Author Topic: Larry in SOI  (Read 2858 times)

Offline ZooDrums

• Babyface
Larry in SOI
« on: September 16, 2014, 04:44:30 AM »
Before this album i thought that Larry had pretty much had it, with his injuries and age i thought he'd be pretty ordinary on the new album (not that he was bad in recent albums), but he sounds fast, tidy and solid. He really shines in this album, I reckon the old Larry is back.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Larry in SOI
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:39:43 AM »
I'd probably agree and I think Adam has taken the bass to a whole new level too

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:11:09 AM »
This album belongs to Larry and Adam

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
The rhythm section sounds great, but I wouldn't say he's doing things much differently from earlier on. He's still good and delivers what is needed.

Adam however is just excellent and great fun to hear. He surprised me more than Edge. Cedarwood Road's verse part is just great. TIWYCRMN is also quite fun.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »
I agree Larry is solid on this record a minor pet peev I have with U2 records after ATYCLB is the way Larry's drums are mixed they are pushing him to far in the back. I want to hear his snare SNAP his bass drum POP a more in your face drum approach would be a (re)welcome change.

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • looking for a way up
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »
Yeah I was wondering if they were playing some of their older songs slower these days due to Larry's injuries, but I'm the same, I'm loving how energetic Larry sounds on the new album, easily matching the pace of Boy.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
Larry sounds great. I was a little anxious as his performances in both "Ordinary Love" and "Invisible" were random... I still wonder if "Invisible" actually has him playing or just programing.

Anyway, it sounds like he got the better of the electronic drum kit and now personalizes his own sounds. This is good news.

Offline ehtaerb

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The rhythm section sounds great, but I wouldn't say he's doing things much differently from earlier on. He's still good and delivers what is needed.

Adam however is just excellent and great fun to hear. He surprised me more than Edge. Cedarwood Road's verse part is just great. TIWYCRMN is also quite fun.

+1

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 01:34:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Larry sounds great. I was a little anxious as his performances in both "Ordinary Love" and "Invisible" were random... I still wonder if "Invisible" actually has him playing or just programing.

Anyway, it sounds like he got the better of the electronic drum kit and now personalizes his own sounds. This is good news.

Do we know which songs he used an e-drumkit on?

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:37 AM »
To my ears, it sounds like this :

e-drumkit, a definite YES : Troubles, EBW, TIWYCRMN, California
e-drumkit, not 100% sure because it sounds like an acoustic kit, but I believe Larry uses electronic kits for these sounds too : Miracle, Volcano, Iris, cedarwood, Raised by Wolves
Acoustic drumkit (although I'd have to check what the high-end e-stuff can produce) : Sleep like a baby tonight, Song for Someone

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
Even low end e-drum kits  (now you can get one for about $400, kinda cool) use samples, which can be anything from well recorded high end acoustic drums, famous '80s drum machines, kitchenware banging on pots and kettles, and anything else really, doesn't even need to be a percussive sound I figure.

That's why I asked if we know he used an e-kit, as if it was only a convenience thing, or they wanted flexibility in sound sculpting, it could actually sound indistinguishable from his own acoustic drums with all the pro engineers handling mixes...

I personally don't mind if it isn't an acoustic kit he's playing, but so far didn't actively listen to the drums on SOI.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
It started as a convenience. The other band members wanted a volume control.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »
:-)

Offline Zaphod

• Stateless
  • Dances with wolves
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 05:03:08 AM »
White As Snow was played on an edrum. Get on your boots too. I dont think it was used on this album. Just that the snare sounds so 'dry' on this one doesnt mean its electric. Just a different way of tuning and recoring and producing.

Offline flopro

• Party Girl/Boy
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 06:11:38 AM »
I agree Larry is definitely back on form on this album, seeing him play these songs live will be interesting! Also Adam his some kick ar*e bass riffs on this one! It's like Edge has taken a step back and said "Come on guys, it's your time to shine!"  :D