Author Topic: 2009 DVD release of Point Depot  (Read 4183 times)

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
2009 DVD release of Point Depot
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »
Does anybody else think that this may be a possibility?  In the 18 months or so, U2 have been remastering and re-releasing their older albums: First the 20th anniversary addition of the Joshua Tree, followed this year by the remastered versions of Boy, October, and 25th anniversary editions of War and Under a Bood Red Sky.  Now next year is obviously a possible re-release for The Unforgettable Fire too, but I want to explain my hunch on what may give Point Depot credence as a release.

For starters, with the Deluxe edition of the Joshua Tree came a DVD, Live from Paris.  It's a good concert for sure, but apart from the fact that its one of the rare occassions where Streets was not played and the fact that it was televised, it is otherwise unremarkable, consisting of a standard Joshua Tree Tour setlist.  As we all know, Point Depot was also broadcast over both radio and TV.  The footage obviously exists, as there are videos of the performances on YouTube and some segments in a documentary on One on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD. 

What's more, the New Year's eve concert from Point Depot is also one of the only concerts U2 has released (audio) that people have been able to get without needing to be a member of the fanclub (though it was only available as part of The Complete U2). To my knowledge, the only other instances where U2 has done this are on the 8-track Under a Blood Red Sky, the 4-track iTunes exclusive Live Under Brooklyn Bridge, and the iTunes exclusive Live from Paris; two of these three have either had a full video release or been included on a release.

Finally, the Point Depot is one of the concerts that are truly special in U2's history; it was when Bono gave his infamous "Dream it all up again" speech which led on to Achtung Baby; it welcomed in the New Year; and of course, it's quite possibly the most widely bootlegged U2 concert of all.

So what do you think?  Could we possibly see a DVD release of Live from Point Depot next year, 20 years after it happened?  Possibly with a bonus live video track of Two Hearts Beat as One from the concert before (last performance ever for those trivia nuts, and the first in over four and a half years)?  And if not, what can we expect to see with the potential 25th anniversary edition of The Unforgettable Fire?  Live from Dortmund, perhaps?

Of course I'm well aware that next year will be a cluttered year; what with a new album, a tour, a possible tour DVD, and a possible re-release of The Unforgettable Fire.  But at least Point Depot would be fresh material, unlike The Unforgettable Fire.

Thoughts?

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
Re: 2009 DVD release of Point Depot
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:15:24 AM »
I think the will re-release the Bluray version of RAH along with the remastered Album, and perhaps the Point Depot DVD. Depends if it's any good though...

The Joshua Tree DVD didn't even have a 5.1 mix and i doubt any Point Depot dvd would either. Point Depot doesn't have an album to support it, AB is a completly different thing and RAH had it's own movie. I can't see U2 putting out dvd independent of and album with only a 2.0 mix. Does anyone else remember anything about how they cut a few songs from one of the DVD's so the could fit both the 5.1 mixes as well as the 2.0 mix on the disk because the Edge wanted anyone who bought it to get good value? something like that anyway...

And if we know that pretty much everyone already has the audio from the Point Depot show, U2 would as well, and wouldn't risk releasing the dvd and having it not sell a high number of copies.

That said, if the do release it.. i'll probably buy it, and they know we are suckers for new treats so the probably will!

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
 ;)I think it would be great. But I want to correct something that the original poster said...

The "Dream it all up again" speech did not happen on the New Year's Eve concert. It happened on the night before, which was Dec 30, 1989. I have boots from both of these shows, and the only thing that Bono says on the N.Y.E. show that's even close to that is: "Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud - at high volume."
Nothing about dreaming it all up again, because again, that was on the previous night.  :)

I'm an SOB when it comes to U2  accuracy!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:25:15 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an SOB?  ::)

EDIT:
SON OF A b****! HAHA FIGURED IT OUT!!!  ::) :-\
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:53:56 PM by edgefan89 »

Offline An Cat Gav

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:41:53 AM »
I certainly hope they will release the Point Depot show, I was at one of the othere ones and it was the best non-ZooTv concert I've ever been too.
Lovetown, possibly the golden age of Bono's voice.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
Well now maybe U2 won't officially release the Point Depot show <AMAZING idea, btw> but maybe it could be an unauthorized live dvd like the 1983 Rockpalast i just got at Best Buy. It's basically the UABRS cd, meaning the Rockpalast show is like 5 of the UABRS cd live tracks. I see more of these "unauthorized" dvds popping up all the time, U2 has "Bono-God's Favorite Son", "The Unforgettable Journey" so i think it's more likely Point Depot would be given to us as something like this. But then again, i seriously doubt it would ever happen.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:06:26 AM »
I don't see that happening.

The footage we saw here & there is not very good, the images you're reffering to come from the australian documentary which was much more visual.

A CD release or fan club exclusive ? May be. Not a DVD.

daveyg

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 05:52:32 AM »
;)I think it would be great. But I want to correct something that the original poster said...

The "Dream it all up again" speech did not happen on the New Year's Eve concert. It happened on the night before, which was Dec 30, 1989. I have boots from both of these shows, and the only thing that Bono says on the N.Y.E. show that's even close to that is: "Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud - at high volume."
Nothing about dreaming it all up again, because again, that was on the previous night.  :)

I wasthere on both nights and you are quite correct! And if memory serves me well, Mr. Bono corrected what he said the night before on new years eve.

Offline Mbeede

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »
I hope they do. That would be awesome. Great shows.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »
Was the Point depot filmed? I have never heard of or seen any DVD footage of this concert apart from a couple of snippets. Surely if there was a film of it , it would have appeared in bootleg circles long ago like the offcuts of R and H  ,JT shows in Syracuse, LA .

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
Was the Point depot filmed? I have never heard of or seen any DVD footage of this concert apart from a couple of snippets. Surely if there was a film of it , it would have appeared in bootleg circles long ago like the offcuts of R and H  ,JT shows in Syracuse, LA .

i don't actually think it was filmed.surely if it had it would have been released or somebody would have a copy.i do remember around the time that u2 wanted to show it all around europe but they couldn't get it sorted out .so they just broadcast it over the radio

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »
i would be happy for a good quality video of Running to Stand Still where Bono has a nice back and forth with the audience ("still running" and into Dirty Old Town.)

Offline Mercury

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

Apparently at least some of one night was filmed.

Offline amigan

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
I was also there both on the 30th & 31st.

The cameras filmed the first 2 songs (Streets and I will Follow) for the Pat Kenny show and were shown live on New Years Eve 89.

They then switched the cameras off!!!! I was in the standing area infront of the stage and believe me, the mounted cameras at the back of the standing area and the guys that were ontsage stopped so I can be pretty sure i'm afraid that the rest was not filmed.

For me the 30th was a better performance anyway!

So unless the other 2 nights were filmed you won't be getting any complete show DVD from the Point Depot 89 shows.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
While I wasn't in any show, based on the bootlegs, the 26th (first night) was the best show.  They seemed to have run out of steam by the time they reached the final night or New Year's Eve.

Cheers,

J