Author Topic: My (Long, Probably Self Indulgent) Review of SOI.  (Read 3211 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: My (Long, Probably Self Indulgent) Review of SOI.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't know how I missed this from you, An Tha, I was definitely on the lookout for it. Sleep deprived fog rearing again!   ;)

First, I am so happy for you.  ;)

Second, don't even think about going anywhere, mom said so.

Third, in the 25th hour, Side 1 is making a move, particularly EBW and California.  :o  I'm a bit surprised at myself. Hoping the same for the songs that you find less intriguing.

I'll be looking for your further posts...

You need a kip!

I will do as I am told my dad always told me 'listen to mom' (well mum as was where I grew up)

So I learnt that what mum says goes!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
You and me seriously are thinking the same right now aren't we? Because your reaction to The Troubles was exactly the same as mine. As of right now, I'm still blown away by how gorgeous a song it is. Lykee Li's voice meshes incredibly well with Bono's (his singing is so emotional in this song) and the gentle sweep of the orchestral arrangement behind it. I'd give it a 10/10 without any hesitation.

The rest of the album for me is very very good, with a bunch of 7 and 8 out of 10s, but nothing right now can top Troubles.

You're review was really detailed and done well. And no, it didn't feel self indulgent  ;)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
Don't know how I missed this from you, An Tha, I was definitely on the lookout for it. Sleep deprived fog rearing again!   ;)

Third, in the 25th hour, Side 1 is making a move, particularly EBW and California.  :o  I'm a bit surprised at myself. Hoping the same for the songs that you find less intriguing.

You need a kip!

I will do as I am told my dad always told me 'listen to mom' (well mum as was where I grew up)

Wise man, your dad.  ;)

If a kip is a coffee, I'm obeying as I type. Do I need a kip because of the sleep deprivation or that I find Side 1 tracks moving up in esteem?  8)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »

You need a kip!

Wise man, your dad.  ;)

If a kip is a coffee, I'm obeying as I type. Do I need a kip because of the sleep deprivation or that I find Side 1 tracks moving up in esteem?  8)

I sometimes forget whilst typing that we use such different phrases!

If you have a kip it will cure your sleep deprevation, but instead of putting the kettle on you should put your pyjamas on!

Make sense?  :)

Sleep, just in case you are still wondering!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Great review an tha. Glad you like the album. It is definitely a fresher sounding album than the previous 3. I'm enjoying it too.

@ Argo, i can't really hear the killers similarities at all. I hear the odd black keys/older kings of Leon type riffs, but nothing that sounds like the killers.

It's a very different sounding U2 to me and I'm pleasantly surprised at what I hear.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
You and me seriously are thinking the same right now aren't we? Because your reaction to The Troubles was exactly the same as mine. As of right now, I'm still blown away by how gorgeous a song it is. Lykee Li's voice meshes incredibly well with Bono's (his singing is so emotional in this song) and the gentle sweep of the orchestral arrangement behind it. I'd give it a 10/10 without any hesitation.

The rest of the album for me is very very good, with a bunch of 7 and 8 out of 10s, but nothing right now can top Troubles.

You're review was really detailed and done well. And no, it didn't feel self indulgent  ;)

Ta.

That song really does blow me away...

I am not sure I like all this agreeing though, I might go and pick some fights with people who don't like it  :D

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »

Ta.

I am not sure I like all this agreeing though, I might go and pick some fights with people who don't like it :D

Hearty chortle... Vulture might be a place to start.  ;)

Kip is a nip, that was my other thought. Got it. :)

Nope, the coffee was to stay awake, purposely and purposefully. I've got more listens to get in.  8)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

Ta.

I am not sure I like all this agreeing though, I might go and pick some fights with people who don't like it :D

Nope, the coffee was to stay awake, purposely and purposefully. I've got more listens to get in.  8)

4 today for me.

Still not feeling California or song for someone...

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »

Ta.

4 today for me.

What's your weather like right now?

Song for Someone has yo yo'ed for me. Today, it's pretty good.

Offline tracmic

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
Great review, Thank you

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
an tha

What a brilliant post. I share your views on the album, I agree with most of the scores you give each individual song, and like you, Im back on board the good ship U2. They lost me (not totally because I think Cedars of Lebanon, Soon and the Linear version of Winter are outstanding) after NLOTH, I really cannot play that album anymore. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are also tough to listen to but there are few bright moments.

SOI is fresh sounding to me also. The concept of the album, and the possibility of one or two more albums being part of the journey U2 are on at present excites and intrigues me.

an tha, you are great to have around here, and you and I probably agree on U2's back catalogue for the most part. I love reading your posts.

Stick around, because if the announce an arena tour, ill wet my pants.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 03:23:18 AM »

Ta.

4 today for me.

What's your weather like right now?

Song for Someone has yo yo'ed for me. Today, it's pretty good.

I live in England - the weather is always grim!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 03:24:19 AM »
an tha

What a brilliant post. I share your views on the album, I agree with most of the scores you give each individual song, and like you, Im back on board the good ship U2. They lost me (not totally because I think Cedars of Lebanon, Soon and the Linear version of Winter are outstanding) after NLOTH, I really cannot play that album anymore. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are also tough to listen to but there are few bright moments.

SOI is fresh sounding to me also. The concept of the album, and the possibility of one or two more albums being part of the journey U2 are on at present excites and intrigues me.

an tha, you are great to have around here, and you and I probably agree on U2's back catalogue for the most part. I love reading your posts.

very kind of you!

u2 at the echo..... that would be boss!!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
an tha

very kind of you!

Yup, for that one I would fly all the way back home from Alaska  ;)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
an tha

very kind of you!

Yup, for that one I would fly all the way back home from Alaska  ;)

I'll be in The Croc with a pint waiting!  ;)