Author Topic: My (Long, Probably Self Indulgent) Review of SOI.  (Read 3190 times)

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
Re: My (Long, Probably Self Indulgent) Review of SOI.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
An tha,

For the most part, I often find myself agreeing with your posts, probably 85 to 90% of the time.

You summed up a lot of what I was feeling about the past couple of albums, and definitely OL.

This almost brought a tear to my eye at one point . Damn anxiety meds!

Seriously though, this album, while maybe not a masterpiece, is solid. That is all I really dared to hope for. I'll take it.

Offline U2boy14

• Wanderer
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »
Good thoughts.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An tha,

For the most part, I often find myself agreeing with your posts, probably 85 to 90% of the time.

You summed up a lot of what I was feeling about the past couple of albums, and definitely OL.

This almost brought a tear to my eye at one point . Damn anxiety meds!

Seriously though, this album, while maybe not a masterpiece, is solid. That is all I really dared to hope for. I'll take it.

Quietly, I think every U2 fan feels this way, even those that hate SOI. Myself being a Pop, Achtung Baby and Zooropa lover knew deep down that re-producing records like that will never happen again for U2. After the mediocrity of the last three albums, I myself am pleased they released a solid album that I really can enjoy listening to.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 12:52:54 AM »
Good review, an tha. Before I came across it I was toying with starting a thread asking the '90s fans specifically what they thought of SOI (I had you, Zoost, and U2 Fan of the '90s in mind in particular).

I agree with you that Side B (i.e., the Dangermouse Side) is far more interesting than Side A. California has absolutely nothing going for it, either lyrically or vocally, EBW disappoints, SFS is good but syrupy, and Iris is really a more interesting version of City of Blinding Lights (I still dig it though).

The standouts for me are The Miracle, Cedarwood Rd, Volcano, Reach Me Now, SLAB, and The Troubles (sorry, but I refuse to call the songs by their full titles. Deal with it!).

Here's what keeps me scratching my head: This U2 album is absolutely nothing like what I wanted, but I can't stop listening to it over, and over again.

Offline jack@forte

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »
Exile,out of interest what type of album were you looking for if you would be so kind?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 04:01:11 AM »
Exile,out of interest what type of album were you looking for if you would be so kind?

Something electronic or industrial, hearkening back to their Zoo-era stuff while still remaining future-focused.

Consider me extremely happily-disappointed....

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 04:26:05 AM »

Something electronic or industrial, hearkening back to their Zoo-era stuff while still remaining future-focused.

Consider me extremely happily-disappointed....

The last third of the album hearkens right back to Pop. I lurve Pop! SLABT sounds like another version of Wake Up Dead Man and The Troubles is Please version 2 or SBS version 3. SLABT has some of Bono's best vocals and lyrics in donkey years. I never expected U2 to directly, or indirectly, revisit Pop like that.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 04:47:12 AM »
Miracle is another song I'm really starting to enjoy.

Btw, I keep hearing about references to the troubles in ireland concerning the song the troubles. I thought the song had nothing to do with the irish troubles, but troubles inside a person's head. Don't see the irish troubles link at all in the song.

Offline jack@forte

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2014, 05:15:56 AM »
Thanks Exile.Yours are one of the opinions I look out for most on here.I think you give a fair critique of the music although I don't always agree it's usually interesting.
I was looking for something similar myself.Achtung is the high benchmark for me and if they get close to that sonically and lyrically then i'm a happy bunny.The main thing I'm thankful for is that SOI is not awash with collaborations with people who are in the charts.They have kept their musical integrity when some of the rhetoric and rumours(Dre) suggested otherwise.
They've passed the first part of the equation.The next will be what they do live.I really hope these songs get the airing that they deserve.I hope some of the old warhorses just die or get relegated as snippets.
Hopefully they'll have SOE to pick from by the time the tour starts.A scaled down show with more focus on music rather than visuals for a change would be welcome.They didn't need it years ago when they were on the way to becoming the biggest band in the world.They have such a vast catalogue that merits an airing.That should be the talking point of the tour.I want to go to a show not knowing what old songs we're going to get.Sorry I'm off at a tangent here.
Main thing for now is I'm loving the album (along with many others...thankfully!)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments all!

I feel my review was too soon really to properly articulate about the songs, but I wanted to articulate my happiness at what I had heard.

Having listened to the album now about a dozen times I can say I largely feel the same about it and the songs as I did when writing the review - music is pretty immediate for me...

Still not feeling California or Song for Someone, but EBW has grown on me, only criticism of the song is its just a bit sugary for what could be e real heartbreaker if it was a bit rawer....

Love sleep like a baby, a sinister track that draws me in.

The Troubles is stunning, the haunting Lykee Li vocal is beautiful and Bono sounds great too.

Volcano reminds me of Franz Ferdinand or early Bunnymen - love it.

Raised by Wolves gets better with every listen, and here is the real revelation for me.... I can't get The Miracle out my head... It might be a bit big, dumb and daft, but it's just loose, rock n roll and it has a charm that previous songs in the same vein from the boys haven't had, hard to explain but it just works for me.

Overall the album is a revelation for me and it has re-ignited my love for the band.

I was explaining to a pal the other day that record is like a girl you meet in a bar, she isn't the best looking in the room, she isn't even the most smart, she isn't what you would normally describe as your 'type' but she just has 'it' and the more time you spend talking to her and listening to her the more you like her.

This isn't u2's best record by a long shot, but I believe it is their best post Pop, and the best I could have hoped for.

It is also has more depth than maybe is obvious, the band sound fresh and energised and have for me harnessed all their best qualities, and avoided their worst being prominent.

It's a triumph, an unlikely one, but a triumph

The biggest compliment I can pay it is that I have been unable to listen to it today and won't be able to until late tonight (family and footy take over on a Saturday and my 4 year old isn't ready for u2, yet!) and I am missing it......
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:56:33 AM by an tha »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
I was explaining to a pal the other day that record is like a girl you meet in a bar, she isn't the best looking in the room, she isn't even the most smart, she isn't what you would normally describe as your 'type' but she just has 'it' and the more time you spend talking to her and listening to her the more you like her.

Love this!!

I commiserate w/ you about the listening today, but enjoy your family time! I, on the other hand, am nearly an empty nester today, at least until about 4pm. Guess what I am doing? Ha! No need to guess, right?  ;)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments all!

I feel my review was too soon really to properly articulate about the songs, but I wanted to articulate my happiness at what I had heard.

Having listened to the album now about a dozen times I can say I largely feel the same about it and the songs as I did when writing the review - music is pretty immediate for me...

Still not feeling California or Song for Someone, but EBW has grown on me, only criticism of the song is its just a bit sugary for what could be e real heartbreaker if it was a bit rawer....

Love sleep like a baby, a sinister track that draws me in.

The Troubles is stunning, the haunting Lykee Li vocal is beautiful and Bono sounds great too.

Volcano reminds me of Franz Ferdinand or early Bunnymen - love it.

Raised by Wolves gets better with every listen, and here is the real revelation for me.... I can't get The Miracle out my head... It might be a bit big, dumb and daft, but it's just loose, rock n roll and it has a charm that previous songs in the same vein from the boys haven't had, hard to explain but it just works for me.

Overall the album is a revelation for me and it has re-ignited my love for the band.

This isn't u2's best record by a long shot, but I believe it is their best post Pop, and the best I could have hoped for.

It is also has more depth than maybe is obvious, the band sound fresh and energised and have for me harnessed all their best qualities, and avoided their worst being prominent.

It's a triumph, an unlikely one, but a triumph

The biggest compliment I can pay it is that I have been unable to listen to it today and won't be able to until late tonight (family and footy take over on a Saturday and my 4 year old isn't ready for u2, yet!) and I am missing it......

I Feel EXACTLY the same way  :D