Author Topic: Hello. This is my U2 history  (Read 621 times)

Offline mandylin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Hello. This is my U2 history
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
I discovered U2 at my teens, somewhere around 2000 I was 14 years old.  I was a regular teenager, not popular not a complete looser, I was in the middle of everything but at the same time in the middle of nowhere when it came at being socially active or cool like the other kids. I was just like all the other teens at the time all about Britney, Nsync, Backstreet Boys etc. Whatever was on MTV(back on the days where they actually played videos) that was consider to be cool among the other girls at my class. Somehow it all felt very unexciting. I constantly tried to find something deeper on those artist something I could connect with, someone who just wasn’t so happy and perfect, something to explain how I felt when I was going trough my parents divorce and my older sister rebellion against it . It didn’t connect to anything I was listening to at the time. I was just looking for someone to tell me the truth something a bit like “Well this sucks it really sucks that your whole family is falling apart, that your dad is gone and has been gone even before he divorce your mom, and that now your sister has found a way to rebel herself against this and has decided to go down the wrong path, and mom well mom will be alright she is a survivor and so are you”. Now looking back on it I was more worried about mom than anybody. I found myself many times trying to tell her that we were going to be alright but at 14 words of wisdom don’t come so easily and then at that point where I was looking for words to encourage the greatest woman I know I heard on the radio Stuck on a Moment, this was a revelation and a challenge, first time I heard this song I had not a single clue about who was this “new” band but something about it made me feel safe like someone out there was reaching out to me, then I became obsesses with understanding the lyrics, Spanish was the only language I knew at the time and I needed to find out what was this guy saying on that song that became my personal anthem at the moment, so I took a English- Spanish dictionary from my school and somehow found the lyrics to the song and word by word put it all together. It was the most amazing thing I have ever heard, it was exactly what I wanted to tell my mother at that time so I wrote it down and gave it to her in a letter saying this has helped me trough all of these, I hope it does the same for you. She cried but that was the last time I saw my mom beat herself down about what was happening, after this she took herself back in control and things got better, we were not longer Stuck in a Moment that we couldn’t get out of. It was brilliant. Am no longer 14, at 28 now I still find myself in every U2 song, I keep them by my side like personal confidents like only they know where I have been, I sometimes leave them behind like a whole bunch of pictures you keep on your computer but you never look at, but I always find my way back and it feels just like talking to an old friend. It was this old friend kind of feeling that made me upset today when I was reading some bad comments about people not wanting to have a whole bunch of old guys on their IClouds or that the band should pull the cord already and let the new generation to come along, I was truly enraged it screw up my entire afternoon, the though that this great gift of music was being so underappreciated was a punch down my stomach, basically the soundtrack of my life was being trash, but then I tough if maybe just maybe somebody out there that has not ever heard of U2 another 14 year old like I was when I discovered them love it then it was worth to share my personal confidants to an unknown world. These song need to be heard, deserve to be heard and now form a part of my journey and I will carry them with me always.

My name is Amanda and I am a U2 fan.

meximofo

Re: Hello. This is my U2 history
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
¡Hola Amanda! Thank you so much for sharing your story here. It's amazing how U2 can really speak that personally to all of us and we take them in our journey as part of our family. I'm glad to know that you and your mom are in control of your life.
  These are great days to be a U2 fan and to join this forum to discuss this amazing new album. By the way, where are you from? My native tongue is Spanish too, ¡bienvenida!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Hello. This is my U2 history
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
Well, it seems you were drawn to U2 through tough circumstances, but you did come to the right place....this is way better than therapy......welcome to the best U2 forum out there