Author Topic: Rolling Stone Gives 5 Stars!  (Read 3865 times)

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
Re: Rolling Stone Gives 5 Stars!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
I love U2's music more than the next guy, but I wouldn't give the album 5 stars. The only albums that I would give 5 stars to would be:

JTree, ABaby, POP (yes, POP), ATYCLB

This album would get 4 maaaaaybe 4 1/2, but I'm not 100% sure. 5 Stars is an album that is complete and a masterpiece. While SOI is certainly one of their most complete albums, it falls a little short of being a masterpiece IMHO.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well considering you get journals like Ptichfork overrating every single Radiohead album, I'm sure another journal is allowed to big up U2.

Pitchfork actually reported on the U2 album release. I would be much more surprised if they review it though. They also posted a rehash of today's Rolling Stone article of Lykke Li and her experience in the studio with U2.

Offline dzuk

• Babyface
  • N2 Negative Nelly
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
After only listening for such a short period I'd say 4, but far and away better overall as an album than anything that came out in the 00s

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
Whether the album is deemed good or bad by a listener, Rolling Stone giving the album 5 stars is definitely an example of their bias towards the band

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
RS gave NLOTH 5 stars, but later backed it down to 4.

I believe they gave UF a lower rating at first, then raised it.

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
This is the same mag that gave MickJagger's Goddess In The Doorway 5 stars....

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »
This is the same mag that gave MickJagger's Goddess In The Doorway 5 stars....
Well........he IS a Rolling Stone.  ;)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
The question was always whether it would be 4 or 5, just as the Pitchfork question is how low they can go. But it's just not at all true to say they give every new U2 album five stars upon release; NLOTH was their first ever for U2.

Now Bruce on the other hand they really do give 5 stars to upon release almost every time.

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »

Wow, really? Did they just kind of happen on the sly, or were they public about it? That's a pretty crap practice, unless they revisited it publicly.

I think music critics are valuable, to be honest. They generally do what they do because they care about music. Sure there are some posers, or haters with axes to grind. But on the whole, it's nice to have them as part of the conversation. They're not the be all and end all, or anything.

It's hard for me to say whether the album is 4 or 5 stars, because only time will tell if it's a lasting classic. But I feel like it's a very strong album.

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Regardless of whether they are biased or not, it's probably the biggest album reviewer and to the lay person very influential.

olimar

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »

Wow, really? Did they just kind of happen on the sly, or were they public about it? That's a pretty crap practice, unless they revisited it publicly.

I think music critics are valuable, to be honest. They generally do what they do because they care about music. Sure there are some posers, or haters with axes to grind. But on the whole, it's nice to have them as part of the conversation. They're not the be all and end all, or anything.

It's hard for me to say whether the album is 4 or 5 stars, because only time will tell if it's a lasting classic. But I feel like it's a very strong album.

When awarding marks out of 10 for each player in a football match, most journos start with a particular figure (usually a 5 or a 6) and then work up or down as the match progresses. It strikes me that is probably the right way to approach scoring a U2 album, because it means it can only obtain a really strong score over a period of time and nobody can get too carried away on initial listen.

As it is, the first listen, I realised that there were barely any tracks that I instantly didnt like that much,  which is a very good start, and quite a few that I really liked, particularly towards the end. So, Im at a 3.5 out of 5 so far, but pushing a 4.
For reference, Id say that NLOTH grew on me up to about a 4 around the time of the tour(s), but had probably dropped to a 3 and its score has probably reduced to a 2.5 this week on the basis of the marked improvement in the album thats followed it.

meximofo

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
^ Sorry to go off-topic, but: are you a Pikmin, fan, Olimar?

olimar

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
^ Sorry to go off-topic, but: are you a Pikmin, fan, Olimar?

Brilliant. Ive used this username on a different forum (football) for maybe 10 years and only earlier this year did someone actually pick up on the Pikmin connection.
Yet, on here, Ive posted about 5 times and someone has mentioned it!

Yeah, I was playing it at the time and it seemed a good choice for a username.

meximofo

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
Aha! I'm a Nintendo fan, I know their IPs. There's Pikmin 3 now, I don't know if you've checked it. Olimar kicked ass in Smash Bros Brawl too.
Anyway, carry on, folks.

olimar

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »
Aha! I'm a Nintendo fan, I know their IPs. There's Pikmin 3 now, I don't know if you've checked it. Olimar kicked ass in Smash Bros Brawl too.
Anyway, carry on, folks.
Pikmin 2 was really good, never played 3 though. Gamecube was my first and only Nintendo console, I was totally blown away by how well done everything was.

Sorry, yeah, carry on everyone.