Author Topic: How would you respond to my friend's criticism of U2?  (Read 3984 times)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
Re: How would you respond to my friend's criticism of U2?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How is my friend being hypocritical? ???

If you throw out an opinion - on anything, mind - then you're pretty much putting it up for review and opening a debate, because it's reasonable to assume that someone will disagree. To then claim that there shouldn't be a debate is just a way of getting your opinion out and then shutting down all argument.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 04:50:53 AM »
just let your friend be. U2 cannot make everyone love them. i've been trying to convert my nieces to like U2 but, i always fail ;D they like R&B and pop, jazz. The likes of Jason Mraz, Beyonce, Rihanna, Lifehouse ;D but when i asked them if they would want to come with me to watch U23D, they all went with me! ;D

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 07:58:07 AM »
Subjectivity turned on it's head...

Your friend's generalities are far too simplistic and inaccurate to be considered "objective," if that's the standard he's trying to convey he employs, concerning the quip about art and subjectivity.

A number of inconsistencies should be pointed out in order that your friend glean a proper base from which to criticize, and in that regard, the "argument to antiquity," or the impact on history of a band's work speaks directly to the accuracy of his claims. I'd point out U2's relative popularity until '87, because for all intents and purposes, U2 were still outliers leading up to The Joshua Tree.

And though Bono's comment about being, "a great band in a decade of crap music" has been parroted by many more than just your friend, it has to be said, that the decade wasn't entirely dreadful (New Order,Smiths and the like). It is, from his available definition, an argument from subjectivity. And if the 80's were as bad as has been contended, all the more reason to laud the strength of a band like U2 to produce, survive and thrive in spite of overwhelming commercial obstacle.

Because that's the trick isn't it? Making the complex seem simple.

Argument from authority...Enough quotes from enough of the industry's leading musicians, producers, writers/historians, and at some point, the mountain of evidence has to be acknowledged as more than simply  "a matter of opinion" and more akin to an end point in terms of authenticity. If not, your buddy is standing on a circular argumentative soapbox for the sake of standing on one and is engaged in an argument dying from a thousand qualifications. Subjective though art may be, when there is a collection of subjectivity congregating to conclude upon the same thing, an aspect of objectivity is certainly rendered for reasonable purposes pertaining to normal, rationale human experience in one discipline or another.

I think your friend is correct in respect to personal preference, and that's fine and actually healthy.

It may be helpful to approach, with what at least appears to be your friend's pretense of a more cerebral musical appreciation, with proper context regarding musical history and right apprehension of where U2 started,and the journey leading up to the present.

I'm sure at some point, your friend's music was influenced by Punk Rock.

As a U2 fan, that seems the obvious place to start.

If your friend continues to throw argument against argument than I think for the sake of friendship, you just drop the topic and chalk up the impass as something akin to trying to sell faith to the skeptic.

On a side, I really don't believe anyone when they say that they dislike, "Where The Streets Have No Name..."

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »
I say, "blah blah blah."

Ditch that kid - he's far too serious and needs to lighten up. Find some fun friends who know how to party.

Offline Jagalleg

• Wanderer
  • What time is it on earth?
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »
I say, "blah blah blah."

Ditch that kid - he's far too serious and needs to lighten up. Find some fun friends who know how to party.

WIN!

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
U2 are known for being the whole and not the sum of their parts.

The critics praising U2 has nothing to do with Bono's humanitarian efforts.  U2's biggest selling album, The Joshua Tree, was made before Bono was getting humanitarian.
On the other hand, Bono's humanitarian efforts make him a parody and the butt of everyone's jokes nowadays.  It actually detracts from the music and from having people focus on the music.

U2 win the public based on the merit of their music and how pleasing they are to the ears.  95% of the listening public don't care about chord structures or drum improvisations.  It's just whether the song sounds good or not.  And U2 have always been on the right road in finding that "decent melody."

Cheers,

J

Actually, before JT, Bono was involved with Band Aid and Amnesty International and had traveled to war-torn Central America and Africa.

But I agree with you about the "decent melody" part.

You can't please everyone - don't try to change your friend's mind, HBK - you won't be able to.