spring etc. from U2 - their acoustic Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bono's speaking at the end of I'll Go Crazy on some of the performances on tour, and his reference to "the heroes on the streets of Iran" in the intro to Walk On / MLK on the tour. Bullet the Blue Sky would be a perfect way to jump back into it, whether you're talking about the Arab Spring, Russia and the Ukraine or ISIS, as Philaboy said. I'd love to see it make a comeback, but not as the performance of a previous version - each tour where it's been performed has had a different version and message, and the next one should be no different. It's their quintessential anti-violence song, it's spoken out against Neo-Nazis, gun rights groups, the UNSC, America's actions in Central America and has promoted co-existence. It'd be a shame to bench it now, and it should never have been benched in the first place.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
Bullet the Blue Sky would be a perfect way to jump back into it, whether you're talking about the Arab Spring, Russia and the Ukraine or ISIS, as Philaboy said. I'd love to see it make a comeback, but not as the performance of a previous version - each tour where it's been performed has had a different version and message, and the next one should be no different. It's their quintessential anti-violence song, it's spoken out against Neo-Nazis, gun rights groups, the UNSC, America's actions in Central America and has promoted co-existence. It'd be a shame to bench it now, and it should never have been benched in the first place.

If the reason why it should be brought back is that it's their anti-violence song (which I agree it is), you might just as well argue they should bring back Please instead.   Please is just as appropriate to address almost any situation of civil war/conflict, and it's darker and more bitter in tone.

I also think it's more suited to Bono's current singing voice than Bullet.   He needs to play to his strengths.   He may not be able to get up the sheer power he had in the past, but he's got a great deal of nuance, range and flexibility in expressiveness (more so than he did when his voice was at its physical peak), which is something Please can show to better effect than Bullet.

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
I think whether Please or Bullet is better would depend on the venue and 'feel' of the tour. I see Please as a song which would better suit a smaller, more intimate tour, while Bullet would better suit a stadium tour type thing. It'd also depend on the message they were wanting to convey, Please would be more pleading to stop the conflict while Bullet would be slapping them in the face for starting it / not doing anything about it

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
I'd like to see Bullet come back, but played in the album / rattle and hum arrangement. As much as I like the Zoo TV and other versions with the soloing and funky guitar fills, I always liked the "umph" that the album version had live on Rattle and Hum.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.

wasn't AIWIY a staple on 360 final leg?  I heard it a few times...