Author Topic: X-Factor??  (Read 3822 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: X-Factor??
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wouldn't watch it anyway, but it would be all their credibility down the pan in my view.

Thing is, sadly I can see it happening - I would guess the show gets audiences of 10m plus, and is aimed at pop kids, I can see Bono thinking that is a lot of albums bought at Tescos and The Asda by that audience.....

Didn't Bono and Edge appear on a similar show in the US?...

They don't need the money though do they?

Credibility over cash surely?

They don't need it - But if the opinions of a lot of fans on here are any indicator then they wouldn't be doing it for the cash, they would be doing it because it gets their music out to a wide audience and an audience they want to win over.....

I disagree with that sentiment and hope they keep their dignity, but I wouldn't bet on it. We may be 5 hours or so away from them whoring themselves out to apple again, so anything is possible. All in the name of "reaching people" and "being heard" apparently.....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:04:09 AM »
Is this really that different - there is form, here...

Offline U2 since 82

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 06:11:03 AM »
I wouldn't watch it anyway, but it would be all their credibility down the pan in my view.

Thing is, sadly I can see it happening - I would guess the show gets audiences of 10m plus, and is aimed at pop kids, I can see Bono thinking that is a lot of albums bought at Tescos and The Asda by that audience.....

They don't need it - But if the opinions of a lot of fans on here are any indicator then they wouldn't be doing it for the cash, they would be doing it because it gets their music out to a wide audience and an audience they want to win over.....

I disagree with that sentiment and hope they keep their dignity, but I wouldn't bet on it. We may be 5 hours or so away from them whoring themselves out to apple again, so anything is possible.

I agree but think the whole Apple thing could be more to do with the technology than sales - well I can hope.

I would hate to see the band throw away 30+ years of achievements for the idea that going on a 'pop/chart' show all about manufacturing a music artist will give them some relevance that they just don't need.

U2 are in the twilight of their music career and I hope they go out with some dignity and credibility at least.

The show cares nothing about U2's style of music.
Cowell himself was seen last week smashing up a guitar as he'd heard enough of people auditioning with them FFS!
He just wants the publicity by suggesting he wants U2 on the show.

Offline U2 since 82

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »

Promotion for the Spiderman musical and not a U2 performance so I would say it is different.

BTW is that one of Bono's best entrances - how did he change out of the Spiderman costume so quickly...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »

I disagree with that sentiment and hope they keep their dignity, but I wouldn't bet on it. We may be 5 hours or so away from them whoring themselves out to apple again, so anything is possible.

I agree but think the whole Apple thing could be more to do with the technology than sales - well I can hope.

I would hate to see the band throw away 30+ years of achievements for the idea that going on a 'pop/chart' show all about manufacturing a music artist will give them some relevance that they just don't need.

U2 are in the twilight of their music career and I hope they go out with some dignity and credibility at least.

Cowell himself was seen last week smashing up a guitar as he'd heard enough of people auditioning with them FFS!

I honestly believe that what drove them and got them to where they got to, will ultimately be their demise.

They always wanted to be the biggest, to top the charts, to be all over radio, to sell millions of records and they achieved it through a combination of the ceaseless desire and immense talent.

The thing is though the world they achieved all that in was a very different one to the one they want to do it in now, you could do it more on your own terms, U2 actually became what they became without really fitting in.... Now I think that they believe that they have to (and maybe you do, if you look at how little rock music is making waves at the top end of the charts and on radio) and it is that same desire that they had when they scaled the mountain that will in my view see them go to whatever lengths are necessary in the world we live in today - and sadly that world is influenced hugely by the likes of x-factor and pop idol, and apple.

U2 should be able to step back from all this with their legacy assured and say "No, not for us, we will do our thing, thanks" but they won't because they want to be number 1 - so they will play the game that is required now to get there.....

I don't agree it is right, but I believe it is the case.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 06:25:34 AM »

Promotion for the Spiderman musical and not a U2 performance so I would say it is different.

BTW is that one of Bono's best entrances - how did he change out of the Spiderman costume so quickly...

Hmmm, still going down the lowest common denominator route though, IMO.... The audience that show reached in the US would be a very similar demographic to what the x-factor reaches here, so if they have been willing to do it for Spiderman, they could do it for U2.

I hope not, but I fear they will.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »
In fairness, there are not really any Top of the Pops of the day. Those shows were poppy, but U2 performed on them. More and more bands are performing on those shows for exposure. Even the legends.

10 years ago U2 played on CDUK which was essentially a Saturday kids pop show...for example... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So while this would be annoying... its not unreasonable that they would perform on it. At the end of the day, they have to perform on something and there is not so much out there anymore.

Offline U2 since 82

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »

I honestly believe that what drove them and got them to where they got to, will ultimately be their demise.

They always wanted to be the biggest, to top the charts, to be all over radio, to sell millions of records and they achieved it through a combination of the ceaseless desire and immense talent.

The thing is though the world they achieved all that in was a very different one to the one they want to do it in now, you could do it more on your own terms, U2 actually became what they became without really fitting in.... Now I think that they believe that they have to (and maybe you do, if you look at how little rock music is making waves at the top end of the charts and on radio) and it is that same desire that they had when they scaled the mountain that will in my view see them go to whatever lengths are necessary in the world we live in today - and sadly that world is influenced hugely by the likes of x-factor and pop idol, and apple.

U2 should be able to step back from all this with their legacy assured and say "No, not for us, we will do our thing, thanks" but they won't because they want to be number 1 - so they will play the game that is required now to get there.....

I can kind of live with the 'Apple thing' whatever it maybe IF it's more to do with the technology side.
Of course with it they will be hoping it drives sales too just like any other artist would.
I would much rather they let the music do the talking but I'm guessing they have concerns over the new material, so want to cover all bases as far as sales if they can.
They just don't want another No line on their hands as that would be it IMO.

I'd like to see them release a great album followed by a triumphant tour so they could finish with some sort of dignity intact.

An X Factor performance though would be a step too far for me.
They don't need it.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:18 AM »
I would lose respect for U2 if they did this and blame Guy Oseary for putting it together.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
This is a retread of the same article that was posted a couple months ago. All it says is that Simon wants U2 on his show. I'm surprised that people think they would consider it.

Offline U2 since 82

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
This is a retread of the same article that was posted a couple months ago. All it says is that Simon wants U2 on his show. I'm surprised that people think they would consider it.

I agree.
I also noted in the article he was thinking of Madonna as well.
It's probably Cowell throwing up some  big, big name's to get some publicity for his show.
After all the hype I read that the sunday show lost out in the ratings to Strictly Come Dancing ffs.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
I can see them doing this and feeling like they were mentoring or inspiring a new generation of artists.

PookaMacP

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »

Unfortunately, I think that you're right. Their very ambition requires them to work in this way, but while ambition is no bad thing, it is when it gets in the way of good work.

This pandering to a major corporation is a little sad, really, at this stage.

Also, I don't agree with people that claim that it's just using the platform to get the music heard. The difference between the Apple tie-in and being on a major record label like Universal is that any Apple/Beats deal would force the consumer to register/pay to use that specific product, whereas as long as you had the money to buy an album from Universal or its ilk, you could do so and then the product was yours to keep, without being forced into an on-going relationship with that corporation. The problem, as I see it, is that in addition to the corporatisation of music, it's also the shutting down of choice, and the normalisation of the commercial as part of our everyday lives.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 08:23:03 AM »
Just as Bono has turned down being asked to be a judge on the X-factor, this will be turned down too.
But then again, I was surprised to see Bono and Edge on Americal Idol in 2011

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »
It was a slow process of compromises made over and over again, up to the point of...

Most of you guys are overseas but, honestly, you should see Bono in South of France... This place is the most awful, unpersonal, tacky gathering of has beens & reality shows posers... Seeing our guys in clubs among these people is painful. That's certainly not helping in terms of art & keeping your feet on the ground. I don't see what inspiration they can get from the time  they spend there. Worst place for an artist to be, IMO.

What I mean is that, from this point of view, I think it's easy to forget why X factor is wrong... Because everyone around you is now part of something in the same league...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:34:30 AM by soloyan »