Author Topic: Does Bono use the "n" word in Elvis Ate America?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
Re: Does Bono use the "n" word in Elvis Ate America?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 02:19:02 AM »
^^^ haha busted...nice one

andyt

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Dude, that word is never cool, in whatever context it's used, especially as flippantly as it is employed in Passengers.

That's a bit of a simple perspective isn't it?

Black and white rappers use it in all sorts of contexts. Patti Smith wrote 'Rock n roll ******'. She's a white musician. The Stones have used it. Even someone as saintly and perfect as Bono has used it.

Obviously if it's being used as a term of abuse it's a disgrace but there is a time and a place for all words...

daveyg

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 02:44:51 AM »
It's contextual. It's doen't represent Bono's view on black people - doubt if he has  "a view". It was a reference to Elvis in the 50s etc as outlined above. It is used by rappers all the time so it's not a blanket ban on all artists, albeit a no no for average day to day talk by non-black people.

Yes he used the n-word, but in context, I don't think it was an issue. In much the same way as "Paddy" might be used to describe Irish people in the UK. I'd find that offensive under certain circumstance but if by chance it was used by Bono in a song along the lines of "I'm a Paddy in London", tch. *shrug shoulders*.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:03:04 AM by daveyg »

andyt

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 02:57:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's contextual. It's doen't represent Bono's view on black people - doubt if he has  "a view". It was a reference to Elvvis in the 50s etc as outlined above. It is used by rappers all the time so it's not a blanket ban on all artists, albeit a no no for average day to day talk by non-black people.

Yes he used the n-word, but in context, I don't think it was an issue. In much the same way as "Paddy" might be used to describe Irish people in the UK. I'd find that offensive under certain circumstance but if by chance it was used by Bono in a song along the lined of "I'm a Paddy in London", tch. *shrug shoulders*.

The Pogues use slang terms all the time:

'Now you'll sing a song of liberty for blacks and paks and jocks'

'And you decked some f***ing blackshirt who was cursing all the yids'

'You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot'

It's all about context, kids!

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 07:53:56 AM »
This is a great example on how a word can lose all of it's meaning just because of the pejorative use that some people started to do years ago.  This word was the right way to call blacn people before that...