Author Topic: Next time - Eno and Lanois Only....I hope Lillywhite misses the bus.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
Imho: The Eno and Lanois tracks are by far the best on the album.  U2 at it's most adventurous.  U2 releasing the 'safety net' a little.  Lillywhite, on this album, is still trying too hard to make radio friendly number one hits....that most likely won't make number one.  I would love an entire album with just Eno and Lanois.  I think it would be extremely interesting.  This album is as good as anything they've done in years.....just how good could it be?   

andyt

Re: Next time - Eno and Lanois Only....I hope Lillywhite misses the bus.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Imho: The Eno and Lanois tracks are by far the best on the album.  U2 at it's most adventurous.  U2 releasing the 'safety net' a little.  Lillywhite, on this album, is still trying too hard to make radio friendly number one hits....that most likely won't make number one.  I would love an entire album with just Eno and Lanois.  I think it would be extremely interesting.  This album is as good as anything they've done in years.....just how good could it be?   

Yes, he's a bit 80's whereas the best U2 songs come from a more experimental angle...

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »

Right on.  I agree one-hundred percent.  

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
I'm sick to death of reading this u2 going safe, u2 sounding too u2 like, they are u2 for christsakes, they can do what they like!

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »
I'm sick to death of reading this u2 going safe, u2 sounding too u2 like, they are u2 for christsakes, they can do what they like!

Easy turbo - I never said that they sound too u2 like.  I said Lillywhites production tries too hard to be radio friendly.  I never said they can't do what they like.  I merely suggested a theme for possible conversation based on my opinion.  Relax.  Take a deep breath....I like u2 just as much as you do.  I think the album is of exceptional quality.  I think the adventurous u2 is better then the safe u2.  I think we're all smart enough to realize what is meant when words describe u2 as adventurous or safe.  It's a generalization yes, but it's simple conversation.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
What's wrong with being radio friendly? Crazy tonight is a joyful soaring song and stand up is a new direction with flashes of zep and cream

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
Totally disagree.  U2 is a lot of different sounds, and while some of their best stuff is brought out by Eno and Lanois, they also can becoming cloying and over produced sometimes.  Here, I felt like some of these tunes would have been a lot better with less staples of Eno in particular -- there's some very heavy synths and keyboards, as well as overly chorused-multitracking Bono, that I take as Eno hallmarks and imho would have been better without.  That said, I agree, Enois does great stuff with U2, but I also love the starker Lillywhite tracks. 

I hope they all keep working together in different mixes and at different times.  It's all U2 music and it's all good.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:45:09 PM »

i'm feeling moody about this album. Magnificent and MOS are going to be up there with U2's best. No Line might be a better song than Zoo Station (although I love the sound of Zoo Station and some of the lines are brilliant. hmm debatable. Zoo Station is a better opener though. It's actually just as good an opener as say, The Beatles 'Magical Mystery Tour'.) Unknown Caller sounds wonderful but I'm frustrated with the lyrics. I can' tell if they're brilliant or U2's next commercial for their new Iphone. " I can see it now "Restart-Reboot Yourself-You're Free To Go!" - The new U2 "Unknown Caller iphone!" Still a great song though.

Then we've got "Crazy Tonight" which I want to HATE, and I find myself liking it. weird. I don't like that direction though. But I love they manage to put a slight Middle Eastern flavor into a radio pop song. It is brilliant but what an ego. I can hear Bono saying "See, we can even make this kind of song sound good!". But, do we want that? Still, it's a good single and people who don't like U2 will probably like this. Though a few ladies with feathered & teased High hair and mid cut shirts will be disappointed when they show up to what they thought was a Bon Jovi concert.

Stand Up is another song I want to hate...and I actually like it. b*star*s. Dunno...U2 doing Led Zep but opening up for Fall Out Boy? Another Radio song. But, will The Jonas Brothers' fans buy it? Maybe next year The Jonas Brothers will perform with U2 at the Grammy's and they can shout "Go head Edge..show'em what you got!" like they did with Steview Wonder and the 40 musicians who tried to convince you that the Jonas Brothers were actually playing those instruments. Do we want that?

White As Snow is a wonderful surprise! Not that I want a whole album like this from U2 but I want surprises like this once in a while. Could have ended the album.

Breathe - I really like it, but what was I hearing in the Beach Clips that I like more? I heard it differently in my head I guess. It seems just a little forced (hate that word sorry...I've heard people overuse it), and tight. I think it could be the tempo...it's a little locked. it wants to burst out of it. It's kind of like seeing Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal trying to bust out of a straight jacket unsuccessfully. But it's still a killer (sorry couldn't resist).

Cedars of Lebanon - Wants (or I want it to) to kind of end the album like "Love is Blindness, but instead we get a little more resemblance to "wake Up Dead Man"? Not so much in Bono antics but in the quiet tension.

Fez-Being Born/Being Born - Love it. Maybe U2 should do a full album like this step forward from the Passengers album. Too bad they'd alienate 70% of their fans and kill record sales.

Boots: I think Bono loves Frank Sinatra so much, that he's been trying to find a way to do that Nancy Sinatra "These Boots are Made For Walking" song . It's got that swagger with some kind of '70's glam rock, and Middle Eastern textures. It has so many dizzying ideas in one song. It feels like a 7 minute song in 3 minutes, whereas 'MOS' actually feels like 3 mins...and is well, 7.

I love the various sources of inspiration. Even Bach appears in "Magnificent", (Bach's Magnificat perhaps) and I think in the beginning of 'MOS'. Bach was obsessed with the number "3" and put lots of triplets in his music, referring to (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). "MOS" is the 3rd song on the album. "Unknown Caller":  Lot's of numbers in the lyrics to...'3:33 numbers falling off the clockface'. Perhaps ending MOS at 7 minutes is significant....(7) is also an important number. Breathe: "16th of June 9:05" hmm..16+(June+6 month) +9 +5 = 36. (3) being a Holy number and 6 an evil one. Maybe that's over-analyzing. "3" is significant on this album. And, that makes sense. Any further significance of June 16th, 9:05AM? Time is a huge theme on this album. I think a bigger theme than Day/Night. "No Line" - Time is irrelevant, non-linear. Then she put her tongue in my ear". lol.  :P Great line.

it's an awesome album. Lot's of depth. There's more to this than meets the eye, err.. ear. I want to cringe on "Stand Up" and "Crazy" but even they are decent tracks.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »
Ah, I am here to give Steve Lillywhite some love!! He means a lot to some of us older fans. I don't think there would be a U2 for Eno/Lanois to produce if it weren't for him ( in my humble opinion!).

Jack@forte

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
U2 have proved by binning Rubin and previously Chris Thomas on HTDAAB that if they don't like the production they won't use it,therefore they must be happy with what Steve brings to the party(girl!)