Author Topic: Rolling Stone Gives 5 Stars!  (Read 3866 times)

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
Re: Rolling Stone Gives 5 Stars!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love U2's music more than the next guy, but I wouldn't give the album 5 stars. The only albums that I would give 5 stars to would be:

JTree, ABaby, POP (yes, POP), ATYCLB

This album would get 4 maaaaaybe 4 1/2, but I'm not 100% sure. 5 Stars is an album that is complete and a masterpiece. While SOI is certainly one of their most complete albums, it falls a little short of being a masterpiece IMHO.

I'd give TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa, and ATYCLB all 5s.  I think this one is 4.5 and I put it just behind that group but ahead of Pop, HTDAAB, and NLOTH and equal to Boy and War.  R&H always fills the space for worst U2 album because it's such a mish mosh.

Offline Fortitude78

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
Well at least this Rolling Stone review is more objective than the review they did for No Line on the Horizon (which they also gave 5 stars).

Innocence craps all over No Line in so many ways - it is worthy of much higher praise - although I'm still not sure it's a 5-star effort - I give it 4 - but am loving it :)

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
I love U2's music more than the next guy, but I wouldn't give the album 5 stars. The only albums that I would give 5 stars to would be:

This album would get 4 maaaaaybe 4 1/2, but I'm not 100% sure. 5 Stars is an album that is complete and a masterpiece. While SOI is certainly one of their most complete albums, it falls a little short of being a masterpiece IMHO.

I'd give TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa, and ATYCLB all 5s.  I think this one is 4.5 and I put it just behind that group but ahead of Pop, HTDAAB, and NLOTH and equal to Boy and War.  R&H always fills the space for worst U2 album because it's such a mish mosh.

My friend keeps saying that he would rate UF 5 stars and I simply can't get myself to do so. Its not a complete album in my opinion and although the songs seemed to have grown significantly in concert (BAD, A Sort of Homecoming, and Pride) I just feel that all of them sound pretty flat on the album.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 05:43:26 PM »
"In "Iris (Hold Me Close)," Bono sings to his mother, who died when he was 14, through a tangle of fondness and still-desperate yearning, in outbreaks of dreamy neo-operatic ascension over a creamy sea of keyboards and Clayton's dignified-disco bass figure. "You took me by the hand/I thought I was leading you," Bono recalls in a kind of embarrassed bliss. "But it was you who made me your man/Machine," he adds a playful shotgun reference to his youthful poetic conceit in Boy's "Twilight" ("In the shadows boy meets man") and his wife Ali. The teenage Bono once gave her Kraftwerk's The Man-Machine as a gift while they were dating"

Interesting.

Didn't know that till now. So who told them this? Bono?

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »

My friend keeps saying that he would rate UF 5 stars and I simply can't get myself to do so. Its not a complete album in my opinion and although the songs seemed to have grown significantly in concert (BAD, A Sort of Homecoming, and Pride) I just feel that all of them sound pretty flat on the album.

Very much agree.  The songs are very flat on Unforgettable Fire.  I NEVER listen to the album version of Bad (Does anyone?).  The Wide Awake In America version is the definitive version.  From the song we hear on UF, I may never have given Bad a chance.  Also, half of that album is crap; Elvis Ate America, 4th of July, Indian Summer Sky... these are unfinished pieces that need to be worked into something real, and there isn't enough interesting stuff in those songs to be worth the effort, save a snippet here or there.  This album ranks near the bottom of U2's catalog for me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:17:10 AM by scrittoresabino »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 11:04:01 PM »
5 stars? Def AB and JT, probably UF and Zooropa.

4 stars to Soi

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 11:28:13 PM »
The songs are very flat on Unforgettable Fire.  I NEVER listen to the album version of Bad (Does anyone?).  The Wide Awake In America version is the definitive version.  From the song we hear on UF, I may never have given Bad a chance.  Also, half of that album is crap; Elvis Ate America, 4th of July, Indian Summer Sky... these are unfinished pieces that need to be worked into something real, and there isn't enough interesting stuff in those songs to be worth the effort, save a snippet here or there.  This album ranks near the bottom of U2's catalog for me.

smh

(sorry, I don't want to derail this thread but really?!!!   I listen to the album version of Bad -- and the rest of UF -- very often.   It's probably the album I play most often.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:31:15 PM by Velvet Dress »

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
Unforgettable fire is anything but flat it's a U2 classic (IMHO).

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
UF and Zooropa are the 2 that really opened my eyes to how deep and amazing U2's discography is. That they were more than the "JT/AB" band but even the albums you'd never once heard of <Zooropa> contain some of their best work.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
+ 1

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 12:41:50 AM »
This review is not surprising. Fricke has always liked their work.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 01:18:45 AM »
The songs are very flat on Unforgettable Fire.  I NEVER listen to the album version of Bad (Does anyone?).  The Wide Awake In America version is the definitive version.  From the song we hear on UF, I may never have given Bad a chance.  Also, half of that album is crap; Elvis Ate America, 4th of July, Indian Summer Sky... these are unfinished pieces that need to be worked into something real, and there isn't enough interesting stuff in those songs to be worth the effort, save a snippet here or there.  This album ranks near the bottom of U2's catalog for me.

smh

(sorry, I don't want to derail this thread but really?!!!   I listen to the album version of Bad -- and the rest of UF -- very often.   It's probably the album I play most often.)

Sorry to hate on UF.... love love love that first half though  :)

Offline u2chamonix

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »
My list, 5 stars has not changed in many many years. For the others it tends to change a bit.

5*
The Unforgettable fire
The Joshua tree
Achtung baby
Pop

4*
Boy
Zooropa
All that you can't leave behind
No line on the horizon
War
Rattle & Hum
Even though it is far too early, i would give SOI a 4 star. (+)

3*
October
How to dismantle atomic bob

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 02:51:35 AM »
Any chance of an m2 review when this has all been properly digested?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »
Rolling Stones called ATYCLB U2's third masterpiece.

They usually know what they are talking about.  As with all new releases, only time will tell.

Cheers,

J